Subject: Starving Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Damant
Canada
Bowmanville
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am curious on how people play out the Starving rules. Page 14 indicates the process to follow when a player has starving labor. However, what it does not indicate is what to do if you have more than say 5 starving labor points. If a Region has more than 5 starving labor does he roll once on the Starving table or twice? I have always gone with the player only rolls once on the Starving table, no matter how many labor is in the Starving Pool. I always found it a little strange that a Sector State 1 Region could have many starving labor points but could only ever loose 1 area per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinette
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You express the number of starving labor points as the numerator, with the denominator being the number of areas you have poor control of. Depending on how many total areas you have control of, you find the right column and make a roll, with the result being how many areas you lose control of, if any, with poor control areas having to be selected first. It is in losing areas that you will lose labor for the next turn, as your polity shrinks.

Example: you have six starving labor points, two areas in poor control and a total of only nine areas (you had a bad harvest early on in the game). The region's Social State is only 1, so no modifier to the die roll. You'd roll on the first column (Your ratio is 3:1, so you don't get to the next column at 5:1), so you only lose an area on a roll of 6.

Is that clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Vandine
United States
Weaverville
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, that's not true. If your ratio is 3:1 as in the example you provided, then you would roll on column 2 (the 5:1 ratio) since, according to the instructions for the table you posted in your answer, you round UP when the number does not exactly match the indicated ratio (and your ratio is at least 1:1). Thus, in your example, you could lose an area on a roll of 5 or 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinette
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touché. I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.