JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We purchased and played our first game of Nusjord last night. We had a great time, but missed a couple things, and almost missed a few more. So in perusing the forum posts, I made a list of things that seem to be frequently missed.

During Setup you are recommended to use the Herring Deck
The Deck colors/fish types correspond with the categorical numbers on the face of the cards, and each card in the Appendix has its fish category listed.
For Reference:
Silver Fish
Blue Fish
BrownFish
=
=
=
100's
200's
300's
=
=
=
Herring Deck
Mackerel Deck
Codfish Deck

Using an Elder always costs a fish from the Banquet Table
Whether you are taking the Elder and then using him, or using one you have already taken, you must take a fish from the largest fish containing plate (and place it on the Elder). This isn't explicitly clear when the rules first mention taking and then using an Elder, but it is clarified on pg13 under "Using an Elder." You can take an Elder and not use its ability (presumably because the banquet table is empty).

The "Sailor" Elder does not double the gold bonus when feeding
The "Sailor" Elder's “+1” gold, as explained in the appendix, does not mean you get two gold per plate, you only get 1 gold (like normal) and bonus one wood per plate served.
Reference: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1879645/sailor-overpowered (see picture to the right)

Fishing Phase
1. How are action board shares treated during disbursement? This is an easy rule to miss. After feeding the Elders, you feed any of your shares on the action board, then foreign held shares, in that order. Finally, when disbursing fish from shares to your personal supply, any fish on the action board shares are returned to the general supply (they do not accumulate, so purchasing these shares does not get the purchaser the fish).

2. What if I don't have enough fish in the middle of a step? Who gets the fish? If you run out of fish while placing fish on Elders, Action Board Shares, or Foreign Held Shares, you can choose which of that unfulfilled single category gain fish.

Reserve Vs. Personal Supply
There are some effects that put resources into the reserve (wood, gold, and even ships as well as the expected fish). This is not your Personal Supply and as usual can’t be spent without transferring your reserve to your personal supply. Any gold in your reserve does not count for end-game scoring.
Reference: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1907495/game-end-scoring-qu...

All buildings who could be read to trigger themselves do so.
For instance "Joinery" building reads: "After you Build a Building: 2 wood into your reserve." When you build the Joinery (and every building afterwards), gain two wood in your reserve.
Confirmed by Uwe here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27329955#27329955

Did you make any other mistakes on your first plays? Do you think anything else could use some explanation for new people? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice summary! For anybody reading this thread in anticipation of teaching the game for the first time, I'd also add this:

Be on the lookout for the tiny "OR"
Note the very tiny "OR" on the Schooner (largest ship) between the wood/fish and the coins. It's easy to miss, and think you have to pay 8 wood, 8 fish, AND 4 coins. Instead it's (8 wood and 8 fish) OR 4 coins.
Additionally, some buildings (primarily from the C deck) have this same little "OR" between their resource costs. Make sure you look closely at your C buildings and note if any have the "OR".

When teaching the game, be sure to explicitly mention this and point out the Schooner example, otherwise, at some point in the game, there WILL be players mad at you. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
My players always stumble on needing a fish already on the plates to activate the fisherman, and then get even more confused when the Purveyor building gets played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
My players always stumble on needing a fish already on the plates to activate the fisherman, and then get even more confused when the Purveyor building gets played.

I don’t think any of them are called Fisherman. Do you mean elders in general?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I mean the sailor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Note the very tiny "OR" on the Schooner (largest ship) between the wood/fish and the coins. It's easy to miss, and think you have to pay 8 wood, 8 fish, AND 4 coins. Instead it's (8 wood and 8 fish) OR 4 coins.
Additionally, some buildings (primarily from the C deck) have this same little "OR" between their resource costs. Make sure you look closely at your C buildings and note if any have the "OR".

When teaching the game, be sure to explicitly mention this and point out the Schooner example, otherwise, at some point in the game, there WILL be players mad at you. whistle

Comically small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how the illustration further obscures it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well what do you know, you live and you learn. Thanks Grant, I've never noticed that OR either. Now that you mention it, it's obviously there, but oh my. Well, we still built many schooners, but you can believe the ship upgrade option has been popular around here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Nice summary! For anybody reading this thread in anticipation of teaching the game for the first time, I'd also add this:

I really should have thought about including this in my list, as almost the same thing happened to us on our first game. I noticed in the rules the Schooner could be purchased two different ways, I pointed it out while teaching it, then my partner went to purchase one at the end of the game and was at least elated she could keep her 4 gold (and only spend wood/fish).

For reference, the specific "or" on the Schooner is mentioned on page 13 under the "Notes" of the "Build a Ship" action explanation:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
The one we misplayed was the Hermitage (Codfish deck). The card reads as if Gold does not count for VP for any player (which can be a major game changer!), but the appendix says it's just the player who played the Hermitage. (At least, I think that's what it means.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
The one we misplayed was the Hermitage (Codfish deck). The card reads as if Gold does not count for VP for any player (which can be a major game changer!), but the appendix says it's just the player who played the Hermitage. (At least, I think that's what it means.)

Did it really make sense to your group that one building, built by one player, would suddenly make gold coins not worth points for all players? That would be so obviously broken. Have you seen any other buildings that affect any player besides the one who builds it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
the appendix says it's just the player who played the Hermitage. (At least, I think that's what it means.)

"You" and "your" are critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Ok, come on, really?

Oh come on, really? Are you completely unaware that opening a post with this phrase can only come across as hostile? If the answer is no, you really need to learn some social skills. If the answer is yes, my social skills prevent me from answering as you deserve.

Quote:
Did it really make sense to your group that one building, built by one player, would suddenly make gold coins not worth points for all players?

Yes, it made sense to us because of the wording on the card: "At game end: no VP for gold." It was so clear we never even consulted the appendix.

Quote:
That would be so obviously broken. Have you seen any other buildings that affect any player besides the one who builds it?

It showed up in our second game. We hadn't seen all the buildings in every deck. If you think us prescient enough to know that no other unexamined card affects other players, you greatly overestimate our psychic abilities.

And, for what it's worth, there are plenty of games in which:

A) not all rules make sense, and

B) there are cards that impact the game in that way. You seem to think we would know this is not that sort of game. By osmosis I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
sos1 wrote:
the appendix says it's just the player who played the Hermitage. (At least, I think that's what it means.)

"You" and "your" are critical.

Right. That's what we finally were pretty sure it meant. But when we first played, we actually didn't even look at the appendix. The card is pretty clear the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth mentioning. Honestly, we shouldn't need to print out a copy of the appendix for each player to play a game with plain English text on the cards. Reading the card should give enough of an understanding of what the card does. If there's something unclear, then it's worth mentioning here, so at least we can get an abbreviated list of potential trouble cards.

For example, if someone gets a C card in their hand that they think they understand from reading it, make plans around it, then find out too late it doesn't do what they think once it hits the table, or worse yet, they build it themselves and find out it doesn't do what they think it does during the endgame scoring process, that's not an amazing feeling. It's also not very streamlined to demand that each player pass the appendix around and look up what all their cards do even when many or most of them are clear, just in case there's a gotcha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Ok, come on, really?

Oh come on, really? Are you completely unaware that opening a post with this phrase can only come across as hostile? If the answer is no, you really need to learn some social skills. If the answer is yes, my social skills prevent me from answering as you deserve.

That's what we call a rhetorical question. You're not supposed to answer it.

Quote:
Quote:
Did it really make sense to your group that one building, built by one player, would suddenly make gold coins not worth points for all players?

Yes, it made sense to us because of the wording on the card: "At game end: no VP for gold." It was so clear we never even consulted the appendix.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I've played this game with dozens of people, and never has one of them thought that ANY building they built affected other players, let alone a building with such a severe, game-altering affect. I think your interpretation is pretty unusual.

Quote:
Quote:
That would be so obviously broken. Have you seen any other buildings that affect any player besides the one who builds it?

It showed up in our second game. We hadn't seen all the buildings in every deck. If you think us prescient enough to know that no other unexamined card affects other players, you greatly overestimate our psychic abilities.

Good news! No psychic abilities are required! You are allowed to just, simply, LOOK at the other cards!

Quote:
And, for what it's worth, there are plenty of games in which:

A) not all rules make sense, and

B) there are cards that impact the game in that way. You seem to think we would know this is not that sort of game. By osmosis I guess.

These are silly arguments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
sos1 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Ok, come on, really?

No, that's what I call a belittling statement. It serves no other purpose, especially followed by "Did it really make sense ..."

Can you really not see that's belittling and hostile?

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I don't know what to tell you.

I've gathered that already, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
sos1 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Ok, come on, really?

No, that's what I call a belittling statement. It serves no other purpose, especially followed by "Did it really make sense ..."

It was merely meant to convey my incredulity that not only one person, but a whole group of people, could interpret such an effect in such a way. You blew my mind, and in that state I failed to realize how that statement might come across. My apologies.

EDIT: I removed that part of my post. You're right, it served no purpose beyond hostility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
sos1 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
sos1 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Ok, come on, really?

It was merely meant to convey my incredulity that not only one person, but a whole group of people, could interpret such an effect in such a way. You blew my mind, and in that state I failed to realize how that statement might come across. My apologies.

Apology accepted, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
We've only played three times now, and only with the Herring Deck, but I'm not sure I would have assumed a building I built could affect other players.

But maybe I'm forgetting a building I've seen, or definitely haven't seen all the building powers. Anyway, if a building on your player board could affect other players, I would hope it's clearly noted on the card (not just the appendix). Otherwise it seems a safe assumption that building effects only apply to the person who built it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are You Ignoring those Frequently Missed/Confused Rules?
quietcorn wrote:
It's worth mentioning. Honestly, we shouldn't need to print out a copy of the appendix for each player to play a game with plain English text on the cards. Reading the card should give enough of an understanding of what the card does. If there's something unclear, then it's worth mentioning here, so at least we can get an abbreviated list of potential trouble cards.

For example, if someone gets a C card in their hand that they think they understand from reading it, make plans around it, then find out too late it doesn't do what they think once it hits the table, or worse yet, they build it themselves and find out it doesn't do what they think it does during the endgame scoring process, that's not an amazing feeling. It's also not very streamlined to demand that each player pass the appendix around and look up what all their cards do even when many or most of them are clear, just in case there's a gotcha.
I fear you protest too much. Where there is an Appendix included in the game it is a pretty heavy hint that you should at least give it the once over. I still feel the urge to double check on trigger combos when pondering building purchases because as there are three decks, you might not come across any particular building that often; it doesn't feel any great hardship.

Given you will usually be planning several action rounds ahead, it is simply foolish not to spend a little down time checking exactly what a C building is all about, so I have very limited sympathy for anyone overlooking a requirement or exact means of scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess...

No reason cards should say what they do, when they spend the space saying what they do kind of but sometimes not at all I guess? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
quietcorn wrote:
I like how the illustration further obscures it.

ENHANCE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

D'oh!! We've been playing this wrong! Never saw that "or" and missed it in the rulebook. Those were some expensive ships!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth further calling out that we can Take an Elder for "free" (as you said presumably because the banquet table is empty) if you don't use his power. Glad I caught this now as I'm in the middle of introducing the game to the neighborhood kids!

I played a bunch of solo games a month or so back and don't remember if I played this correctly, probably not. I think what threw me is that: 1) it's unwritten; 2) The phrase "In both cases..." stuck in my mind and it made me assume all scenarios. In reality this phrase shows up under the "Using an Elder" section.

[edit: to be fair, this probably wouldn't show up in solo anyways]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.