Subject: Fog of war rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthes W
Germany
Leverkusen
NRW
flag msg tools
Just an idea we had while thinking about TI4 after some time of playing.

I really don't know if someone already got the same idea and posted it already. Since there is TI3 and all the expansions I don't wanted to search the entire Forum or this.

Fun fact, since TI4 you know about having an planet card or a red/empty System.

Our thought:
We deal the tiles like normal.
No one is allowed to have a look.
Place the universe like described in the rules.

Of course you can't be sure now, that no red tiles are adjected... but that's just like the universe was build. Just by chance.

When you place your command counter for movement you first place it after that flip the tile.
Move into a planet system: Go like normal.
Move into a super nova: Fleet gone
Move into asteroid field: depends on your technology

Just a little bit more "exploration".

Good Idea? Bad idea? Someone is already playing like this and give some reviews?

Best regards
Matthes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar ideas have been used in TI3. While I haven't used them myself, the risk of death via Supernova or Asteroid is too great to be worth making any movements of unexplored systems other than maybe a scout (or at least until you know for sure that they aren't dangerous systems).

Plus, to me it's a bit unrealistic. A Supernova isn't going to be something you didn't notice until it's too late. Asteroids, maybe, but not a supernova. (Granted, realism isn't exactly the best "excuse" for it in a game like this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if all adjacent red tiles we're revealed when you enter a blue tile? You can see the large anomalies from a small distance, but can't quite make out the planet until you arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
What if all adjacent red tiles we're revealed when you enter a blue tile? You can see the large anomalies from a small distance, but can't quite make out the planet until you arrive.

That might work, particularly because in TI4 there is a more distinct separation between the planet tiles and non-planet tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just take out the supernova for this variant? And maybe make a one-time 9+ attack if you're entering an astroid system w/o the tech (and now now more moving into it w/o the tech).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthes W
Germany
Leverkusen
NRW
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input.

Maybe other solutions:

1) Entering a red tile like the supernova, astroid field without tech: End your turn, return fleet to starting hex. Leave CC in the activated hex.

2) While creating the galaxy, place blue tiles facedown, red tiles face up. So the fog of war applies only to planet tiles.

My intention is simple a little bit to give the game a more random part.
In our game, we don't like it to be lucky while dealing the planet cards and put best planets to your own starting point.

We also played a variant to build the galaxy like normal, took the home systems, shuffled them and put them randomly to the starting positions. Helped a little bit. Of course you need to change table positions.

With fog of war, you need additionally to think about: Which carrier, how many GF.

Best regards
Matthes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have the red-backed systems face up, and the blue-backed face down.

You can see where planets are, but no details until you get close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sinner

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the idea of either (a) Flipping the red-backed tiles once an adjacent tile has been explored, or (b) Flipping red tiles upon activation, but simply wasting the Command Counter if the reveals a special system the player is unable to move into.

That said, it feels like it would be rare that a player would risk wasting a Command Counter to move into a red system, particularly when they might reveal a Gravity Rift. So perhaps option A is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.