Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.mwgames.com/JumpGate ... check it out! ;-D
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(First, I'll apologize for posting here earlier and containing a link to my BGG Forum announcement for a KS project -- I didn't realize it was frowned upon ... I will not do that again.)

In late 2014, I was starting to work on the game design for Tales of Danger #1: Days of Discovery, which is set in Lisbon in the year 1290. I was needing help with my medieval Portuguese names, history, culture, etc. ... so I started a thread in these forums asking my questions. (link to the original thread)

The conversation that happened there was invaluable to me developing the game. And after 3-1/2 years (and a couple of points where I nearly shelved it), I am finally complete and have it ready.

Here's a run down on the 6 main Sponsor characters that came out of it (all of the rest of the "people" in the game are generic roles: Nuns, Priests, Minstrels, Innkeepers, etc.) ...

Dom Dinis I (King of Portugal), Dona Isabel (Queen of Portugal) and Bispo Domingos Anes Jardo (Bishop of Lisbon) are historic people who were in those roles in the year the game is set. (Although the Bishop was pretty old and would pass away within a few years.)

Mateus Geraldes da Silva (Merchants Guild) is a full fictional character, and his name is based on a combination of my and my father's names. (It's one of the items worked out in that old thread.) And I understand that I'm taking a bit of liberty here calling them the "Merchants Guild" because it would still be a few decades before they would formally be part of the government. At this point, they did have a group insurance fund ("Merchants Purse"), but wouldn't be labeled a "guild" yet ... at least not in any historic texts I found.

Dona Adelaide de Lamego (Noble Matriarch) is also a fictional character, and a bit of creative license. This noblewoman is a widow that is running her family's estate through her business managers. Clarifying her location, name, and business setup were also part of that old thread.

Finally, Lourenco Martins (Knights Templar) was the name of a Templar head at some point in history, but may not have exactly overlapped the year this game is set in -- again, it's hard to find clear historical listings. At this point in time, the Templars were trending downward and within a couple of decades would be transitioned into the "Order of Christ" in Portugal ... which was a lot better situation than they got in the rest of Europe!

Another fun point of making an alt-history game is that as soon as you hit Act 3 in the game and launch your ship toward the fictional land that no longer exists in the middle of the Atlantic, our history books are no longer our guide on what happens next.

So, again, thank you all so much for the help needed 3-1/2 years ago! The folks who were active in that thread will find their names on the credits page in the rule book. It meant a lot.

Cheers,
-Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt! Glad to have helped. Best of luck for the project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.