Subject: Official Hardcore Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Aronson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Daniel here, creator of The Island of El Dorado. The team and I wanted to follow up on the thread from a few weeks ago and announce an exciting new mode of play. Like I said on the other thread, we love the passion players have for their games. That passion is what makes the board game community so special, and when that passion is directed towards making board games better, it brings new players in and takes seasoned players deeper into a great hobby. This discussion is the major advantage which Kickstarters have over retail games. You can dialogue with the designers and developers and bring real change to the final product.

You are helping us create a game from nothing. This game would not exist without you.

When designing The Island of El Dorado, we wanted it to be a game that our wives (who are not gamers) would actually play with us; a game that EVERYONE could enjoy, regardless of experience or skill level. Every decision was based on creating a great gateway game; one that hardcore gamers can bring to a casual gamer’s house to ease them into a realm of experiences involving more strategy and focus. The mechanics are simple, but the tactical decisions are complex. Casual gamers have enough quick-and-easy fun to keep them engaged and there’s just enough luck to keep a relatively level playing field.

Still, there exists a subset of gamers who prefer their games to be entirely tactical, with little to no luck affecting the strategies they’ve put in place. We want our game to be just as much fun for these players as it is for a first-time gamer, so today we’re introducing “hardcore mode”, a supplementary set of rules which shifts the dynamic and feel of the game deeper into the realm of forward-thinking, calculated strategy.

We view this set of rules as a nice “next step” as gamers’ abilities evolve. Our standard rules will get people around the table and having fun, and our hardcore rules will serve players who want to delve a little deeper.

Here it is! Thanks, as always, for your feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P_r3LmJEVsitZ1YHxIKmySUSnJh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Your dedication to your customers is duly noted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmb

Those are nice tweaks to the game, and I'll directly buy:
thumbsup have 6 action points instead of the dice (btw one of my dice is missing one black spot on the 6 side)
thumbsup pay 1 gold to re-roll
thumbsup maximum hand size = 10

About placing teh shrines(have each player start with a srine and so on...), I like the exploration aspect of the game, that's what drawn me into it (I confess), so I'll skip this part.

By seeing the special setup of the cave shrine ("shuffle the cave shrine into the bottom half of the cave stack") I had the idea to shuffle the 3 shrines in 3 different equal stacks of tiles and then pile them up, so that the very last shrine appear after at least 2/3 of the map is explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the new rules. I do like the original rules for the exact reason you created it. My wife will play this game with me. I've also used it with some friends who do not play a lot of strategy games, and they really liked it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Aronson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
goryon wrote:

Those are nice tweaks to the game, and I'll directly buy:
thumbsup have 6 action points instead of the dice (btw one of my dice is missing one black spot on the 6 side)
thumbsup pay 1 gold to re-roll
thumbsup maximum hand size = 10

About placing teh shrines(have each player start with a srine and so on...), I like the exploration aspect of the game, that's what drawn me into it (I confess), so I'll skip this part.

By seeing the special setup of the cave shrine ("shuffle the cave shrine into the bottom half of the cave stack") I had the idea to shuffle the 3 shrines in 3 different equal stacks of tiles and then pile them up, so that the very last shrine appear after at least 2/3 of the map is explored.

Awesome! You play it however you’ll enjoy it the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Aronson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
vrtladept wrote:
Thanks for the new rules. I do like the original rules for the exact reason you created it. My wife will play this game with me. I've also used it with some friends who do not play a lot of strategy games, and they really liked it as well.

Thanks for writing this! My wife actually will still play the game with me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
goryon wrote:

I agree with you in this point. In our first game all the shrines appeared at the end and where together in one corner of the board. For the second game we divided the tile in three groups, add a shrine in each of them, and shuffled it. Then we put the 3 blocks one on top of each other.

We did not do that for the cave. Thinking about that, it could be nice to ensure the treasure did not appear too early. On the other hand, I think it could be a nice incentive to go to the cave to know that you could find the jackpot very early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
@Daniel Aronson
For more equity between players and to keep the exploration side safe, can I suggest this for the hardcore mode: the use of shaded tiles which allow to mark the placement place once a special tile is discovered. You should add 7 shaded special tiles.

3 shaded shrine tiles (numbered from 1 to 3)
1 shaded cave entry tiles (numbered 4)
2 shaded garden tiles (numbered from 5 to 6)
1 shaded water tile (numbered 7)

depending on the number of players, form a line of shaded tiles in ascending order (starting with tile number 1) e. g. for 3 players: shaded tiles 1 to 3
A shaded tile marks a priority spawn location for the special tiles discovered.

rule 1:
during exploration a player can choose (only once per play session) to place a shaded tile in play, in this case he must necessarily choose the shaded tile with the smallest number and place it in play near his explorer.

rule 2
When an explorer discovers a special and a corresponding shaded tile is already in play, player must place the discovered special tile on the top of the shaded tile that suits. (starting with the shaded tile with the lowest number).
If no corresponding shaded tile is in play, proceed with the usual placement of the tiles( i. e. near the explorer)

rule 3
Units and explorers can cross a shaded tile in play but cannot stop there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.