Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Jandt
United States
Watertown
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Act II is way too easy.

I was playing a solo game with Wang as my character and Jack, Gracie, and Egg as companions backing me up.

I finished Act I via the Audacity Track after completing Wang's Dragon Sword quest. Going into Act II I had reached Level 6 for the first time.

Since I was playing solo, I didn't need any keys to go after Lo Pan. So I just walked in like the wind, popped Dave in the face, and when he ran, I activated my "My Mind and Spirit are One" ability to take a second turn immediately. I took the elevator up and popped him in the face a couple more times and shook the Pillars of Heaven.

All in all it took me more time to set up Act II than it did to complete it.

Am I doing something wrong here or can Wang just do things no one else can do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo A couple of people have reported this so far. I haven't played yet, but have you checked out the bottom of Rules Page 8 under "DIRECTOR'S CUT," which lists four ways to increase the game difficulty level?

There are also the further upgraded minion cards in the Six Demon Bag!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
It is too easy. I'm going to probably do the directors cut. After three solo, one solo-as-2P, and a 3-player games, lo pan has gone down in 2-3 rounds.

Solo:
Eddie
Eddie
Wang
Eddie & Wang

3-player:
Egg, Margo, Jack

In the 3P game, it took 8 turns to win, less than 3 rounds. We were all pretty loaded up with defense and combat upgrades so it was anti-climactic. Margo only took two turns in act II. Egg can basically never miss in combat with his upgrades and Jack can take lo pan down twice as fast.

I'm thinking of house rules because I'm still a fan of the game but it needs a tougher final push. Directors cut should help and maybe enemy phase goes first in act II so you immediately start on the defense. Also thinking about having storms take elevators because Rain never left level 1 and we could get our keys on level threeso we never needed to go there. Lightning never struck. Thunder was handily defended except for when he exploded. I think I'll try it with majority hard minions too. The elements are there. I still dig the game and want to see how it is with the difficulty adjustments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's disappointing. The only thing worse than an impossible-to-win co-op is a way too easy one. Ugh. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravynlocke wrote:
Act II is way too easy.

I was playing a solo game with Wang as my character and Jack, Gracie, and Egg as companions backing me up.

I finished Act I via the Audacity Track after completing Wang's Dragon Sword quest. Going into Act II I had reached Level 6 for the first time.

Since I was playing solo, I didn't need any keys to go after Lo Pan. So I just walked in like the wind, popped Dave in the face, and when he ran, I activated my "My Mind and Spirit are One" ability to take a second turn immediately. I took the elevator up and popped him in the face a couple more times and shook the Pillars of Heaven.

All in all it took me more time to set up Act II than it did to complete it.

Am I doing something wrong here or can Wang just do things no one else can do

Remember: Each Quest and Showdown Quest is different! The way they're setup and how you play them is also a part of this! The more success you have on the front, the EASIER Act II is as well! Please keep that in mind! If you do really well on the front, you're more powerful and thus Act II is easier! That's part of the game --- If you still feel like it's too easy, simply make all of your enemies HARD in ACT I and ACT II and try the game again. If you're playing with less than 4 players, simply do NOT play with Companion Cards - that raises the difficulty a lot right there from the start.

Report back after you've tried those solutions

Thanks!

Chris

PS: Even though the game has a Ghost Sorcerer Lo Pan in it, it's not meant to be Ghost Stories either... it's a narrative adventure experience --- Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition is one of my favorite games, and I've never lost ever... but it's still awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
United States
Watertown
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Again, I wasn't sure if I had just lined everything up right, or it was the system.

Going to play this with my group this weekend, will see how it goes with more people.

And I have to say that had I needed a key with solo, I probably would have been in ... Big Trouble, as I wouldn't have been able to just focus on Lo Pan and knock him out so quickly.

As it is, this could easily become my favorite beer & pretzels game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravynlocke wrote:
Again, I wasn't sure if I had just lined everything up right, or it was the system.

Going to play this with my group this weekend, will see how it goes with more people.

And I have to say that had I needed a key with solo, I probably would have been in ... Big Trouble, as I wouldn't have been able to just focus on Lo Pan and knock him out so quickly.

As it is, this could easily become my favorite beer & pretzels game.

You got it! Really hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
I've played act I again with no companions or special abilities and all hard minions. Definitely makes action die allocation much riskier and turns fly by using all three starting die to fight. More evasion tactics and task action quests vs skill checks. Only leveled up to 3 for two characters and immediately took the extra die. I think it is higher stakes this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Well, that's disappointing. The only thing worse than an impossible-to-win co-op is a way too easy one. Ugh. shake

There are tons of ways to increase game difficulty. And if they’re going to scale difficulty, it’s much better that the base game be easy and then you scale it up to taste rather than the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Forster wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

There are tons of ways to increase game difficulty. And if they’re going to scale difficulty, it’s much better that the base game be easy and then you scale it up to taste rather than the other way around.

For this type of Story-based Narrative Choose your own adventure-esque type of game, Yes, You don't want to stomp people's faces in - you want people to have a fun experience enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.