Hide
13 Posts

Cataclysm: A Second World War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Naval movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
terry Devery
msg tools
I have to say I am having some trouble getting my head around the rules and concepts. but this is a gem of a game. However Could some one help me? What is considered to be an adjacent naval area for a unit in port in a coastal area? For example can Japanese Naval units in Hokkaido reach Pearl Harbour using extended range during an operation I saw this move as an example on this forum,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which rule are you referencing? Range during an operation or occupation of areas adjacent to a port while belligerent?

And might I humbly recommend this Rules Overview I put together? It might help clear some things up as your reading the rules:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, this is a meaty game to wrap your head around. I'm still working on it. I highly recommend setting up the game (IRL or vassal) and trying a turn or two. Definitely watch Bridger's video. Then watch it again, and again… On a repeat run, I found it helpful to pause the video every time a new rule came up and read through the whole section in the rule book.
terry devery wrote:
What is considered to be an adjacent naval area for a unit in port in a coastal area?
Cataclysm uses a lot of specific terminology, so let's straighten some things out first:
- there is no such thing as a naval area, only sea areas, mixed areas, and land areas
- every coastal area is a port
- only naval units would care about being in a port
- so instead of "a unit in port in a coastal area" you might say "a naval unit in a coastal area"

terry devery wrote:
can Japanese Naval units in Hokkaido reach Pearl Harbour using extended range during an operation
The rules say:
7.3.1 Naval Range wrote:
The range of a unit using naval movement is two sea or mixed areas from a friendly port.
7.3.3 Extended Range wrote:
At the start of an operation (9.2), the range of activated air and/or naval units may be extended one area by declaring extended range and accepting a –1 penalty to combat scores involving extended range units during the operation.
So yes, a Japanese naval unit in Hokkaido can reach Pearl Harbor during an operation by using extended range. It would trace naval movement through the unnamed sea area northeast of Hokkaido, then to the unnamed sea area directly east, and then do the Hawaiian Islands to the southeast.

Keep in mind that unless the Japanese have a logistics unit in Hokkaido they'll be fighting Pearl Harbor at not only a -1 for extended range, but also a -1 for Limited Supply. Historically, this was the fascist surprise attack against the Democracies, so if your game follows that path, at least the US will have a -1 surprise penalty of their own.

(I'm new to the game myself, so I would appreciate any corrections.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Keep in mind that unless the Japanese have a logistics unit in Hokkaido they'll be fighting Pearl Harbor at not only a -1 for extended range, but also a -1 for Limited Supply. Historically, this was the fascist surprise attack against the Democracies, so if your game follows that path, at least the US will have a -1 surprise penalty of their own.

The Japanese are not at limited supply in Hokkaido; you can trace supply into but not through a restricted area. However, the occupation limit would be one, so you would need a logistics unit to stack two fleets in Hokkaido.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the maps in front of me, but the logistics unit increases stacking in this instance (thereby allowing Japan to bring 2 naval units to the fight, instead of just one).

I don't think the limited supply is an issue for Japan, so they would NOT get that -1 modifier (only the -1 for extended range).

-K

edit: ninja'd by Mike ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically: Remember that supply is checked *before* units move into the target area. So if an operation was launched from Hokkaido, supply is checked first, then the units move. The units are in supply in Hokkaido (since, as pointed out above, you trace into but not through Restricted terrain), therefore they are in supply for the operation.

Think of it as the units in question stocking up for the operation before the move out to launch the operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conceivably, the Japanese could also bring two strategic air to the fight from a logistically marked Hokkaido as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if the strat air are doing an OPERATION.

Support is always to an adjacent area, regardless of the range of the units; i.e. strategic air has the same SUPPORT RANGE as tactical air.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well sure, but in a naval operation strat air can be activated as part of the main operation, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Well sure, but in a naval operation strat air can be activated as part of the main operation, correct?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to emphasize that the 'bring' would require them to be part of the operation, not just as support.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Specifically: Remember that supply is checked *before* units move into the target area. So if an operation was launched from Hokkaido, supply is checked first, then the units move. The units are in supply in Hokkaido (since, as pointed out above, you trace into but not through Restricted terrain), therefore they are in supply for the operation.

Yup. This was the point I was missing. Thanks again, Bridger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry Devery
msg tools
Thanks Adam. Have watched and will watch again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.