Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Modifying Attack With Focus Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Bezio

Maine
msg tools
Hello All!

I was just playing a match with a friend who had the pilot Dengar on his ship.

During his activation phase he threw down a Focus token

During the attack phase he then rolled 4 dice.
-The initial roll was:
-2 hits
-1 Focus
-1 Blank

He then used his focus token first to change the Focus to a hit.
-3 Hits
-1 Blank

Then he used Dengar's ability to reroll his Blank result which then became a Focus result.
-3 Hits
-1 Focus

He said he was then able to change the Focus result to a hit because he had spent the Focus Token. I disagreed stating that the Focus Token was only able to change results at the time that it was played and not retroactively.

What are the rules concerning this scenario?
***Are Focus Tokens able to change results retroactively?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mb
No, he should use Dengar crew ability first and then spend the focus. I assume you mean Dengar crew because Dengar pilot has a different ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability of a Focus token goes off when it is spent and only when it's spent. It's not a standing effect for any future rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As above, the focus token only changes all the focus results present at the time it was spent. You were technically correct (the best kind of correct!) to object.

However, in reality there is no reason your friend wouldn't do the reroll first (in case he got a focus) and then spend the token. The practical result of what he did, is exactly what he should have done if he'd followed the steps in a logical order, regardless of knowledge of the game before the roll.

He hasn't "cheated" since he would gain no possible benefit by doing it in the order he did. Arguably he might have hurt himself (wasting the focus token before he knew what the re-roll result was - rolling that extra hit might have been all that he needed).

Apart from calling him out for doing it in the wrong order, I wouldn't object in this case or say the extra focus doesn't count. Maybe if you were in a tournament, or it's the kind of annoying thing he does to you a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls