Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. What does the rulebook mean by ‘If you choose to use a double attribute dice it must be taken BEFORE taking an action’?

I originally thought that meant ‘before you assign any of your dice to take any other actions’ on your turn, but answering someone else’s question, it was said that you could take a fate die to give yourself more actions if you were out (in that case, it was in order for someone to have more dice for skill checks).

2. For task checks on quests, can you use fate dice? If so, can you use a double action fate die to satisfy two different boxes of the matching type (such as 2 mind spaces with a single mind double action fate die)?

3. If you are doing a quest, and have an unexpected skill check during it, can you wait until a future turn to resolve it? (Originally I had thought skill checks were a free action, so you could attempt them when you’re ready, but reading another rules question, it sounded like they were mandatory to take immediately, and I just wanted to verify that)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to use the double attribute dice before an individual action (you can't decide you need it mid-action and add it. It doesn't have to be your first action though.
2. You can use fate dice but they only count as 1 box, not 2
3. I don't have the rules out, so now you've got me questioning this...hehe
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russonc wrote:
You need to use the double attribute dice before an individual action (you can't decide you need it mid-action and add it. It doesn't have to be your first action though.
2. You can use fate dice but they only count as 1 box, not 2
3. I don't have the rules out, so now you've got me questioning this...hehe


I disagree on #2. They are two of a thing, that's the point of the die.

For 3, it happens right away, no chance to do it later. We learned quickly not to start side quests with just 1 die left.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
russonc wrote:
You need to use the double attribute dice before an individual action (you can't decide you need it mid-action and add it. It doesn't have to be your first action though.
2. You can use fate dice but they only count as 1 box, not 2


I disagree on #2. They are two of a thing, that's the point of the die.


It's not 100% clear either way.

The rules say.
Quote:

Double Mind / Body / Spirit - If you choose to use a double attribute dice it must be taken BEFORE taking an action. A Fate Die with a double Body, Mind, or Spirit is spent like an Action Die by slotting it into your Hero Board. Because it's a double, it doubles the result of the chosen action. If used in an epic slot, it doubles the result of the epic version of that action. For example, using a double Body Fate Die to take a Movement action will allow you to move 2 spaces, twice. Or using it for a Combat Check will give you two skill dice instead of one to use in your Combat Roll (see Combat on pg. 17).
You may use these Fate Dice on Upgrade Cards and Zone Actions, but they are NOT triggered twice.


Quote:
Task Action A Task Action represents of a hero attempting to accomplish a goal or overcome an obstacle using Mind, Body, or Spirit. Task Actions require the allocation of Action Dice matching exactly the attribute requirements of the Task (depicted with attribute icons). Tasks can appear on Quest events, Upgrade Cards, or Zone Effects.


As the tasks are actions, the rules suggest it would count as 2, but everywhere except quests the fate die does NOT double a task.

From the RAW it seems you could use Fate as 2 faces for Quests, so I would likely allow it. But it could easily have been a slight omission in the rules. I'll await the FAQ clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zone actions are like using a die to get an item from a shop. With the rules you just listed, you can use them for tasks on quests as a 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Zone actions are like using a die to get an item from a shop. With the rules you just listed, you can use them for tasks on quests as a 2.


That's exactly what I said, yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Zone actions are like using a die to get an item from a shop. With the rules you just listed, you can use them for tasks on quests as a 2.


That's exactly what I said, yes.


My apologies. Some how I misread that really badly. I blame not being awake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
1. What does the rulebook mean by ‘If you choose to use a double attribute dice it must be taken BEFORE taking an action’?

JUST LIKE SPENDING ACTIONS, YOU MUST USE THE DOUBLE FATE DIE LIKE A NORMAL ACTION DIE - YOU CAN'T SPEND ACTIONS MID-ACTION, SUCH AS WHEN IN COMBAT, OH I NEED MORE DICE, LET ME GRAB THAT FATE DIE... FOR MOVEMENT IT DOESN'T MATTER... YOU CAN MOVE ONCE WITH ONE DIE, THEN TAKE A FATE DIE, THEN MORE MORE ETC... BUT NOT DURING AN ACTION ITSELF. THIS IS MOSTLY IMPORTANT FOR COMBAT AND SKILL CHECKS

I originally thought that meant ‘before you assign any of your dice to take any other actions’ on your turn, but answering someone else’s question, it was said that you could take a fate die to give yourself more actions if you were out (in that case, it was in order for someone to have more dice for skill checks).

2. For task checks on quests, can you use fate dice? If so, can you use a double action fate die to satisfy two different boxes of the matching type (such as 2 mind spaces with a single mind double action fate die)?


YES THIS DOUBLES THE ACTION FOR TASK ACTIONS -- JUST NOT TASK ACTIONS FROM THE BOARD ZONE ACTIONS AND NOT ANY TASK ACTIONS ON HERO UPGRADE OR REWARD UPGRADE CARDS.

3. If you are doing a quest, and have an unexpected skill check during it, can you wait until a future turn to resolve it? (Originally I had thought skill checks were a free action, so you could attempt them when you’re ready, but reading another rules question, it sounded like they were mandatory to take immediately, and I just wanted to verify that)

NO, THE REASON YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST 1 ACTION IN ORDER TO TRIGGER A QUEST TOKEN TO CONTINUE A QUEST OR START A QUEST, IS BECAUSE YOU MUST ROLL THE SKILL CHECK AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT. SO NO, YOU MUST ATTEMPT IT, MOST OF THEM, IF YOU FAIL YOU CONTINUE IN THE QUEST ANYWAY. VERY VERY FEW MAKE YOU COMPLETE IT TO CONTINUE. IF YOU ROLL A SKILL CHECK, AND FAIL, AND IT SAYS YOU MUST PASS TO CONTINUE, THEN SOMEONE ELSE CAN USUALLY COME AND HELP WITH THAT CHECK ON A FUTURE TURN.OR YOU CAN DO IT NEXT TURN. OR YOU CAN THEN LEAVE THE QUEST TO MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE, BUT THIS IS ULTRA RARE.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbatarlis wrote:
Matt Boehland wrote:
1. What does the rulebook mean by ‘If you choose to use a double attribute dice it must be taken BEFORE taking an action’?

JUST LIKE SPENDING ACTIONS, YOU MUST USE THE DOUBLE FATE DIE LIKE A NORMAL ACTION DIE - YOU CAN'T SPEND ACTIONS MID-ACTION, SUCH AS WHEN IN COMBAT, OH I NEED MORE DICE, LET ME GRAB THAT FATE DIE... FOR MOVEMENT IT DOESN'T MATTER... YOU CAN MOVE ONCE WITH ONE DIE, THEN TAKE A FATE DIE, THEN MORE MORE ETC... BUT NOT DURING AN ACTION ITSELF. THIS IS MOSTLY IMPORTANT FOR COMBAT AND SKILL CHECKS

Sorry, this is still clear as mud. The question has not been answered by anybody in this thread. All the answers have been wishy-washy.

Is this the answer?
* A double attribute fate die may be taken/used only as part of declaring an action when you are building the dice pool for the action. It may not be taken after rolling to resolve the action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They answered my question for me at least.

You can use the fate dice even if its not your first action, it just meant you can’t start resolving an action and then take a double-action fate die to give yourself more dice based on how the results are turning out (though there’s those other fate dice results you can use to give yourself more successes).

The ‘is this the answer?’ part of what you typed sounds correct to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
cbatarlis wrote:
Matt Boehland wrote:
1. What does the rulebook mean by ‘If you choose to use a double attribute dice it must be taken BEFORE taking an action’?

JUST LIKE SPENDING ACTIONS, YOU MUST USE THE DOUBLE FATE DIE LIKE A NORMAL ACTION DIE - YOU CAN'T SPEND ACTIONS MID-ACTION, SUCH AS WHEN IN COMBAT, OH I NEED MORE DICE, LET ME GRAB THAT FATE DIE... FOR MOVEMENT IT DOESN'T MATTER... YOU CAN MOVE ONCE WITH ONE DIE, THEN TAKE A FATE DIE, THEN MORE MORE ETC... BUT NOT DURING AN ACTION ITSELF. THIS IS MOSTLY IMPORTANT FOR COMBAT AND SKILL CHECKS

Sorry, this is still clear as mud. The question has not been answered by anybody in this thread. All the answers have been wishy-washy.

Is this the answer?
* A double attribute fate die may be taken/used only as part of declaring an action when you are building the dice pool for the action. It may not be taken after rolling to resolve the action.


Yes what you're saying above is true.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.