Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » General

Subject: Dungeon Degenerates/Too many bones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm torn between Dungeon Degenerates and Too many bones. Any thoughts or advices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblomov1 wrote:
I'm torn between Dungeon Degenerates and gargling squirrel innards and broken glass. Any thoughts or advices?

The answer couldn't be more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
... Leave early.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblomov1 wrote:
I'm torn between Dungeon Degenerates and Too many bones. Any thoughts or advices?

Loving both of them is breaking all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblomov1 wrote:

The production value of Too Many Bones is stellar
The gameplay and story telling of Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom are out of this world

I sold TMB to buy DD (direct from the publisher with the infamous shipping fee to Europe) and I don’t regret my choice one bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clear and funny.

HiveGod wrote:
Oblomov1 wrote:
I'm torn between Dungeon Degenerates and gargling squirrel innards and broken glass. Any thoughts or advices?

The answer couldn't be more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many bones if you are interested in tight and deep combat system,
Dungeon Degenerates if you are interested in storytelling and unique artstyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two very different games I think. TMB is very expensive but plays solo extremely well which is a huge plus for me. It's also far heavier, physically and in tactics and character skill development. DD is more approachable, and the artwork and theme are just amazing, so it will get more play with groups. I like both games for different reasons, which isn't very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Bones is a fine game, but didn't give me the immersive, thematic experience I was hoping for. Dungeon Degenerates has my vote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably post in both forums to get a more balanced view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got both, love both.

Push comes to shove, I'd pick TMB - but that's slightly unfair as it did cost over double the price!

But yeah, the focus is certainly a lot different - DD is more like old school fighting fantasy gamebooks; a simple (although better) 2d6 combat system, to give you brief dramatic fights inside a fun, choose your path story full of event and surprises. TMB flips that, and instead of story it just presents a bunch of random interludes, many of which lead to a rich, involved combat, with lots of tactical choices, and plenty of levelling up / character building options.

The combination of those mechanisms would be amazing...ly long and drawn out But perhaps an epic game in the making, if someone could pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Moneaux
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Have both and loving both. TMB is by far and away the better "game". So much more strategy and depth. The theme though just isn't really all that there. We honestly don't even read encounter cards any more, just flip and resolve. It is also usually much more brutal to play, you really have to be on your game and know your character. Amazing production value, this game has the potential to outlive me, that's crazy. Even the cards are plastic

DD is so much fun story telling. The encounters are interesting and thematic. There are a lot more monsters that all have thematic affixes/abilities. The branching story line is so interesting and replayable. The combat system does just enough to keep me interested but it's overall a more relaxed game than TMB. The production value is nowhere close to TMB as well. Thin, black bordered cards, cardboard tokens that don't punch well, standee stands that mark the (weak) cardboard. I got the base game and both expansions shipped for 170 and I'd honestly be furious about the quality but the game is so fantastic I don't care. I used some thick premium sleeves for the cards and am getting some translucent cubes to mark the player stats.

I honestly couldn't imagine my collection without either. If you could combine the storytelling of DD with the combat system and production values of TMB I'm sure bgg would implode. But since you can't do that, I will happily keep both.

If you want a deep strategic game to really "learn" and get good at, go for TMB. If you want a semi-relaxed romp through a beautifully realized and illustrated world, DD is it. Both are genre leading games IMO and you cannot go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own TMB and will support the DD second Kickstarter.

As some already pointed out, both games share some similarities but are much different in the end.

Both are cooperative fantasy based games with some narrative to drive the story.

DD is a much simpler game with a lot more story driven elements then TMB. It is basically a twisted adventure game in the Talisman/Runebound tradition with some roleplaying solo books decision making thrown in.

The core of TMB is its fantastic combat system. It's some sort of abstract skirmish game if that makes sense. And it has a deep character development aspect. Each character in TMB plays feels and plays totally different. Finding out its strength and weaknesses is part of the fun.

If you just compare the price of the base games, DD seems more affordable but as soon as you add the miniatures, books and stuff both end up being expensive games.

If I could only afford only one game I would take TMB without doubt. It is simply the more original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Oblomov1 wrote:

I would ask yourself; what is it about fantasy games that interest you?
If it’s the thrill of discovery, to be transported to another world,or to experience rich & unusual stories, Dungeon Degenerates is going to keep you entertained for a very long time. If you are instead interested in new ways to do math puzzles with your friends; buy just about any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all for your help. I am looking for a game with a rich storytelling so DD seems to be my cup of tea. I read the rulebook and I don't understand why it's rated as best at two player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
... Leave early.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblomov1 wrote:
Thank you all for your help. I am looking for a game with a rich storytelling so DD seems to be my cup of tea. I read the rulebook and I don't understand why it's rated as best at two player.

Maybe take that with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm not most people but - I really don't relate to the hemming & hawing that goes on in these forums. I like what I like & if it isn't totally the way I want to be I fill in the gaps or make my own. That's all to say, buy my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do it!

Sean Aaberg wrote:
buy my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblomov1 wrote:
I do it!

Sean Aaberg wrote:
buy my game.

I do it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.