Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan garlick
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I a man Loki g for an fantasy adventure game that is not overly heavy on rules especially lots of exception rules, is not based in an underground gray dungeon but has a mix of unique locations, kids 10-15 can play with dad and plays under 3 hours for 2-4 players. I am looking at Talisman 4th edition revised or Runebound 3 leaning to Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Talisman, but I'd go for Runebound.

Several reasons.

I think it's better without expansions than Talisman is.

Talisman frequently will go over three hours, especially with people new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous post.

Though I have only played Talisman electronically, I think Runebound 3rd edition, allows more freedom to move, explore and adventure.

The game also plays quite quickly once you familiarize yourself with the rules. Though I imagine it would be longer with more players, I now complete a solo game in aorund an hour.

Regarding the expansions, I would recomend chacking out Runebound (Third Edition): Unbreakable Bonds, since it allows you to play cooperatively (or solo), while also adding more assets, skills and characters, as well some automated tables and extra tokens to resolve the monsters' combat, which not only makes it easier to handle (without requiring other player to play for the monster), but also adds more variety, as you have now 4 monsters classes with different combat styles.

The other expansions are less game-altering, adding more quests, adventure cards, skills, assets and heroes, so it is entirely up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman, Runebound goes on forever and the downtime kills everything. Talisman however really needs 2-3 expansions to really shine, never played any expansions for Runebound because it sucked that no expansion could save it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.