United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
A question came up in a game on Monday...

What does "adjacent" mean?

For instance, on Lo Pan's Lo Mein:
EFFECT : Each hero inside or adjacent to the Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant loses 4 HEALTH

Does adjacent mean each Street space touching any part of the Restaurant Zone? or only the Street spaces adjacent to the entrances?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cyr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it that it's any street space that shares a wall with the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:

EFFECT : Each hero inside or adjacent to the Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant loses 4 HEALTH

Does adjacent mean each Street space touching any part of the Restaurant Zone? or only the Street spaces adjacent to the entrances?

Yes! If you're in any street space next to the Dragon of the Black Pool you're adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of which...
Chris, is S4 adjacent to the space #1 of the Dragon of the Black pool? It looks like a "smidge"..lol but we ruled against it because we drew a Big Trouble card at the start of game and would have effected all 4 starting heros!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cyr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
Speaking of which...
Chris, is S4 adjacent to the space #1 of the Dragon of the Black pool? It looks like a "smidge"..lol but we ruled against it because we drew a Big Trouble card at the start of game and would have effected all 4 starting heros!

Hmm, I'm assuming you're referring to the Hell on Earth Card:
Quote:
EFFECT: Hell portals open on spaces S4, S6, and S15. Heroes on or adjacent to these spaces gain a new Hell card, replacing any Hell cards already held.

While the previous definition for "adjacent" works well when talking about "in or adjacent to" a building, I'm not sure the same definition applies here. I would say only Heroes on those spaces or on spaces that you can move to from those spaces would be affected. But that's just my HO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that card... Curious on "official" take on this but, I like your thinking and rational on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
we drew a Big Trouble card at the start of game and would have effected all 4 starting heros!

Remember, the first turn you only do the spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awwwhhh... Did not remember that one! (Thanks!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecyr wrote:
I would say only Heroes on those spaces or on spaces that you can move to from those spaces would be affected. But that's just my HO.

The key question here is whether “adjacent” means something different when you’re talking about adjacent to a space vs adjacent to a building. I would say it has to be different, otherwise the movement rules (which assume at least implicitly a concept of adjacency) would go all kablooey. So I agree with your conclusion here. But I too am just offering a HO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we need ruling on this.. helps with card effects and minions movement as well!

...to clearify on minion movements, they count spaces to closest hero for movement route, if tied for closest, then higher Chi, if still tied, then players will choose...

My question is.. since minions can't go past red lines/doors... Do they just go to the door ways and just stay outside by door way towards closest hero, is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
My question is.. since minions can't go past red lines/doors... Do they just go to the door ways and just stay outside by door way towards closest hero, is that correct?

Exactly right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Forster wrote:
holywolfman wrote:
My question is.. since minions can't go past red lines/doors... Do they just go to the door ways and just stay outsider by door way towards closest hero, is that correct?

Exactly right.

Lol....reminds me like they are zombies!!! (I guess under Lol Pan's spell at least!)🤣

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
Greg Forster wrote:
holywolfman wrote:
My question is.. since minions can't go past red lines/doors... Do they just go to the door ways and just stay outsider by door way towards closest hero, is that correct?

Exactly right.

Lol....reminds me like they are zombies!!! (I guess under Lol Pan's spell at least!)🤣

Warriors . . . Come out and play . . . Warriors . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(clinking of glass)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:

Each street space touching the Restaurant Zone! --- Don't eat bad Lo Mein!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.