Subject: Is the Expansion Sheriff of Nottingham Merry Men rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abdullah Azzam
Jordan
Irbid
Irbid
flag msg tools
I am consider buying Sheriff of Nottingham base game and I wanted to know is the expansion a must have with the game. I saw how much it added to the game. However I prefer if someone that has tried it can give me his opinion about it and weather it is a must have or highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the base game first, then decide if you want more. The expansion is modular and many of the modes encourage deceit. I would let your game group first experience the base game before inserting artificial means to adjust behaviors. The only caveat is if you need/want to play with 6 players. You need the expansion for that. Just one man’s humble opinion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As most expansions, it adds complexity to the game. Luckily it comes in several different modules and you can use what you want.

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played the expansion a couple times and have felt no need to buy it for my own copy. It does some interesting things but ultimately it just makes the game more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have read, the best strategy still leans to always telling the truth, as for the most part - given extra rewards for contraband - the sheriff will do best by opening the bags.

Not sure if that's fair, but it's what has me on the fence about this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you use the app for scoring, but the expansion is not supported.

That was enough for me to not bother, I like the base game for what it is anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others said, play base first. The expansion makes contraband more beneficial. One of the things people find an issue with in the base game is a completely truthful person has a high percentage chance of winning. Putting more focus on contraband helps balance that.

So it really depends on the people you play with if the expansion is something to need or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
Like others said, play base first. The expansion makes contraband more beneficial. One of the things people find an issue with in the base game is a completely truthful person has a high percentage chance of winning. Putting more focus on contraband helps balance that.

Does it though?

With more value on contraband, the sherif has more incentive to open every bag (or charge for every bag through the nose). If that happens, it makes the truthful strategy even more powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also cards that make illegal some legal goods and things like that to make hard to win being honest.

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Rocha
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never play it without the expansion anymore, even with first-time players.
The base game can be won simply by being "too honest" in combination with the "I dare you to open my bag" strategy.
Adding the right modules from the expansions forces players to bluff more often and also negotiate bribes with the sheriff, which, in my opinion, is what really makes this game fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.