Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Paul Klee, "Tod und Feuer" (1940)
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm looking to purge my collection of all the games I don't play as much as I'd like, and auctioning a large portion of it off seems like a quick, attractive option. After much consideration I came up with a list of about 125 games. (https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/242893/draft-auction/page...)

Next I read through the auction rules and started looking through auctions on Geekbay. One thing I noticed immediately is that most auctions were seldom more than a single page (25 items) long. Occasionally I'd see an auction labeled "part 6".

I thought about this and I guess it makes sense. If I list 125 games in a single auction I suppose there's a chance that the games on page 2-5 just sort of fly under the radar, resulting in fewer bids and lower selling prices. There's also the factor of having to deal with shipping out 100+ games in the same time frame should most of them sell.

What do you think? Are these concerns founded or should I just go ahead and list them all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally think bigger the better - gives buyers a better chance to find multiple games they may want and thus save on shipping.

For me, I may find 1 game I want but after factoring In shipping, it’s close to a new copy, but usually if I can spread shipping costs over a few items, it makes it worthwhile for me.

Of course, it is ultimately up to how much time and effort you want to put into it. It can be quite time consuming listing 125 games not to mention how many packages you will have to prepare to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people aren't purging pages of games.

If they are, shipping that many could be a hassle.

If you can handle the volume, smart buyers will be alerted to your auction being subscribed to games they're looking for.

Math traders regularly page through thousands of items!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a buyer, 30-60 games is a nice size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't list a 125 games in one go. Unless you have a week off, reaching out to buyers, collecting money, packing, shipping, sending reminders etc. It's going to be major undertaking. Also, do you have enough boxes and filler material to ship 125 games?

If I were you I would do 25 at a time. Nice and clean, all on one page and still manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, max 1 or 2 pages in "titles only" view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
For me, max 1 or 2 pages in "titles only" view.

In case anyone is wondering, in "titles only" it is 250 entries per page (10 pages in standard layout).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone was interested, I ended up trimming about 25 games and running the auction with about 100. It ends tomorrow, give it a look!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/243267/back-grad-school-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just now finished shipping out all but one of the 96 games, I just want to say that I would NEVER, NEVER do this again. Maybe 50 games maximum.

Also, if I had to do it over I would put "PLEASE PLACE YOUR ORDERS AS ONE ORDER, NOT SIX" in big bold letters at the top of the auction. Also I would make it clear that you take the shipping quote or decline it - I'm not haggling over shipping with 70 different people and dealing with all of their exceptions and special cases again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
You were warned! by various posters.

Glad you sold the things though, which is ultimately what you wanted to do.

Had I seen your original post earlier I would have warned you regards the possible downsides regards the postage issues and people wanting this that and the other regards individual shipping needs.

I have used the Geek but I find a well known auction site to be better for me as there is no ambiguity regards postal costs and arrangements due to the site rules etc.

I personally would never do things in bulk again (similar issues to your own experiences). I do 2-4 per month and leave tit-bits in the text about more items forthcoming and to bookmark me as a seller.

I suppose the real solution, is not to buy so much to alleviate the need to purge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.