Recommend
60 
 Thumb up
 Hide
108 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: TI4 Map Generator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: map [+] TI4 [+] [View All]
Derek Peterson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://ti4-map-generator.derekpeterson.ca/

In an effort to streamline the TI4 setup process I've created a tool that can be used to generate preset maps for TI4. If you're interested check out the link and leave any feedback on it you have.

It attempts to create random maps that still provide players with approximately equal access to resources, influence and tech specialties. It does this by first randomly placing the tiles, and then picking tiles to swap that improve an overall balance score. Once there are no swaps possible that improve this balance score it finishes and outputs the final layout.

The score is calculated by allocating portions of each tiles resources/influence/tech specialties to a given home system. The portion each home system receives is proportional to the inverse distance squared of the home system to the tile in question (taking into account wormholes/supernova etc). These values are summed, and the variances of these sums between the home systems are used as the score to evaluate the quality of the tile placement.

Anyone interested in such things can check out the (admittedly messy) source here: https://github.com/DerekPPeterson/ti4-map-generator
71 
 Thumb up
153
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is really great! Keep it up!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no way to say whether it's working as far as being balanced, but this is a GREAT idea and I love the interface. Bookmarked, will use, have some GG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very awesome, great work ....

I might have to check out the source to see if I can try and fiddle with it to come up with some asymmetrical maps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the players that are closer to their neighbors have better planets?

Basically, seeing if they should still get bonus trade good for being nearer others or if the balanced map takes care of that.

At any rate, have some geek gold.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is completely awesome, many thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

One question regarding the weight sliders.
How do I know which settings are related to a certain outcome.

For example what is the difference between a resource slider all the way to the left versus all the way to the right?

What is the "recommended" setting?

Great work. Seriously considering using this as my new way of doing setup in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Peterson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the weight sliders, they control factors that weight the importance of evenly distributing that particular resource. E.g. of you put the tech slider to the left while the other sliders are in the middle or right the tool will ignore tech specialties when arranging the tiles.

Beyond that they're just relative importance. If you think having resources balanced is more important than influence then bump up the resource slider. I would recommend leaving them all at the same (nonzero value) though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
I dont know how hard it is to implement, but can we add exploration?
I mean, just make the tiles next to the home systems visible and make the rest of the tiles empty, when you want to revel a new tile just click on the empty tile and it will display the tile that it assigned to it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is pretty nifty. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Taylor
Scotland
Old Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome and I'll definitely be using it for our games going forward.

One question, would it be possible to have an output that has the tile images, but not the tile numbers?

I know which tiles are which numbers and it will help me when I set the game up ahead of time, but when I send a map to my players and tell them "This is the map we will be playing on" I think it will be more helpful to have pictures of the tiles rather then the big numbers on top of them.

Thanks again for this awesome tool!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great tool; no need to worry about the accuracy of the balance, unbalanced maps are more fun anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Peterson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Necr0mancer wrote:
This is awesome and I'll definitely be using it for our games going forward.

One question, would it be possible to have an output that has the tile images, but not the tile numbers?

I know which tiles are which numbers and it will help me when I set the game up ahead of time, but when I send a map to my players and tell them "This is the map we will be playing on" I think it will be more helpful to have pictures of the tiles rather then the big numbers on top of them.

Thanks again for this awesome tool!

Totally doable, check the website

Pro tip: If you want to regenerate the exact same map but with the display mode changed, copy the random seed value beside the map into the Random Seed box.

Mogron272 wrote:
I dont know how hard it is to implement, but can we add exploration?
I mean, just make the tiles next to the home systems visible and make the rest of the tiles empty, when you want to revel a new tile just click on the empty tile and it will display the tile that it assigned to it.

Sorry, unlikely to add that feature in. Would be cool to add the eXploration missing from TI though!
 
 Thumb up
20.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Henrique
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome tool mate!!

AckbarsRevenge wrote:
http://ti4-map-generator.derekpeterson.ca/
Anyone interested in such things can check out the (admittedly messy) source here: https://github.com/DerekPPeterson/ti4-map-generator.

The github link is returning 404 error page

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Peterson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eurofabio wrote:
Awesome tool mate!!

AckbarsRevenge wrote:
http://ti4-map-generator.derekpeterson.ca/
Anyone interested in such things can check out the (admittedly messy) source here: https://github.com/DerekPPeterson/ti4-map-generator.

The github link is returning 404 error page


D'oh, period in the url, fixed.
https://github.com/DerekPPeterson/ti4-map-generator
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Pudd
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome resource. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Brill! Thanks for this, bookmarked it
Does the generator change anything based on factions in play? Just curious

Have some GG, Regards Sal
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TR W
msg tools
This is fantastic, thank you for preparing it.

With the options for e.g. clear path to Mecatol, do these only apply if the relevant race is actively selected?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Thomassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This is amazing! Very good, we wil use it for our next session
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Peterson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
Brill! Thanks for this, bookmarked it
Does the generator change anything based on factions in play? Just curious

Have some GG, Regards Sal

Vonron wrote:
This is fantastic, thank you for preparing it.

With the options for e.g. clear path to Mecatol, do these only apply if the relevant race is actively selected?

These three options are the only faction-specific actions that the optimizer takes into account, and they apply if and only if they are checked and the relevant race is in play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked, but would it be possible to not have the same type of wormholes next to each other?

Great tool regardless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SwissQueso wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked, but would it be possible to not have the same type of wormholes next to each other?

Great tool regardless.

Indeed; I hadn't noticed that on my generation attempts, but that is a bug worth fixing as it is not a legal placement in normal galaxy construction
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Peterson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
SwissQueso wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked, but would it be possible to not have the same type of wormholes next to each other?

Great tool regardless.

Indeed; I hadn't noticed that on my generation attempts, but that is a bug worth fixing as it is not a legal placement in normal galaxy construction

Okay so I went over the tile selection and placement code again, actually following the rulebook this time (originally I was just grabbing a set of any random tiles and forgot to go back and revise it.)

In addition to adding the wormhole endpoint check I also corrected the number of red/blue tiles based on the number of players and started letting empty tiles be placed next to one another (I had accidentally prohibited this with the no anomalies adjacent rule).

Updates are live, so you shouldn't see these issues now.
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |