Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Brennan
Scotland
Carluke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking for some clarification on building production locations. I have about half a dozen games under my belt and until recently my group were simply paying the building cost and placing the card on the table. Any building bonuses were immediately taken but the production resources would not be generated until the production phase on the following turn. However after reading the rulebook again recently I discovered this:

Rulebook wrote:
Production Locations – these cards give the player specific Goods (Resources, Workers, cards, tokens, VPs) depicted in the card’s ability field. You gain the benefits immediately once such a Location is built and during each Production phase of the following rounds.

After reading this again it make it clear that production locations always provide their resources as soon as they are constructed, as well on every subsequent turn.

I noticed that in all my past games we've only managed top scores of around 50-60. However playing with this ruling we managed to achieve 70-80. I tried Atlanteans for the first time and found that I had ridiculous production (6 Gold, 4 workers, 5 wood, 5 stone from buildings alone). I was able to play almost my entire deck and my tableau was huge. Despite this I found it difficult to generate VPs as had to rely on Common buildings and technology tokens for the bulk of this.

Is it normal to have an insane production and most of your deck on the table by the end of the game? It almost felt a bit broken to me in all honesty. Would appreciate any advice as I think what I'm doing now is correct, but having played it differently in the past it almost seems too powerful and therefore too good to be true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bebbington
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes you are playing correctly. With Atlanteans you need to get lots of commons as well as good scoring actions as the faction locations are worth nothing. The game can be swingy but I enjoy that. It’s one of my favourite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brennan
Scotland
Carluke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally forgot to check this until now. Thanks for clearing that up, I'm glad to know that this is the case. It does seem a lot more possible to score big and cycle through the deck with the increased production.

In terms of playing the Atlanteans, I did realise that I probably relied too heavily on building faction cards. Despite their low cost and excellent abilities they do not contribute much to scoring. It didn't help that the other players shut down my draw engine by disabling or removing key buildings. I think I will need to focus more on defensive techs for the added protection in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.