Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Lowlands» Forums » General

Subject: Two Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm reading that Lowlands doesn't play well as a two player game. Would anyone who has played it at 2 player and more than 2 player counts comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
the game is okay with 2players, it's good with more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Daniels
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played it twice at 2p last night and really enjoyed it! Really have to weigh just how much you want to go into dike building while also managing to get the buildings you need. Very tactical and highly recommended at 2 still.

P.S. Woo Pig!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
derekmd33 wrote:
Played it twice at 2p last night and really enjoyed it! Really have to weigh just how much you want to go into dike building while also managing to get the buildings you need. Very tactical and highly recommended at 2 still.

P.S. Woo Pig!

Go Hogs Go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raphael albertos
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Hello ...
can anybody help me? I play more in two players. In Lowlands how does the flood / dike phase work? add the same number of wave cards as in a game for 04 players? Because in two players we will have less effort to build the dike since there are only two people. So I ask, the effect of the wave deck will always be the same number of cards per round (how many cards are used in the game)? Is it always the same number of cards regardless of the number of players? Or is there less flood in two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/slickerdrips
badge
There's a new sheriff in town
mbmbmbmbmb
Same wave cards, but it takes fewer resources to build each section of the dike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raphael albertos
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
and how function the choice of help? with 2 players and with more players...? the player show your cards and if its possible he MUST have to help or he can refuse?

tks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, just ordered the game and I pretty much exclusively play with two. Oh well, it's just one opinion. I might very well like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mo
United States
Glencoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope more people post here about their personal experience with 2 player games... Clear one review hated it, but I think we can benefit from more players's opinions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilborson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it with 2 and with some anxiety but we both really enjoyed both games. In the video above it really seems his heart is not in it and he plays Marty so badly that he is sunk so the winning players strategy is obvious. I reckon most games played this way would be poor.

My opinion there is more tension at a higher player count but this is still a really good game for 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/slickerdrips
badge
There's a new sheriff in town
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, we went through this in the comments I didn't base my opinion of the game (or any game) on the playthrough you see where I play against myself (sorry Marty fans, I'm breaking kayfabe), and I didn't deliberately play it badly because I didn't like the game. I try and show the games off just as well in the playthrough portion whatever I thought of them - coming up with two (ideally) different strategies on the fly always has the chance of picking a terrible one, even if I manage to completely remember them both! As I said, I doubled Marty's score in the Welcome To... playthrough and I absolutely loved that game.

I'm really glad you like the game, but I wonder if you'd think the same about the playthrough if you had disliked the game. The first impressions video is the one linked here though, I know what our experience was of playing the game and sadly that's what I describe in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Krueger
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve only played the game twice and both times at 2 player count. I really liked the game and found the tension in the game compelling. Hoping to play with more players soon, but I would happily play it more just at two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilborson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom

Sorry I wasn’t trying to bring it up again in the sense of reopening the debate with you. Clearly the comments in YouTube won’t be seen be all and the question was asked here, hence my response.

I also wasn’t suggesting that you played it badly because you didn’t like it, I suggested that it was obvious that you didn’t like and that you played it in such a way that made it unattractive. If someone in Ticket to Ride spends the first 5 rounds picking up new tickets it will not end well. Now I know this is hyperbole but that is the kind of point I am trying to make. I suspect that in a 2 player game of Lowlands a very keen eye needs to be kept on how much dike building the other player is doing and decisions made by both players. This is not as tense as at a higher player level,but still an important factor.

I very nearly didn’t buy Lowlands after watching your video, you do excellent videos and I greatly enjoy watching them and I trust your views. My point to the OP was, look here is another opinion, another perspective, I hoped this would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennaert Maathof
Netherlands
flag msg tools
So far, I've played it twice with my wife and she and I loved both games. There are plenty of interesting decisions to make when playing 1v1, and both of us are aching to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.