Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:

A solution may be: You can do a trade action where up to 5 merchants can trade 2 units each. Thus, you can buy or sell up to 10 units in a single turn. That way high-speed trading is not possible and it can result in big price changes which I believe is sth many players would enjoy. Since it is hard to make full use of 10 merchants in a single turn, it might be reasonable to allow to buy AND sell different types of goods in that trade action.

With only 7 Merchants per player color, though, how would you keep track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
Innovatormentor wrote:

A solution may be: You can do a trade action where up to 5 merchants can trade 2 units each. Thus, you can buy or sell up to 10 units in a single turn. That way high-speed trading is not possible and it can result in big price changes which I believe is sth many players would enjoy. Since it is hard to make full use of 10 merchants in a single turn, it might be reasonable to allow to buy AND sell different types of goods in that trade action.

No need to track: You place a merchant on the market and trade 2 units of a good instead. Why would you need to track it? You have to use the benefit of the port tile in a single turn as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, gotcha.

What if you don't have that many merchants deployed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:
zamoose wrote:
Innovatormentor wrote:

No need to track: You place a merchant on the market and trade 2 units of a good instead. Why would you need to track it? You have to use the benefit of the port tile in a single turn as usual.

The market is adjusted per unit or per merchant in this case? Unit, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
Ahh, gotcha.

You would only able to use the merchants you have, presumably. If that port tile is out, that would be incentive to hire merchants before activating the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
zamoose wrote:
Ahh, gotcha.

You would only able to use the merchants you have, presumably. If that port tile is out, that would be incentive to hire merchants before activating the tile.

Exactly. And that would make the market more dynamic both because players hire more merchants than normal and because the prices move more (one step per unit traded).

I like this version quite a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought you'd look here...the answer is slightly cryptic
badge
Water has many forms, mostly in the form of hexes
mbmbmbmbmb
It still doesn't have the pure flexibility of the original idea, though - no-one will trade 10 things in one go, because the contract(s) they were eyeing up after the next one will probably be gone by then. Or they won't know what the building bonus they are planning to use after the next contract will offer them.

Maybe something like "your next 4 merchants can buy/trade up to 2 items of the same or different types", although there is still the issue of marking where they've been if they trade different items. (which is also true for your current suggestion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
It still doesn't have the pure flexibility of the original idea, though - no-one will trade 10 things in one go, because the contract(s) they were eyeing up after the next one will probably be gone by then. Or they won't know what the building bonus they are planning to use after the next contract will offer them.

I think there are several scenarios where you would do trade 8-10 units:
Imagine the whiskly clan produces 4 whisky, 2 whisky are in the cellar. They buy 4 whisky in Round 2 and then use the port tile to sell 10 whisky in round 3 at a high price. Quite possible and strong.

Or in the last round there is the scoring tile for processed goods and you buy as many as you can in your first turn, simply to score VP.

Or Cunningham buys 10 milk at 3 pounds each and gains 80 pounds in the production phase.

etc. etc.

Remembering should be easy since you use the port bonus in a single turn. If one can't remember which merchants one placed in that turn, CoC might not be the right game in the first place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had another idea how one could keep the port tile's flexibility.

Lets imagine there are 4 grey cubes/merchants who do not belong to any player but they only belong to this port tile.

A player claiming the port tile receives the 4 grey merchants and can use them in the current round. If the player does not use them during that round, the player needs to return the grey cubes to the port tile. Other players cannot claim the same port tile as long as they grey cubes are in the hands of another player (not placed on the market yet).

The player may still not do any high-speed trading (grey merchants are treated as own merchants in this respect). Other than that, the player has all the flexibility how to use those merchants during that round.

How about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:
I just had another idea how one could keep the port tile's flexibility.

Lets imagine there are 4 grey cubes/merchants who do not belong to any player but they only belong to this port tile.

A player claiming the port tile receives the 4 grey merchants and can use them in the current round. If the player does not use them during that round, the player needs to return the grey cubes to the port tile. Other players cannot claim the same port tile as long as they grey cubes are in the hands of another player (not placed on the market yet).

The player may still not do any high-speed trading (grey merchants are treated as own merchants in this respect). Other than that, the player has all the flexibility how to use those merchants during that round.

How about that?

I could see a place for both, honestly.

It might be interesting to make a clan with those extra powers or meeples/cubes like Voyages of Marco Polo's various characters, some of whom have an extra die or an extra explorer to move around the board. What if one clan had extra livestock markers in grey, or extra workers.

The one-person-per-round aspect also feels like the boon cards in Sailing Toward Osiris, where each boon may only be played by a single player each round. There's also the master workers in STO that give you a bonus when claimed for that round (could be interesting in conjunction with the expert clan listed above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Pe
Germany
Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:

And what if the player didn't use the merchants? Did he waste the port tile or is he able to claim it again? I would assume, no, but could imagine, one could claim the port tile very early just to not let the others do it before.

But why change the port tile. I like the idea of calling my merchants back and let them do other stuff. Maybe resell the just purchased goods. It is a one time effect and just 4 units of something and every player could possibly do it. I didn't see the problem (of course, the high-speed trading, but who cares...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And what if the player didn't use the merchants? Did he waste the port tile or is he able to claim it again? I would assume, no,

Correct but that is also true if you take your merchants back. If you dont use them in the current round, you didnt gain anything.

Alternatively one could nerf the port tile and allow to take back only 3 merchants. That way you cant get a huge headstart via high-speed trading in the first round. That is probably the best and most elegant solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle King
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CLAN POWERS:

1) "Nomad" Clan:

2) Glory Clan
DON'T LIKE

3) Goods Clan:
DON'T LIKE

4) Highly-Skilled Clan:

5) Animal Clan:

6) Canal Clan:
DON'T LIKE

7) Railroad Clan:

PORT TILES:

1)LIKE - players will make a point to expand towards this port
When you fulfill a contract that requires processed goods, you can pay with any processed goods.

2)LIKE - I like the option
-2 Upgrades
OR flip back 1 tech tile
+ 1 processed good
+ 2 basic goods

3)DON'T LIKE - Not sure how it would make sense thematically? Calling dibs on a land
You can reserve a hex space for yourself by putting a specific marker on it. If you expand on it later (you need to be able to reach it), you do not pay the terrain cost. No other player can expand on it. (alternatively a small VP penalty if the player does not expand on it to avoid screwage)

4)LIKE - Great bonus. if you're in a pinch, you can make a late move thanks to this
Take back 4 merchants from the market into your stock (next to your player board).

SCORING TILES

1)LIKE - I like that it provides an opposite reaction to what you're usually trying
2 VP per unit in your biggest settlement.

2)LIKE - I like the force of making someone diversify.
2 VP per different type of unit on the map (8 types)

3)LIKE - like that it's a good way to make up on having common goods
Receive 2 glory for each unit of the import goods you have most of.

ADDITIONAL FINAL SCORING TILES

These could give 12 and 6 VP to the two best players:

1) DON'T LIKE - seems counter-intuitive to what the games point is
Least units on the map

2) LIKE - like that you can get something for what you have accomplished
Most goods in stock (processed goods count twice).

3) CAN'T DECIDE
Most glory

TERRAIN TILES

I like the idea of single hex tiles with special terrains.

1) DON'T LIKE - too much. could effect balance of the boards
Bridge on Loch hex:
A loch hex, with a bridge connecting 2 sides. The two land spaces connected through the bridge are considered neighboring.

2) LIKE - don't think it would change too much
Forest/Mountain Hex without any grass land.

3) DON'T LIKE - way too much
3 peat hex tiles:
they are placed on any land hex at the beginning of the game (in different map modules). A player who can reach the hex can spend a turn and place a spare worker on it for free. The worker is cutting peat. In the production phase the spare worker goes back to the player board and the player receives the peat tile. The land hex space beneath is now accessible for expansion for all players who reach it.

The player who gained the peat tile can use it to dry malted barley. That means the player can discard the peat tile when they sell grain on the market and receive +3 pounds for up to 2 grain each in addition to market price.

EXPORT CONTRACTS

1) CAN'T DECIDE
flexible contracts: a few additional contracts may allow a certain flexibility which processed goods you need to discard. However, their average payoff should be a bit lower than average.

2) LIKE
the building bonus could be an additional direct export bonus.

SOLO GAMEPLAY

I am working on a more sophisticated solo gameplay that also simulates the expansion of an opponent.

I am also thinking about a potential automa variant but I strongly prefer automas that are very easy to use.

I will post sth regarding this when I have made more progess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Marc
Italy
flag msg tools
More content is always nice, but what will determine if I want to buy an expansion for CoC is a good solo mode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wuyts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love these idea's!

Some feedback:

Innovatormentor wrote:

1) "Nomad" Clan:
You can move 1 worker or animal per move to a neighboring hex space at no cost (this is only possible of the new hex has a matching terrain for your unit). You can then expand on the emptied hex space without paying the terrain cost.
Sounds good, but the places that it can move to is perhaps a bit limited? (Don't know the map by heart, but are there sufficient forests and mountains next to each other?) It may be a bit underwhelming versus for example the fishing-clan.

Innovatormentor wrote:

2) Glory Clan
Receive 8 pounds each time your glory passes 5 or 10 glory.
On the one hand, I like this idea, for more variety (although it feels like 8£ is no enough, playtesting would need to confirm this ofcourse)
But on the other hand, this clan doesn't really "do" anything except forcing you to focus (more than normal) on the 5 scoring tiles).

Innovatormentor wrote:

3) Goods Clan:
Receive 2 VP for each basic good and 4 VPs for each processed good and 1 VP for 5 pounds at the end of the game.
Nice alternative, forces a focus on trying to produce more and not fulfilling as many contracts as some other clans.

Innovatormentor wrote:

4) Highly-Skilled Clan:
Their starting workers are 2 special workers (with advanced training) meeples that are for free but they need to pay the hex cost (can be placed on forest or mountain in the beginning). The worker can move according to their shipping range onto any hex with an own unit on it. Each unit with a special meeple on the same hex space would have an increased production capacity of +1 good (+5 pounds for workers) since the highly skilled worker is making it more efficient. A processed building needs 2 basic goods to be able to produce 2 processed goods. However, moving the special workers does cost 2 pounds.
Great idea! It has been asked before, what would happen if you put both high skilled workers on the same spot. (For simplicity sake, you might want to disallow this)

Innovatormentor wrote:

5) Animal Clan:
Two animals of one kind of yours can produce 1 extra animal on a neighboring hexspace of any of those 2 animals for free (no unit and no hex cost).
Love it! However, I do wonder if having 8 animals is enough for this bonus to have much effect. You can only get 1 cow and 1 sheep this way (until you slaughter one of them ofcourse). Perhaps you can add one extra sheep and cow for this clan? Or perhaps they make a baby (= different token) sheep/cow that grows at the end of the turn? (Although I feel that may be too underwhelming, because of the 5 turn limit)

Innovatormentor wrote:

6) Canal Clan:
Once per turn, you can spend 2 pounds to build a canal tile (or 2 tiles for 5 pounds) along a river (covering 1-2 edges of a hex space). All land hexes along a canal are considered reachable via shipping for you, even without shipping upgrades. You have 15 canal tiles available, 10 covering 2 edges and 5 covering a single edge. Each canal scores 1 VP at the end of the game.
Perhaps this needs to have some impact on the opponents as well? e.g. a canal requires shipping 1 to pass over it, like a river ?

Innovatormentor wrote:

7) Railroad Clan:
Start of Game: You have 12 grey cubes in your stock that represent railroad tracks.
Like the canals, this could have some impact on the opponents too?
E.g. since you consider the units as connected (for the settlement scoring), you could sabotage other players' settlement scoring

Innovatormentor wrote:

PORT TILES:

1)
When you fulfill a contract that requires processed goods, you can pay with any processed goods.
Great!

Innovatormentor wrote:

2)
-2 Upgrades
OR flip back 1 tech tile
+ 1 processed good
+ 2 basic goods
3 goods feels like it's not worth 2 upgrades.

Innovatormentor wrote:

3)
You can reserve a hex space for yourself by putting a specific marker on it. If you expand on it later (you need to be able to reach it), you do not pay the terrain cost. No other player can expand on it. (alternatively a small VP penalty if the player does not expand on it to avoid screwage)
Great, definitly add a penalty

Innovatormentor wrote:

4)
Take back 4 merchants from the market into your stock (next to your player board).
Great!

Innovatormentor wrote:

SCORING TILES

1)
Great, no remarks

Innovatormentor wrote:

2)
Likewise, fun alternative

Innovatormentor wrote:

3)
We often play 2 player games, and there's often a big discrepancy between imported goods, I feel like 2 glory may create a large gap between the players. Perhaps 1 glory per good?
Likewise, might be funny to also have a "2 glory for each unit of the rarest (overall) imported good"

Innovatormentor wrote:

1)
Least units on the map

2)

3)
Most glory
I'm not sure about these yet. As you said on the FB-post, perhaps drawing 2 of these to apply for the game might be good. But we'd need a few more than 3 of these tiles then.

Innovatormentor wrote:

TERRAIN TILES

1)
Bridge on Loch hex:
A loch hex, with a bridge connecting 2 sides. The two land spaces connected through the bridge are considered neighboring.

2)

3)
3 peat hex tiles:
they are placed on any land hex at the beginning of the game (in different map modules). A player who can reach the hex can spend a turn and place a spare worker on it for free. The worker is cutting peat. In the production phase the spare worker goes back to the player board and the player receives the peat tile. The land hex space beneath is now accessible for expansion for all players who reach it.

The player who gained the peat tile can use it to dry malted barley. That means the player can discard the peat tile when they sell grain on the market and receive +3 pounds for up to 2 grain each in addition to market price.
Love these ideas overall!
How are they placed? One tile per player or with some random factor? Before or after the players have set their starting workers?

Innovatormentor wrote:

EXPORT CONTRACTS

1) flexible contracts: a few additional contracts may allow a certain flexibility which processed goods you need to discard. However, their average payoff should be a bit lower than average.
Good idea

Innovatormentor wrote:

2)
Do you mean the bonus you get when building the 4th building of a type? (drawing 3 export contracts and keeping one) If so, lovely idea.

I was also thinking about some export contracts giving some glory points immediatly (which could combo with the glory clan you suggested above).

Innovatormentor wrote:

SOLO GAMEPLAY

I am working on a more sophisticated solo gameplay that also simulates the expansion of an opponent.

I am also thinking about a potential automa variant but I strongly prefer automas that are very easy to use.

Haven't played the solo mode yet, so can't provide any feedback here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wuyts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machinista wrote:
Hi Juma,

I am not an experienced Clans player, so please take this idea with a pinch of salt:

I've seen a few comments regarding the local market and relative lack of movement at lower player counts. Do you have any ideas, variants etc, for making the market board a little more dynamic between player turns - for when the players themselves aren't creating price changes?

* Maybe the market board is directly influenced by certain export contracts - exporting creates local scarcity?
* An alternative market board with different rules?

Perhaps you don't think it necessary - just thought I'd ask.

Cheers.

Edit: formatting.

As someone who most often plays this game with just 2 players, I would not mind a variant of the market board where it's influenced by the game itself. This could either be with some dice rolls at the end of each round, or as you suggested, by the export contracts.

At this time, with 2 players, the market doesn't move a lot every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With specific regard to the railway clan, I think this could be more thematically appropriate if it was re-themed to roads/turnpikes.

John McAdam, trustee of the Ayrshire turnpike had famously developed the revolutionary Macadam method of road building in the late 18th century and the early 19th century a network of roads expanded across Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadam

http://kebab.scran.ac.uk/scotland/pdf/SP2_9transport.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
With specific regard to the railway clan, I think this could be more thematically appropriate if it was re-themed to roads/turnpikes.

John McAdam, trustee of the Ayrshire turnpike had famously developed the revolutionary Macadam method of road building in the late 18th century and the early 19th century a network of roads expanded across Scotland.

...Today I Learned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stallard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
We traded with Karsten in the UK Maths Trade!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Juma

I think they all have merit and I can't see any downside at all assuming they all come through playtesting as balanced. If anyone has a personal preference against individual content it's a simple case of not adding that content when they play as per most expansions. Much excitement amongst the 5 Scots up here who love it (and bought you out of half your stock at Essen!!)

One massive request however is an oversized box to fit base and expansion in. Currently my lid is teetering on the top of the content with little or no overlap on the box itself!

Thanks very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:

Thank you for the links!

However, I do like the prospect that the expansion is a bit later in history than the base game, introducing a bit more heavy industry. In the mid 19th century more and more railroads were built so it would fit very well. Also, building railroads sounds more exciting than building roads I feel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Scotland#History
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andystal wrote:
Hi Juma

I think they all have merit and I can't see any downside at all assuming they all come through playtesting as balanced. If anyone has a personal preference against individual content it's a simple case of not adding that content when they play as per most expansions. Much excitement amongst the 5 Scots up here who love it (and bought you out of half your stock at Essen!!)

One massive request however is an oversized box to fit base and expansion in. Currently my lid is teetering on the top of the content with little or no overlap on the box itself!

Thanks very much

Yeah, my idea would be to put the expansion in a box big enough for base game and expansion, and ideally a plastic insert as well. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stefanko
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nomad clan

I like this concept a lot. It facilitates settlement expansion really well for the early rounds and provides useful but not overly abusable flexibility to convert workers and make use of Scoring Tile #9.

Quote:
Glory clan

This has been one of my favorites to have been testing since it was first created a while ago. Planning out how to squeeze out a few more VP each round to hit those bonuses adds some wonderful strategy.

Quote:
Goods clan

An interesting concept but I worry about this power being too one-dimensional and encouraging you to simply play as a hoarder. This could also lead to abusing the market, converting pounds into goods, to the detriment of other players not being able to afford goods to fulfill contracts. Worth testing fully before decrying it good or bad.

Quote:
Highly-Skilled clan

A great idea and appears well-balanced: you are sacrificing worker income for those bonuses. Would this clan start with +X pounds bonus at game's start to offset the loss of those workers' normal income?

Quote:
Animal clan

I had reservations at first about this clan pigeon-holing your strategy to be meat-centric, but in practice it isn't as abusable as I'd feared, nor are you SOL if meat contracts don't come up on the Export board.

Quote:
Canal clan

It doesn't seem like you gain much advantage by building canals versus paying for the shipping upgrades; it may save a few pounds early game to get across a river but you'll still need to upgrade to get across lochs. If you can only canal along rivers, it'll be tricky to expand enough to place all your canals to secure those VP by endgame.

Quote:
Railroad clan

Intriguing. Crossing a loch seems like it should require a woodcutter as well as a miner, as in they're building a bridge, and place the railroad token on the loch hex itself before extending it further onto a land token. If you can utilize other players' miners to extend the railroad, I feel like the owner of that miner should receive part or all of the pounds you pay to place the railroad token.

Quote:
Port Tiles

All look great, but I think for #3 the reserving a space is a bit much and can be simplified to just a 0-terrain-cost bonus like on some contracts and #4 should be scaled back to 3 merchants instead of 4 (4 seems too overpowered).

Quote:
Scoring Tiles

All good!

Quote:
Final Scoring adds

Least Units is good and would help balance the scoring. Most Goods seems reasonable; Most Glory seems redundant. On the whole, idk if any of these are genuinely necessary to add at this time.

Quote:
Terrain Tiles

#1 - To build a bridge tile, require every player to pay X pounds to fund its construction.

#2 - How about partially-cleared hexes to place atop the mountain/forest-only tiles? Allow a player to place a second worker on one of those tiles: at the end of the round, the player receives 2x the pounds those workers would normally provide, returns the workers to his/her player board, and places the new hex on top. So, for example, instead of a forest-only tile, that new tile is half forest, half grassland and open to all players for settlement expansion (maybe have the new tile's terrain cost be 6).

#3 - I like the idea of the peat tiles. Is there a way to adapt the solo-mode dice to randomize placement of the peat tiles?

Quote:
Export Contracts

#1 - I like the added flexibility notion, so long as it isn't a 1-for-1 variance: something like "2 Cheese OR 3 Bread" so there's more cost for not meeting the 'cheaper' requirement.

#2 - Yes. Also maybe consider something like "immediately take a new contract for -X pounds" (and either consider the value null during the first two rounds or have it be a bonus payout)

Great work! I love how engaged the entire community is in further developing this great game! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Marc
Italy
flag msg tools
Quote:

1) "Nomad" Clan:
You can move 1 worker or animal per move to a neighboring hex space at no cost (this is only possible of the new hex has a matching terrain for your unit). You can then expand on the emptied hex space without paying the terrain cost.

This is a nice idea. Workers would be harder to move since you need yo match the terrain type. This means you are encouraged to invest in cows (milk) and sheeps (wool), thus making cheese factories a secondary strategy.
A thematic addition (but probably unbalanced in game terms) could be being able to purchase goods from the market by bartering: instead of paying or recievieng money, you give or take a different kind of good based on the economic value in that moment. So if whiskey was worth 14, wool 5 and wheat 3, you could pay 2 wool and 1 wheat to get 1 whiskey.

Quote:

2) Glory Clan

What if they get x1.5 the glory gained through scoring tiles in addition?

Quote:
3) Goods Clan:
Receive 2 VP for each basic good and 4 VPs for each processed good and 1 VP for 5 pounds at the end of the game.

Too boring!
Imported Goods Clan: when they fulfill a contract that "gives" cotton, tobacco or sugar cane, don't update it on the board.
This way, if for example they import a ton of cotton, it doesn't lose value, since it keeps the rarity it had before.

Quote:

4) Highly-Skilled Clan:
Their starting workers are 2 special workers (with advanced training) meeples that are for free but they need to pay the hex cost (can be placed on forest or mountain in the beginning). The worker can move according to their shipping range onto any hex with an own unit on it. Each unit with a special meeple on the same hex space would have an increased production capacity of +1 good (+5 pounds for workers) since the highly skilled worker is making it more efficient. A processed building needs 2 basic goods to be able to produce 2 processed goods. However, moving the special workers does cost 2 pounds.

I really dig this one! What about the neighbouring bonus for opponents? Can they buy better/more goods from an hex that contains these special workers+ a regoular meeple?

Quote:
5) Animal Clan:
Two animals of one kind of yours can produce 1 extra animal on a neighboring hexspace of any of those 2 animals for free (no unit and no hex cost).

Nice! Agricola/Caverna style!
Additionally: 1 animal gives 2 meat when killed

Quote:
6) Canal Clan:
Once per turn, you can spend 2 pounds to build a canal tile (or 2 tiles for 5 pounds) along a river (covering 1-2 edges of a hex space). All land hexes along a canal are considered reachable via shipping for you, even without shipping upgrades. You have 15 canal tiles available, 10 covering 2 edges and 5 covering a single edge. Each canal scores 1 VP at the end of the game.

What if opponents could use you canals for money?

Quote:
7) Railroad Clan:
Start of Game: You have 12 grey cubes in your stock that represent railroad tracks.

You can build 1-2 railroad tokens per turn (in addition to your main action) adjacent to any of your units or any railroad token already placed. You can even place railroads on hexes occupied by you or your opponents' units. The cost for doing so depends on the miner (not necessarily your miner) that is closest. The cost is: distance * 2 pounds. All land hexes along railroads are reachable for you without shipping. Placing a grey cube across a river costs 3 pounds extra and across a loch hex 6 pounds extra.

The hexes on which a railroad is built are not occupied by you until you deploy a unit there. You still pay the land cost.

When you deploy on a hex with a railroad: any opponents' units along the same raildroad are considered neighboring and you can use the neighborhood bonus for exactly one type of good and buy 3 (or 4 in a two player game) units of that good with a single merchant. All your units along the railroad are considered connected via shipping for the settlement scoring.

End of game: 1 VP per railroad token built.

Very nice!

Quote:
PORT TILES:

1)

Very strong, as a Port Tile should be!

Quote:
2)
-2 Upgrades
OR flip back 1 tech tile
+ 1 processed good
+ 2 basic goods

Useful in the last rounds

Quote:
3)

This + AND any opponent can pay you (instead of discarding money to the supply)to expand there (hex cost+unit cost)

Quote:
4)

wow this allows fast buy-sell of the same good! SPECULATION!

Quote:
SCORING TILES

1)

I'm unsure about this one. It kinds of denies the bonus points for the most connected settlements, which is a signature element of the game..

Quote:
2)

Nice!

Quote:
3)

This would help unfortunate contract draws!

Quote:

1)
Least units on the map

This feels to much "helping the worst player" eheh..

Quote:
2)

...and this would probably help the player who's already going to win..

Quote:
3)
Most glory

THIS was needed in the base game! Scoring tiles should always be rewarded more imho. This way, contracts become a strong strategy, but not the only one!

Quote:
TERRAIN TILES

1)
Bridge on Loch hex:

why not?

Quote:
2)

That's mean!

Quote:
3)
3 peat hex tiles:

Too convoluted, feels too different from the rest of the mechanics.

Quote:
EXPORT CONTRACTS

1) flexible contracts: a few additional contracts may allow a certain flexibility which processed goods you need to discard. However, their average payoff should be a bit lower than average.

Yes

Quote:
2)

I don't understand this

Quote:
SOLO GAMEPLAY

YES!I will 100% buy an expansion that gives me a better solo experience. What about an app? Too expensive?

PS: one of my dreams would be to integrate this "automa" or simulated opponent in games with 2 players too. 2 players games feel too open, even with the restricted map and the city tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought you'd look here...the answer is slightly cryptic
badge
Water has many forms, mostly in the form of hexes
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:
Alternatively one could nerf the port tile and allow to take back only 3 merchants. That way you cant get a huge headstart via high-speed trading in the first round. That is probably the best and most elegant solution.

I think so, too. (it keeps the original idea intact and doesn't encourage early passing just to block the port tile in round 5)

It would be quite difficult to exploit it in round 1 anyway, as it requires an opportunist neighbourhood bonus (without it the tile is worth about the same as the price-fixing port) and there will most likely be much better round 1 ports to start next to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leodagan TS
France
Rueil Malmaison
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
CLAN POWERS:

1) "Nomad" Clan:

Moving one worker or animal without paying any cost looks powerful enough to me. You can then build ok, but at full cost.
Love the idea behind, though.

Quote:
2) Glory Clan

It should work. It is easy to understand and easy to play. Nonetheless, I don't like that much, because it lacks fun and thematic explanation.

Quote:
3) Goods Clan:

As far as gathering ressources won't make it enough to go and win, it is an interesting power. But it will affect the market if one people does not play with making the market move.

Quote:
4) Highly-Skilled Clan:

Interesting. Have you tried any iconography for it, because it looks quite complec to scheme.

Quote:
5) Animal Clan:

Love it. Easy to understand, easy to play. Lots of possibility... Great!

Quote:
6) Canal Clan:

It looks powerful and fun to play. I would enjoy testing it.

Quote:
7) Railroad Clan:

You can build 1-2 railroad tokens per turn (in addition to your main action) adjacent to any of your units or any railroad token already placed. You can even place railroads on hexes occupied by you or your opponents' units. The cost for doing so depends on the miner (not necessarily your miner) that is closest. The cost is: distance * 2 pounds. All land hexes along railroads are reachable for you without shipping. Placing a grey cube across a river costs 3 pounds extra and across a loch hex 6 pounds extra.

The hexes on which a railroad is built are not occupied by you until you deploy a unit there. You still pay the land cost.

When you deploy on a hex with a railroad: any opponents' units along the same raildroad are considered neighboring and you can use the neighborhood bonus for exactly one type of good and buy 3 (or 4 in a two player game) units of that good with a single merchant. All your units along the railroad are considered connected via shipping for the settlement scoring.

End of game: 1 VP per railroad token built.

As a fan of Age of Steam-like games, I love the idea behind. Thematically, this is excellent. But, it lloks far too complex for a clan. Iconography would be a problem. Deserves to be revised and simplified.

Quote:
PORT TILES:

1)

2)
-2 Upgrades
OR flip back 1 tech tile
+ 1 processed good
+ 2 basic goods

3)

4)

1) Great
2) maybe too much circumstancial. 1 upgrade versus any 2 goods would be enough, no?
3) Great
4) Love it! Wondefull idea

Quote:
SCORING TILES

1)

2)

3)

Great. No comment to add.

Quote:

1)
Least units on the map

2)

3)
Most glory

Why not...

Quote:
TERRAIN TILES

1)
Bridge on Loch hex:

2)

3)
3 peat hex tiles:

1) Fun idea
2) Ok
3) It looks too complex for just a hex tile

Why not field hex (+1 production if you place grain on) and high grass hex (+1 production if you place sheep or cow on)? Too powerful?

Quote:
EXPORT CONTRACTS

2)

1) Good idea
2) I don't understand

I had 3 ideas for bonuses on contracts:
- take a new contract for free
- take 3 contract tiles from draw pile, you may choose one paying normal cost and discard others (already existing but not on contracts)
- end of game, during import goods count: move one import good marker up to 2 spaces above or below current position on the track

Quote:
SOLO GAMEPLAY

Do you have any feedback? Which ideas do you like/dislike?

Looking forward reading more about that. Solo play is the only desappointing aspect of the game, to me.

My two cents cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |