Hide
15 Posts

Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: use of the "right-side" for additional cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Santi GG
msg tools
Hi There, I just got this game and I'd like to get confirmation on one of the mechanics: Does placing the life-paid drawn cards on the right have any other functionality besides the below the stack case? I'm trying to understand why the need to suggest this lateral positioning of the drawn cards. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5ant1 wrote:
Hi There, I just got this game and I'd like to get confirmation on one of the mechanics: Does placing the life-paid drawn cards on the right have any other functionality besides the below the stack case? I'm trying to understand why the need to suggest this lateral positioning of the drawn cards. Thanks!

A limited number of cards are played to the left, so that's the key thing to understand. Cards on the right are in play, but not subject to left side limitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
5ant1 wrote:

A limited number of cards are played to the left, so that's the key thing to understand. Cards on the right are in play, but not subject to left side limitations.

And cards on the left which get removed by card effects are replaced without life cost, while cards on the right are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:
5ant1 wrote:

It also matters for the aging card "stop". If it's drawn on the left it stops you drawing any more free cards on the left. But if it's drawn on the right it has no effect.

And indeed if it's on the left but you use a "destroy" card to destroy it, you can then continue drawing free cards on the left (if there are any left to draw)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Robrob wrote:
And cards on the left which get removed by card effects are replaced without life cost, while cards on the right are not.

The only card where that applies is "below the stack", which the OP already mentioned. It does not apply to "exchange", which is the only other case I can think of where cards are removed in the middle of a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
And indeed if [Stop is] on the left but you use a "destroy" card to destroy it, you can then continue drawing free cards on the left (if there are any left to draw)!

That’s also true if you remove Stop using Exchange x1, Exchange x2, or Below the Stack.

MJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also to note that Destroy turns the target card face down but does not remove it until the end, so it still counts towards the number of free cards drawn (if on the left).
Exchange replaces the target immediately.
Below the stack (pile?) moves the card there immediately. If from the left, it can be replaced for free. If from the right, no other effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mjschryver wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:
And indeed if [Stop is] on the left but you use a "destroy" card to destroy it, you can then continue drawing free cards on the left (if there are any left to draw)!

That’s also true if you remove Stop using Exchange x1, Exchange x2, or Below the Stack.

Good point. I should have mentioned that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi GG
msg tools
Wow! thank you all for that. I have one more question though, concerning the use of "below the stack" rule, can I exchange a card whose ability I have already used? (or if I'm to exchange it I can't use its ability?)

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
5ant1 wrote:
Wow! thank you all for that. I have one more question though, concerning the use of "below the stack" rule, can I exchange a card whose ability I have already used? (or if I'm to exchange it I can't use its ability?)

Thanks

Yes, you can exchange (or put below the stack) any card, except one you’ve destroyed with a “destroy” ability. Those cards are turned upside down and can’t be removed until the end of the fight.

Edit: you also can’t use any card on itself! So, for example, you can’t use an exchange card to exchange itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Edit: you also can’t use any card on itself! So, for example, you can’t use an exchange card to exchange itself.

Except the tricky double or copy thing. Still not clear what Itself means in that case. The target card of the double/copy? or the double/copy card ?

E.g. 1copy and 2double and a plain 2 (weapon). 2double doubles the plain 2 (since it cannot double itself). Then what can a copied doubling-ability double?
Can it double the 2 of the 2double, or does it have to double the 1 of the 1copy?

Please remind everyone if there's an Accepted solution to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The copy card can make the 2Double into a 4Double. I don’t think there’s any ambiguity about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ROMagister wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:

Except the tricky double or copy thing. Still not clear what Itself means in that case. The target card of the double/copy? or the double/copy card ?

E.g. 1copy and 2double and a plain 2 (weapon). 2double doubles the plain 2 (since it cannot double itself). Then what can a copied doubling-ability double?
Can it double the 2 of the 2double, or does it have to double the 1 of the 1copy?

Please remind everyone if there's an Accepted solution to this.

A copy card gains the same ability as the card it copies, just as if it (the copy card) had that ability. So in your example, the 1copy becomes effectively a 1double, so it can double the value of the 2double, making it a 4double as Dave says. It can’t double its own value (1 in this case).

This has always been the accepted answer as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi GG
msg tools
Thanks so much guys for all of these clarification. In conjunction with all of the other forums, I'm now confident of my full understanding of the card game (shame some many of the issues raised in these conversations have not been included in the game's booklet). Anyone, thanks again, and happy playing ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You're very welcome. And welcome to Boardgamegeek! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.