5 Posts

Triplanetary» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason T
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any other explanations for how movement works, in general? I understand how gravity affects movement. But, once I get up past three or four speed I lose track of what hex I can move into. I know I'm probably just over-complicating it, but there is no real examples that I have found other than SJ's explanation on YouTube which, unfortunately, falls just short of answering my question.

Thank you all for the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bostwick
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement is simple.

Project your movement to be exactly the same as last time.
Add the effects of gravity if you passed through arrows last time.
Spend 1 fuel to change the projected destination hex by 1 in any direction.
Move your ship there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple trick is to count from the start to end of the arrow and then duplicate that counts from the new start of the arrow. So, like, two hexes straight, one hex right then two straight, etc. That's your no-thrust target hex. So that hex or any adjacent hex can be your destination hex.

So while the previous arrow crosses a bunch of hexes (and not always straight through the middle), counting the actual number of hexes will help you find the right end hex and then you draw a straight line for the vector. Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also count hexes in two directions ("up three, over two," or whatever), first from the base of my last movement arrow to the tip, and then from the tip to the hex my ship would reach if it just coasted. I put a dot there (I don't draw a line, because I want the only lines to be the moves that actually happened), and then I check it by seeing if it looks lined up with the last movement arrow. If it doesn't, then I've counted wrong and I have to start over.

Then, starting from the dot, I apply gravity from hexes through which last turn's arrow passed (counting its tip but not its base), and then my thrust vector (if any). It doesn't matter in what order these are done. Then I put a dot in that hex, and then I do draw an arrow because that is my movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason T
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, this was all very helpful. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.