Subject: Dry brushing the buildings with grey primer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Santos
Philippines
Pasig
flag msg tools
mb
SO I got this extra grey primer at home and thinking of dry brushing the buildings to have some natural feeling into it. But I actually don't know how I will execute this. I might mess up the figures.

PS: I have never actually painted any minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
But... arent the real santorini buildings known for being white with blue domes? Grey wouldnt make it more “natural” then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried this on a few buildings (inks / washes tend to be better, for detailed minis, than primer / dry-brushing)

That said, to me, Santorini IS the island of white buildings - paint would ruin this great aesthetic, I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try to make them more realistic with some really small sand sound to create small small shadows and bumps on the surface. And you can paintsmall grey stones on the stairs (you can see them in some pictures on google.)

But I wouldnt dry brushing because then you have to brush everything in White again to get this shadow effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make the buildings more realistic, add a coat of white stucco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw someone else do something similar in the gallery:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoitaan
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could mess around with some weathering powder or free hand some grey cracks into a few of the buildings but in full blasting sunlight, the white of those buildings really pop in the real Santorini so I'm not sure why you'd grey them out.

Some of the older buildings are yellower if you look here and I see a pink building up top. Definitely go for colours that pop in the bright sun (not grey).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdsantos07 wrote:
SO I got this extra grey primer at home and thinking of dry brushing the buildings to have some natural feeling into it. But I actually don't know how I will execute this. I might mess up the figures.

PS: I have never actually painted any minis.

If you want a realistic feeling for the Santorini buildings, I'd recommend getting a special plastic primer like Fusion by Krylon. It will adhere better to the plastic of the game pieces. The type of plastic used for the game does not take paint very well.

Then go for a spray paint that has texture in it.

Followed by white spray paint.

Followed by a medium gray/brown wash.

Followed by lightly dry brushing white.

Followed by a matte varnish. (Or if you want extra protection, go with a gloss varnish first, and then hit it with a matte varnish)

You should probably then store all the individual pieces surrounded by foam core, but it's going to tend to chip with use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.