Subject: How thick are the 18 color tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
The pictures I've seen make them look quite thick. I just got this and they are very thin. How thick are they normally? I want to make sure my copy isn't counterfeit.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures next to a disease cube would help. I doubt there are counterfeit copies of this expansion.

My recollection is that there are moderately thick discs, maybe in the 5-7mm range.

I can pull them out later to photograph and measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lithy wrote:
Pictures next to a disease cube would help. I doubt there are counterfeit copies of this expansion.

My recollection is that there are moderately thick discs, maybe in the 5-7mm range.

Mine are at most 2mm. I'll try to photograph this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
lithy wrote:

Mine are at most 2mm. I'll try to photograph this weekend.

Interesting, I don't know if this expansion has had any update/revision that would show up on the copyright date (both OtB and ItL have) but I have had two copies in the past. The discs were the same but the die in one was only printed on the flat surfaces the other had indented symbols, so there may be a few different print runs.

Personally, thinner discs are probably preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The intent was that the disks be quite thin, which is what I tested the prototype with and what worked best in practice. If Z-man has updated the components in a later printing, then this is a feature, not a bug!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks as always Tom for participating in these forums, it certainly makes answers clearer!

I took a picture of my discs.

Pandemic cubes are 8mm so the discs seem to be in that 5-7mm range although I did not have a caliper to measure them precisely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lithy wrote:
Thanks as always Tom for participating in these forums, it certainly makes answers clearer!

Pandemic cubes are 8mm so the discs seem to be in that 5-7mm range although I did not have a caliper to measure them precisely.

Min are less than one-half of that. The disks are 1.75mm

Unless they revised the components then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The thinner disks should work much better.

thanks,
tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
The thinner disks should work much better.

thanks,
tom

Of course they may work quite well. But I'm still curious if my game is counterfeit or a legitimate copy. If the publishers changed the components I'm okay with that. If not then I need to let the publisher and the store where I got it know my copy is a forgery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Then contact the publisher and ask them whether the components have changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Then contact the publisher and ask them whether the components have changed.

I have, as well, contacted them. I was wondering if I was the only one on BGG that has smaller discs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
lithy wrote:

you are so lucky and i am jealous.
the original discs were so thick they were unusable; i had to make new ones out of cardstock.
...Tho cardstock still might be preferable over the thinnest plastic discs, which I suspect could still clutter up a city that also has disease cubes, pawns, a research station, quarantine marker...

I will be very surprised if yer copy is counterfeit. Games regularly come out with new printings that fix things that weren't working so well in previous printings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you're right. I have heard that Pandemic was one of the more popular counterfeit games out there. I'm not sure about the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZMan sent me replacement tokens and they are far larger than what I got in the box. Also the virus cubes for Pandemic Legacy has very rough and sharp (scratchy as if cracked) edges.

It may be possible that I've been shipped a few counterfeits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Mine are the same as yours. They look more like Bingo chips, but my copy appears fine other than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Mine are the same as yours. They look more like Bingo chips, but my copy appears fine other than that.

I've contacted Cool Stuff Inc (CSI)about the differences. I'm thinking of asking Z-Man/Asmodee as well. CSI said they would look into it and get back with me today. Honestly I'd prefer it be a component update rather than getting a counterfeit from where I buy most of my games. But the Pandemic Legacy quality isn't Z-Man typical either.

We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.