Subject: Warning about Spelspul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: falsely [+] accused [+] [View All]
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until now I never had any problems with the online retailer Spelspul.
Yesterday I decided to buy diplomacy for a friend (after we played the game I'll inform you if we're still friends ). A price comparison site showed spelspul offering the game for €27.89. I googled and google showed me spelspul offering the game for €23.05. I went to spelspul and indeed it showed as €23.05. I figured the comparison website must've scraped the website a while back and thus showed an old price.
I opened a new tab and a few minutes later added the game to my shopping cart. The shopping cart showed the game for €27.89! I made a print screen of the page showing €23.05, reloaded the page and... €27.89!
I tried calling them, but no answer. I emailed them 24 hours ago, but so far no answer.
If I now search the game on the website I see it as €23.05 in the search results, but when I open the page it shows €27.89 again.
I decided to at least warn others about this. It might be a bug in their website, but it could also be some false way to get extra sells.
So... Watch out when you buy at spelspul. Check your shopping cart before paying, so that you're sure you're not paying more than you thought you would.

I am not blaming spelspul of anything so far. Just want to warn others to watch out.

DraedGhawl wrote:
Just got an answer via mail. It seems the server thought I was from outside the EU and thus it didn't include VAT.
Seems like a bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lrs drn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
27,89 is 121% of 23,05, so this probably has to do with VAT being added to items in your cart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
November 11, 1918 - end of WW-I
badge
Lest we forget
mb
Did you buy it?
I still have 2 different 2nd hand copies of Dippy, looking to sell one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Did you buy it?

If one is NIS then I would be interested. It's for his birthday, so I want it to be NIS.

lrsdrn wrote:
27,89 is 121% of 23,05, so this probably has to do with VAT being added to items in your cart?

Could be and then it could still be a bug in the website code...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogier van Winden
Netherlands
Gieten
Drenthe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Het is een kwestie van exclusief en inclusief BTW.

Irritant, zonder twijfel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an answer via mail. It seems the server thought I was from outside the EU and thus it didn't include VAT.
Seems like a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please change the subject line as it is misleading.

Do your homework first before complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
Seems like a bug.

Time to update your topic title...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Dus in jouw werk doe jij altijd alles perfect en als je een keer wat fout doet ben je meteen Kop van Jut in je werkomgeving?

Nee? Dat dacht ik al. Misschien handig om de volgende keer eerst zo goed mogelijk uit te zoeken wat er aan de hand is voor je je .... opendoet en verder normaal functionerende webwinkels aan de schandpaal nagelt?

't Is maar een suggestie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn’t just that they thought you were outside the EU. Spelspul lists all their prices without VAT (BTW). It’s very annoying. A lot of times when I look through the geemarket I click on the cheapest, only to find it’s spelspul and the actual price is higher.
I decided to just ignore them, even if they are cheapest now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all that are complaining about me complaining: it's only a warning.
Prices can me misleading when viewing their website and you still need to look out if you're buying from them. I could've waited until I know what's wrong, but I decided to warn other people.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy from them, as their delivery is good. This bug might not affect you either.

It's a shame that I get comments like this. I'm posting this for you, not for myself.

So no, I won't change the title. If you think that's wrong, then please inform an admin and (s)he can judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lrs drn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think the issue that people have with the title (and which causes strong reactions) is that threads with these types of titles are usually about real scammers (stores not fulfilling orders, kickstarter creaters running off with money without delivering, etc.). The title as it is makes it seem like Spelspul is in this category. If your intent is to warn people, I'd do it accurately and change the title to include something like 'prices on website are without VAT'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
DraedGhawl wrote:
For all that are complaining about me complaining: it's only a warning.

Nee, dit was geen waarschuwing, maar een sterke afrader. Een waarschuwing kan je ook opschrijven als 'Goh jongens, ik zie dit-en-dit. Ik heb even om uitleg gevraagd—zal vast wel een bug oid zijn—maar let ondertussen eventjes op. Ok?' En dan stop je er geen zinnen als 'It might be a bug in their website, but it could also be some false way to get extra sells' tussen. Lijkt me duidelijk wat je daarmee bedoelde.

Quote:
Prices can me misleading when viewing their website and you still need to look out if you're buying from them. I could've waited until I know what's wrong, but I decided to warn other people.

Wat dus niet had gehoeven want je had binnen no-time een reactie. Het was anders als je daar al weken op wachtte. Hoe dan ook, met alle informatie binnen handbereik had je alsnog een kort berichtje kunnen plaatsen: 'Let even op bij bestelling bij Spelspul: getoonde prijzen zijn zonder BTW, om wat voor reden dan ook. Verder prima winkel.'

Quote:
I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy from them, as their delivery is good. This bug might not affect you either.

'... but it could be some false way to get extra sells'. I rest my case.

Quote:
It's a shame that I get comments like this. I'm posting this for you, not for myself.

En ik post dit ook niet voor mezelf, maar ook voor anderen: gewoon eerst even tot tien tellen, dan je hoofd gebruiken, alle informatie verzamelen, en daarna pas op het Internet gooien.

Quote:
So no, I won't change the title. If you think that's wrong, then please inform an admin and (s)he can judge.

Hardleers en trots ook nog eens een keer. Sjongejonge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB Shimmyo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lrsdrn wrote:
The title as it is makes it seem like Spelspul is in this category. If your intent is to warn people, I'd do it accurately and change the title to include something like 'prices on website are without VAT'.

Agreed, I'd find a title of "Spelspul website lists prices without VAT" much more helpful when skimming down the list of threads and deciding whether to read a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
November 11, 1918 - end of WW-I
badge
Lest we forget
mb
DraedGhawl wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
Did you buy it?

If one is NIS then I would be interested. It's for his birthday, so I want it to be NIS.

lrsdrn wrote:

Could be and then it could still be a bug in the website code...
As I can't check and can't deliver for over two weeks,
I doubt I am much help. If the available time is enough, let me know. Otherwise, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rael
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
It wasn’t just that they thought you were outside the EU. Spelspul lists all their prices without VAT (BTW). It’s very annoying. A lot of times when I look through the geemarket I click on the cheapest, only to find it’s spelspul and the actual price is higher.
I decided to just ignore them, even if they are cheapest now.

Same with me! I even put this under the attention of the BGG mod for the store, since this gives Spelspul an unfair advantage against ALL OTHER sellers who don't list their prices like that and even mentioned in that email that this might lead to more unsuspecting buyers that they're getting a great deal when they are in fact slightly misled...

I now just simple block everything from Spelspul and so far a nicer experience for me :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Doctor
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Woohoo, an overtext!
badge
Woohoo, a second overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's even worse. It's not legal.

You have to include BTW (VAT) in our country when selling directly to private customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dok33 wrote:
It's even worse. It's not legal.

You have to include BTW (VAT) in our country when selling directly to private customers.

Uit hun Algemene Voorwaarden artikel 9 lid 5:
Quote:
5.De in het aanbod van producten of diensten genoemde prijzen zijn inclusief BTW.

All products for Dutch buyers have VAT included.

As I have said before: do your homework first. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they do not. Just check any game they sell in the Geekstore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Smid
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
flag msg tools
mb
On any game they have for sale it clearly says in bold letters that the price is excluding BTW and that customers in the EU need to add 21% BTW to the price.

I have ordered from them before and the service was great and their prices were good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I’m not saying they are doing something illegal, I am just saying that it’s really annoying that many times when I search for a game in the geek store I have thought I found the cheapest option, only to find out after clicking on it that it was from spelspul and that I had to add VAT, which made it Not the cheapest option, so I had to go back and look at the next cheapest.
Nobody else does that. And yes, that does make it smell a little like they are trying to attract customers on basis of misinformation, trying to appear to be the cheapest.
They are at the very least making it harder to find the the cheapest option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Still, seems more than enough reason to change the title as suggested: Spelspul does not include VAT in its prices on the Geekstore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hieronymus71 wrote:

Still, seems more than enough reason to change the title as suggested: Spelspul does not include VAT in its prices on the Geekstore.

Why should they?

It is an American site and for non-Dutch buyers they do not have to include VAT.
When your locale enters the picture (living in the Netherlands), then, yes, VAT should be included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
hieronymus71 wrote:

Why should they?

It is an American site and for non-Dutch buyers they do not have to include VAT.
When your locale enters the picture (living in the Netherlands), then, yes, VAT should be included.

1) Because presumably >90% of their buyers will be in the EU. So it would be customer friendly to publish the real price they will be charging.
2) Because all the other shops do, and it would be customer friendly to ensure that we can compare prices easily.

But no they don't HAVE TO be customer friendly anymore than I HAVE TO ever buy from them as long as they do this.
Everybody else is free to make their own judgement of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is your hill to die on, then there is nothing really to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.