Subject: Now that we know the style, what does the fighter look like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kira Peavley
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the Drunken Fist will be the style our new fighter will master!

Now, what does the character look like, which moves, which special powers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Hoogeveen
Drenthe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackie Chan is a nice example, Dragon Lady is AWESOME, and a lot more characters there :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Quiaoit
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be fun to have a move or a special move that incorporates how opponents usually get confused by the staggering a fighter with the drunken fist fighting style does. Drunken Fist style fighters uses this technique to confuse the enemy leaving for an opening for a strike also for gathering momentum with their hits. This would make the a drunken style fighter unpredictable (Striking while falling down etc..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drumwarrior1981 wrote:
I think it would be fun to have a move or a special move that incorporates how opponents usually get confused by the staggering a fighter with the drunken fist fighting style does. Drunken Fist style fighters uses this technique to confuse the enemy leaving for an opening for a strike also for gathering momentum with their hits. This would make the a drunken style fighter unpredictable (Striking while falling down etc..)

Yes. whole style should be based on Feints and Deception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like most fighting games have at least one drunken boxer, who is usually inspired by Jackie Chan movies.

Lei in Tekken series is known for being evasive and attacking from unexpected angles.

I am not familiar with Virtua Fighter series, but Shun Di appears to gain more moves by drinking during the match.

Brad Wong from Dead or Alive likes to take a sip every now and then as well.

I have a couple of ideas how these elements could be translated into power token.

Drunken wobble
:
If you lose the card flip, you may spend two different cards of same colour from your hand to change your card for the round. Choose one of the two cards to start your combo and discard the other and your original card.

E.g. if you have played a blue card and your opponent played a yellow card, you would normally lose. Now you may play two red cards (red triangle + red square) to change your card for the round. You can start your combo with either of the red cards, but you have only two cards left in your hand, so your maximum combo length for the round is three.

This ability requires balanced deck to be useful, so 17+17+16 would be ideal distribution of cards. The amount of unique cards in the deck would influence the probability of getting suitable cards in your hand to counter the opponent's card.

Endless thirst:
X = the amount of drinks consumed during the match.
When you perform your "bottoms up" signature combo put one of the cards next to your character token to keep track of how many drinks you have had.

X would be used as a damage value in some or most of the cards.

Bottoms up signature combo would consist of one blue and one yellow card.

This ability would be similar to Snø's stance switch, but it would cumulatively increase the power of the attacks throughout the match.

Perhaps other signature combos could also increase the drinking counter.

What do you think? Does either of these abilities sound fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tippin
msg tools
Love the drunken wobble idea, changes up the flow and captures an important essence of the style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tippin
msg tools
I like the idea of changing up expectations, so maybe spikey hair, face piercing, looks punk.
For signature moves I like the name “Loose Cannon”, makes me think of Jackie Chan’s flying headbut.
“Nasty Surprise” also sounds like a fitting name for a drunken fighter’s signature move, The Hurricane because it’s also the name of a drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electric_boogey wrote:
I like the idea of changing up expectations, so maybe spikey hair, face piercing, looks punk.
For signature moves I like the name “Loose Cannon”, makes me think of Jackie Chan’s flying headbut.
“Nasty Surprise” also sounds like a fitting name for a drunken fighter’s signature move, The Hurricane because it’s also the name of a drink.

I like the idea of naming signature combos after drinks. The names could be derived from coctails such as Tequila slammer, Jägerbomb and Screwdriver, or distilled beverages like moonshine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always see drunken fighters as male. Let's break the norm and make the character a female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello World
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
How about an animal character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
I always see drunken fighters as male. Let's break the norm and make the character a female.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tippin
msg tools
For special powers, maybe incorporate the endless thirst idea and the drunken wobble idea like this:
A: Sponge: X = number of drink counters (DC). When you perform a signature combo, increase # DC by 1. (Maybe Bottoms Up does little to no damage but increases DC by 2)
If you take damage, remove a DC instead of discarding a card, until you have no more counters, then discard as normal . Any time you perform a signature combo, you may flip this card

B: Drunken Fury:
Drunken Wobble as above, but additionally: every round reduce DC by 1. Reduce damage taken by # of DC, but do not reduce #DC. If you have zero counters at the end of the round, flip this card

I wanted to incorporate the idea that the drunken fighter is like a sandbag but also prevent them from getting so strong through drink counters that the Drunken Wobble would set up an unstoppable sweep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tippin
msg tools
RayLancer wrote:

thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stevens
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
How about a gaunt, washed out, almost oni-like look, a la Gaara from Naruto?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/animequote/images/0/0e/G...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great ideas already!

@Vapi. Really like the Drunken Wobble. We don't want rules that make the game drag. But this seems both fun and fast.

The Endless Thirst seems fun as well. But it might be too difficult to play a Signature Combo to power up. Maybe a single blue "drink" card would be enough.

A couple of questions for you all.

What kind of individual Attack, Defense, Footwork Moves do you guys think the fighter should have?

Do we agree that the fighter powers up over the course of the fight by 'drinking'?

Can we agree on something like Drunken Wobble?

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electric_boogey wrote:
For special powers, maybe incorporate the endless thirst idea and the drunken wobble idea like this:
A: Sponge: X = number of drink counters (DC). When you perform a signature combo, increase # DC by 1. (Maybe Bottoms Up does little to no damage but increases DC by 2)
If you take damage, remove a DC instead of discarding a card, until you have no more counters, then discard as normal . Any time you perform a signature combo, you may flip this card

B: Drunken Fury:
Drunken Wobble as above, but additionally: every round reduce DC by 1. Reduce damage taken by # of DC, but do not reduce #DC. If you have zero counters at the end of the round, flip this card

I wanted to incorporate the idea that the drunken fighter is like a sandbag but also prevent them from getting so strong through drink counters that the Drunken Wobble would set up an unstoppable sweep

I like these ideas a lot, but I am afraid combining all of them would make this character overcomplicated, especially when compared to more straightforward characters such as Francisco.

I like Magic the Gathering, but one of the most annoying things about that game is the huge difference of different card sets. As a very casual player, I know the core concepts, but often some set-specific mechanics and terms are not clear to me. When playing with someone whose cards are from a set which I do not know, I often have to stop in the middle of my opponent's turn and ask for clarifications. Combo Fighter is very accessible at the moment, as the character specific rules are limited and easily referenced in the power token.

While I prefer the ability to spend extra cards to counter opponent's card flip, I think using counters as damage reduction resource could be a core concept for a different fighter. The classic archetype would be a giant man with powerful, but slow attacks such as Goro from Mortal Kombat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lublang wrote:
Some great ideas already!

@Vapi. Really like the Drunken Wobble. We don't want rules that make the game drag. But this seems both fun and fast.

The Endless Thirst seems fun as well. But it might be too difficult to play a Signature Combo to power up. Maybe a single blue "drink" card would be enough.

A couple of questions for you all.

What kind of individual Attack, Defense, Footwork Moves do you guys think the fighter should have?

Do we agree that the fighter powers up over the course of the fight by 'drinking'?

Can we agree on something like Drunken Wobble?

Asger

My original idea behind having a two card signature combo to increase the drink counter was that it would allow the player to choose which card goes to drink pile and the other to discard pile. This might offer small tactical option of eliminating certain kinds of cards to increase the likelihood of drawing the other type of card if you become staggered. This could be useful if the opponent is heavily specialized in certain colour.

Originally I thought either one, the drunken wobble or the endless thirst could the special ability, but they could offer some synergy if combined. When combined, they would offer a possibility of culling your deck which is common in deck building games. This would make it fairly likely that the drunken master becomes staggered during the match. I suppose that would be natural behaviour for such character after all.

Of course this is risky, but perhaps eliminating less valuable cards is an acceptable trade-off. I like this concept because it can add a bit of "hidden" depth without too many additional character-specific rules. Please note that I have not made any calculations on this concept, so I am not sure whether this could be implemented in a viable way.

As an alternative, a single blue card acting as a "drink" action could work, and it definitely would be easier to implement into the new characters kit.

I think the defining the special ability is the key to this character. Playing around with card distribution becomes simpler once the core concept is in place.

Personally I am leaning towards a balanced card distribution, with perhaps a slight tilt towards yellow and/or blue. The base damage of attacks should be fairly low, especially if there is some kind of power-up mechanic available. Perhaps some of the block and footwork cards could also deal small amounts of damage within combos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stevens
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I would think that the feigned clumsiness of the drunken fighter’s defensive maneuvers would encourage an opponent to pursue combos off of missed attacks (b/c the attacker seemingly has the upper hand). Thus, energy would be wasted by attempting to press an advantage that isn’t there.

What if a successful non-damaging footwork-related signature combo allows the drunken fighter to temporarily keep next round’s card facedown, while the opponent must decide whether to play a combo? At this point, the card is revealed and the winner of the round is assessed. The drunken fighter, however, would not be able to follow up with a combo on a win.

The opponent would be out in a difficult position, despite a lower likelihood of taking significant damage. Playing a combo might lead to swinging at air, yet not playing a combo might waste an opportunity. In my mind, the drunken style is all about making the opponent second guess him/herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for some great suggestions!

I think this fighter is going to be a ton of fun to play.

What I have so far based on your suggestions:

07-13-18 EDIT: Changes in bold.

[b]Drunken Fist Fighter

Power Token

Side A - Drunken Wobble
The following rules apply to the other side of this token. Once you know the rules, flip this token.

X = the number in the Rotation Box showing.

When you play your Bottoms Up Signature Combo, rotate this token.

After both players have flipped their Opening Card and if you are not Staggering, you may reveal 2 identical cards from your hand. If you do, discard one of them and retroactively play the other instead of the card you flipped (discard the flipped card.)

Side B
Rotation Boxes
1 - Token begins here.

Moves
9/b] x Drunken Fist. RT, speed: [b]7, dam: 0/X. Combo: RT, RS, YT.
6 X Kick. RS, speed:5,dam: X/X. Combo:RS, BS, YT.
4 x Fire Breath. RC, speed:1, dam: 8/X. Combo: NA
10 x Stumble. BT, dam: 0/0. Combo: RT, YT, YS.
6 x Kip Up. BS, dam: X/0. Combo: RS, YT, YS.
9 x Falter. YT, dam 0/X. Combo: RT, BT, BS.
6 x Fall. YS, dam 0/X. Combo: RS, RC BS.

Starting Hand: Drunken Fist, Fire Breath, Stumble, Fall, Falter.

Signature Combos
Bottoms Up: 0 dam
BT + YT

Stumbling Ancient

: 6 (10) dam
YT + BT + RT (+RS)

Drunken God: 8 (12) dam
YS + BS + RS (+RC)

Happy gaming guys and big hugs for participating! This is fun ;-)

Asger

Gameplay notes
The first design was too powerful. Having 12 identical cards in all three colors, made the Drunken Fist fighter almost impossible to hit. It was a lot of fun playing the fighter, but rather frustrating to play against. With the new distribution of cards, the chance to do the Drunken Wobble is slightly lower, but still high enough that it happens enough during the fight to give the feel of an evasive fighter.

Also, notice that we changed the signature combos from red to yellow. This feels more thematic and it helped solve a deadlock where opponents with enough blue cards could shut the fight down. Now, opponents are tempted to play red, since the Drunken fighter can pretty much only deal damage opening with yellow (playing Signature Combos). This, however, opens up for the Bottoms Up Signature Combo (notice how that begins with a blue card!). After a couple of 'sips' the drunken fighter is suddenly a force to be reckoned with.

I am quite happy with how she/he feels now. Very evasive and sneaky, dodging an opponent's blow right when they were confident they were going to land a big hit, all while chipping away at the opponents health bar.

07-13-18
Our fighter has been tweaked. Overall, his Drunken Wobble proved to be too powerful, even with the reduction of identical cards in his deck. The problem being that, once Staggered, discarding cards from the 'free' deck to get two identical cards was too easy rendering him virtually impossible for opponents to finish off. While you may argue that this was somewhat thematic, it didn't work. Therefore, our master now loses his Drunken Wobble rule when he becomes Staggered. Mechanically this works, and from a thematic perspective I guess even a Drunken Master can take a beating so thorough that he begins to falter (and not in a good way).

The other major change is the new Fire Breath card. Our master needs something to fend off an opponent that insists on opening with footwork cards. Before, this answer was his kick, but I was not completely happy with that solution. It kind of felt in between two chairs, and thematically, I felt that 4 damage for an old man's kick was a little too much. Still 4 damage was not enough to dissuade players from playing yelloe for long. I figured something more extreme was needed. Also, I wanted the Drunken Master to choose his moves a bit more carefully. Looking at the new concept art, it seemed obvious that the old master can spew a cloud a fire (I'm not sure what he has been drinking!). The attack is slow, as in Stomp-slow (Initiative of 1), but it deals 8 damage, and thus it serves its purpose. The master now has an effective (and I believe highly thematic) response to those pesky footwork fighters. But with only 1 card in hand and 3 left in the draw deck, he really has to choose his moment. This is more fun than being able to rely on the kicks from the get-go.

The kick has been adjusted back to dealing X/X damage. Combined with the blue square card, Kip Up, which now deals X/0, and the yellow square (0/X) the drunken master has a stronger incentive to play the Bottoms Up combo simply because it now powers up more of his cards. And after all, that is what we want him to do, right?

I believe this new version is more balanced (time will tell), but he is definitely more fun to play (and to play against).

I'll get back with another update tomorrow. If you have any thoughts, let me know!

And we still need a name for the fighter.

Happy gaming!

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we have a new female fighter from the stretch goal, we need a male drunken fighter !!
A (stereotype) drunken old Chinese male will fit the role perfectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackDarwid wrote:
Since we have a new female fighter from the stretch goal, we need a male drunken fighter !!

thumbsup devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlackenedRat wrote:
JackDarwid wrote:

thumbsup devil

Snorre will sketch up the two directions, and we will have a vote.

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Seeing as I've already thumbsup to both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lublang wrote:
Thanks everyone for some great suggestions!

I think this fighter is going to be a ton of fun to play.

What I have so far based on your suggestions:

07-12-18 EDIT: based on more playtests, I have made some changes below (in bold).

Drunken Fist Fighter

Power Token

Side A - Drunken Wobble
The following rules apply to the other side of this token. Once you know the rules, flip this token.

X = # in the Rotation Box.

When you play the 'Bottoms Up' Signature Combo, rotate this token.

After both players have flipped their Opening Card, you may reveal two identical cards from your hand. If you do, discard one of them and retroactively play the other instead of the card you flipped.

Side B
Rotation Boxes

Moves
10 x Drunken Fist. RT, speed: 8, dam: 0/X. Combo: RT, RS, YT.
8 X Kick. RS, speed: 6, dam: 4/X. Combo: BT, BS, YT.
10 x Stumble. BT, dam: 0/0. Combo: RT, RS, YT.
6 x Jump Up. BS, dam: 0/X. Combo: RS, YT, YS.
10 x Stagger. YT, dam 0/0. Combo: RT, BT, BS.
6 x Fall. YS, dam 0/X. Combo: RS, BS.

Starting Hand: Drunken Fist, Kick, Stumble, Fall, Stagger.

Signature Combos
Bottoms Up: 0 dam
BT + YT

100% Proof: 6 (9) dam
YT + BT + RT (+YT)

Drunken God: 7 (10) dam
YS + BS + BT (+RS)

We will try to get as many test fights played today and tomorrow as possible, beginning with a quick best out of three against all existing fighters.

Happy gaming guys and big hugs for participating! This is fun ;-)

Asger

Gameplay notes
The first design was too powerful. Having 12 identical cards in all three colors, made the Drunken Fist fighter almost impossible to hit. It was a lot of fun playing the fighter, but rather frustrating to play against. With the new distribution of cards, the chance to do the Drunken Wobble is slightly lower, but still high enough that it happens enough during the fight to give the feel of an evasive fighter.

Also, notice that we changed the signature combos from red to yellow. This feels more thematic and it helped solve a deadlock where opponents with enough blue cards could shut the fight down. Now, opponents are tempted to play red, since the Drunken fighter can pretty much only deal damage opening with yellow (playing Signature Combos). This, however, opens up for the Bottoms Up Signature Combo (notice how that begins with a blue card!). After a couple of 'sips' the drunken fighter is suddenly a force to be reckoned with.

I am quite happy with how she/he feels now. Very evasive and sneaky, dodging an opponent's blow right when they were confident they were going to land a big hit, all while chipping away at the opponents health bar.

I like how RT can be used to win the initiative against most opponents, but it cannot deal damage as an opener. This forces the drunken master to decide whether he wants to increase the probability of winning the card flip, or going all in with RS. Saving RT for countering opponent's footwork is also important in certain matchups.

I would change the name of YT to something else, as stagger is already a "reserved word" in the game terminology. Perhaps sway would be a better alternative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.