Subject: I am trying to find a game like... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Brasier
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hello,
Like many people before me I have got into board gaming through a combination of curiosity and helpful people and friends. It is with that that I ask this one complex question: Is their a solo-able board game like Etrian Odyssey or Dragon Quest 9? And if so what is the said board game? (Etrian Odyssey and Dragon Quest 9 are RPGs for the Nintendo DS system)

For those that don't do multiple hobbies or haven't heard of the aforementioned games a brief description will be provided. Both games are similar in theme and mechanics a team of people (1-5) band together to explore preset and randomly generated dungeons where they collect loot, money, and experience. The loot and money are used to upgrade their equipment and the experience is used to upgrade a specific path that the above team members have chosen (thief gets agility and thief skills, mage gets magic and spells, warrior gets strength and physical skills...)

Where these games differ from the norm is a combination of superbosses and conditional drops. In both games they have extremely overpowered bosses that take all the stagey that you can must to beat(can't spam attack and hope to win) and upon the defeat of the boss great awards are ,well... awarded, but if you beat the boss with a specific ability or method (kill a thunder dragon with thunder) you get a special reward that gives lots of money and access to legendary equipment. Along with this form of the legendary equipment their are special drops that have as little as 2.5 percent chance of dropping, the said items are equal to if not superior to the legendary equipment.

All of that wraps up to say that I am looking for a board game that has randomized characters with personal skill trees, an equipment and loot system, and superbosses with rare drops. If no such game like this exists yet then please inform me on a game that gets as close to this as you can, or your favorite solo-able highly repayable board game.

Sincerely,

Peter

P.S.
The games that I currently have and play the most are:
Lord of the rings LCG
Onirim
One Deck Dungeon
Dungeon Alliance
Tailsman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Zombicide: Black Plague
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Annihilation Board Game
Hope these might work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mullins
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played Gloomhaven yet but it might be worth checking out. I hear people think its quite good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swimfish2005 wrote:
All of that wraps up to say that I am looking for a board game that has randomized characters with personal skill trees, an equipment and loot system, and superbosses with rare drops.
I don't think I know of a game with superbosses and rare drops.

Apart from that, Assault on Doomrock is somewhat similar. Actually, you only fight against 'bosses' in this game. Regular encounters are abstract and simply result in the loss of some resources. In the adventure phases between boss battles you can buy or find equipment and level up to gain better skills.
It doesn't support campaign play, though. A game ends after defeating the third and final boss.

Arcadia Quest is also somewhat similar. But it's a PvP game for up to four players. It supports campaign play and includes a few 'secret' quests that can earn you rare drops if you manage to complete them.
During scenarios you collect gold which is used to buy new spells and better equipment between scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... It's difficult to get something that will match the tile by tile dungeon generation of Etrain odyssey (I haven't played DQ9).

Tile by tile map generation games, tend to have a lot of luck. Dungeon Quest, is a game I love, but it is no way shape or form similar to what you describe.

Claustrophobia has tile by tile dungeon generation, and is a strict 2 player game. I enjoyed that one too, but have only played it a hand full of times. It lacks character building.

Gloomhaven has the character building campaign, but no random dungeons. You have to manage your resources (deck of cards) on your delve, or risk failure by the end. It is a game a lot of people love, and has a lot of content and support (a little too slow for me).

Descent is one of my favorite dungeon crawls, character building and gathering equipment is present in this game, but the delves are about managing time, rather than resources. You need to manage how you use your actions, because the game is inherently a race. Also the app has a lot of different modes, one called the Delve, which feels almost like etrain odyssey, but without the random layouts.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brasier
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thank you all for the suggestion; I think I need to bite the bullet and try gloomhaven out (maybe find someone to play it with because it is currently to expensive for my current budget, same reason I haven't tried kingdom death monster). This question gave me a list of games to look through and try out like descent, claustrophobia, and zombicide.
Thanks again for the help
Sincerely,
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.