Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Weapon Proficiency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Murphy

California
msg tools
So in the section in the rulebook about weapon proficiency the book says:
"During a showdown a survivor must wound a monster at least once with their chosen weapon type to become eligible to gain 1 level of weapon proficiency."

1) In 1.5 the text in the aftermath changed from "+1 weapon proficiency (if eligible)" to "+1 weapon proficiency". I'm assuming this is just for space and the (if eligible) is implied and you can't have a survivor that didn't wound once gain proficiency just for showing up to the showdown. Is this accurate?

(Possibly very tiny spoilers about Butcher aftermath)
2) Additionally 1.5 started adding the ability to be inspired by the monster and change your weapon type and gain X levels of proficiency where X is the monster level. Does this ignore the rule of "must wound with their chosen weapon"? Can I have a survivor that did 0 wounds to the Butcher gain X levels in Axe mastery in the aftermath?

3) The book says on it's section about Changing your weapon type: "If they do, lose all accrued levels of weapon proficiency, including weapon specializations. Erase any filled boxes and start over with the new weapon type."
What we -had- been doing here is when someone swapped weapon types they lost everything, including the ability to use their mastery for that weapon, which now I'm wondering if that shouldn't be the case, and they should just lose specialization, but not mastery (and if you have mastery they'd retain the specialization anyway after swapping). Is this correct? Or does weapon mastery count as a specialization as well?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
So, I can't really comment on 2 because I'm not sure, but the answer to 1 is the same as it used to be. I think they removed that text because monsters had the amount of proficiency and hunt xp adjusted. (you still have to be eligible by getting that wound in)

As for 3, I've seen a lot of back and forth, and I'm pretty convinced that you get to keep the Mastery if you switch your chosen proficiency. The rulebook explicitly says you lose specialization. Additionally, the part about mastery says that the master keeps the full benefits of mastery so long as the innovation stays in the settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WarioMCP wrote:
As for 3, I've seen a lot of back and forth, and I'm pretty convinced that you get to keep the Mastery if you switch your chosen proficiency. The rulebook explicitly says you lose specialization. Additionally, the part about mastery says that the master keeps the full benefits of mastery so long as the innovation stays in the settlement.
This is correct. The survivor who obtained mastery is always a master even if they switch their weapon. And the Mastery innovation grants the specialization to everyone, so a Master can switch to a new weapon-type and retain both, technically.

As for OP's (1), s/he is correct that someone who doesn't inflict a wound doesn't gain a proficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Regarding 2, I think that you can gain the proficiency even if you don't make the wound. It's a separate effect from the standard +1 Weapon Proficiency so I see no reason not to gain it if you elect to take that option. You learn by watching in those cases, not by doing.

There are other situations that grant + proficiency at the end of the showdown (I can think of a couple Death Blow locations off the top of my head) and you would gain that proficiency regardless of your eligibility for regular proficiency. I handle it the same as those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
WarioMCP wrote:

Correct. There is a mechanic in PotStars that makes use of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeMuscles wrote:

2) Additionally 1.5 started adding the ability to be inspired by the monster and change your weapon type and gain X levels of proficiency where X is the monster level. Does this ignore the rule of "must wound with their chosen weapon"? Can I have a survivor that did 0 wounds to the Butcher gain X levels in Axe mastery in the aftermath?

Yes, anyone can choose to gain that proficiency with monster level ranks, even if they would be otherwise ineligible. This also permits survivors who have not aged to gain a proficiency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.