Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Roman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere. Every set of keywords I try just gives me information about the first printing.

My Act Three Second Intermission card reads:

"Change Nemo's Motive or select a Nautilus Upgrade card for purchase."

This seems to be a change from the first printing, which instructs you to select one Nautilus upgrade card to add to the available upgrades. I am curious what others think about that change. If I understand the new wording correctly, you have to have salvaged ships available in order to take advantage of this ability. This lead to a situation where I didn't change my motive, but also didn't get to benefit from this upgrade action. I guess with more planning I would have been able to take advantage of it.

Personally, I think I prefer the first printing wording. It gives the player a chance to acquire an upgrade from the deck that wasn't already drawn, helping to mitigate some of the luck involved in drawing the initial selection of upgrades.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I correct that the player has to already have salvage saved in order to take this upgrade? I've only played twice (and lost both times), so maybe I'm missing something about the usefulness of this card.

Edit: Adding further confusion to this situation, the rule book currently lists the old act iii wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

electronsonmars wrote:
If I understand the new wording correctly, you have to have salvaged ships available in order to take advantage of this ability.

Hmmm... am not sure where you got that from. The current rulebook (Reprint version, from their website) says nothing about needing salvaged ships. Here's the full rule from that rulebook (p 27):

"At the beginning of Act Three, you receive a one-time opportunity to change Nemo’s Motive and the voyage’s mission or, if you do not, select one set aside Nautilus Upgrade card and add it to those available for purchase. You must immediately decide whether to keep Nemo’s current Motive or you can change it to any of the other three. Whatever you decide, you’ve had your one chance to change your mind and there is no turning back! Proceed to the final Act of the game!"

And it's also not in the slightly older version, available here in the files library (rev 3):

"At the beginning of Act Three, you receive a one-time opportunity to change Nemo’s Motive and the voyage’s mission or, if you do not, place another available Nautilus Upgrade card for purchase. You must immediately decide whether to keep Nemo’s current Motive or you can change it to any of the other three. Whatever you decide, you’ve had your one chance to change your mind and there is no turning back! Proceed to the final Act of the game!"

So which version are you using that talks about needing salvaged ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Salvaged ships are not considered. You're only adding a Nautilus Upgrade in the FOR PURCHASE area to the side of the board. You don't RECEIVE it until you DO purchase it normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Roman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. That helps. Thanks for the answers!

I hadn't seen the actual page in the rulebook until my second play this evening. I guess what confused me is that the card says to select an act iii card for purchase, and I thought that meant I was supposed to be picking from cards already available rather than adding a card to the available list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arash Sanari
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
electronsonmars wrote:

I hadn't seen the actual page in the rulebook until my second play this evening. I guess what confused me is that the card says to select an act iii card for purchase, and I thought that meant I was supposed to be picking from cards already available rather than adding a card to the available list.

I was under the exact same impression. This game makes a super effort of having all info you need on the map and/or cards. But this is one of those rare instances of failure. The risk om misunderstanding this rule is HUGE if you only read the act III card; you need to read the paragraph quoted above by Barry Miller to understand it. If you only read the card one can easily presume that you TAKE a nautilus upgrade and add it to your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
electronsonmars wrote:

Yeah, thought it was a free successful Refit action myself too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb

Platon1 wrote:
The risk om misunderstanding this rule is HUGE if you only read the act III card; you need to read the paragraph quoted above by Barry Miller to understand it.

Yeah, playing games without reading the rules is generally not recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Roman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:

Platon1 wrote:
The risk om misunderstanding this rule is HUGE if you only read the act III card; you need to read the paragraph quoted above by Barry Miller to understand it.

I usually don’t read the scoring rules until I need to score for the first time. The rules on Act 3 are in the section about scoring. So, I read the rules far enough to be able to play the game through the Finale. Then I lost twice, which meant there didn’t seem to be a good reason to read the scoring section yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:

Platon1 wrote:

To be fair, the rules explicitly state that "Rules on the cards take precedence over the rules in this booklet." Therefore, it is of utmost importance to have clear card rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.