Subject: A few questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Gates
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
1) Is a space with a coin considered an "empty hex?"

2) If a flying monster dies while flying over an obstacle, I assume the coin lands on the obstacle?

3) If my summon's turn is up, but there are no more monsters and the next room hadn't been revealed yet, it would not move, correct? Or would it move toward the door?

4) How does adding a Target on a ranged attack work with AoE? Do I get to cast Dirt Tornado at the three guys in front of me, and then add a Target behind me covering the same honeycomb area, hitting another 2 or 3 monsters?

5) Is Cragheart's "Clear the Way" a ranged attack?

6) Am I considered my own ally? If something i do affects allies, does it affect me also?

7) Can doors be closed?

8) Does the Mindthief really do that much damage at Level 1, or are we meeting up somehow. I think with his damage and stuns, he almost took the Stone Golem out on his own.

I'm sure there will be more. Thanks for any responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
1) No
2) Yes
3) Does not move
4) You add just one enemy target, not a group of hexes
5) Yes
6) No
7) Usually no. In some later scenarios there are ways that doors can be closed.
8) Yes, but the Scoundrel can match the Mindthief in damage. And the Mindthief doesn't get any multi-target attacks until level 5, and even that one just does 1 damage per target. Edit: they get a multi-target attack at level 4 that is a loss card, but it only does 2 damage per target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leki523 wrote:

Not sure, but we decided yes.

Quote:
2) If a flying monster dies while flying over an obstacle, I assume the coin lands on the obstacle?

Yes.

Quote:
3) If my summon's turn is up, but there are no more monsters and the next room hadn't been revealed yet, it would not move, correct? Or would it move toward the door?

It'll stay put.

Quote:
4) How does adding a Target on a ranged attack work with AoE? Do I get to cast Dirt Tornado at the three guys in front of me, and then add a Target behind me covering the same honeycomb area, hitting another 2 or 3 monsters?

No, you just get to add 1 extra target. It's a bit weird, but there you go.

Quote:
5) Is Cragheart's "Clear the Way" a ranged attack?

Don't have it in front of me, so I'm not sure.

Quote:
6) Am I considered my own ally? If something i do affects allies, does it affect me also?

No.

Quote:
7) Can doors be closed?

No, not unless the scenario says they can (I haven't seen any where it does, but just in case).

Quote:
8) Does the Mindthief really do that much damage at Level 1, or are we meeting up somehow. I think with his damage and stuns, he almost took the Stone Golem out on his own.

They do seem rather deadly, don't they? As far as I can see, yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bessie
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
8. Yes, but they are also a very fragile melee character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Leki523 wrote:

Just to clarify ... this is incorrect, Gabriel answered correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mindthief is in fact a super-deadly single-target character even at low level. She's got high damage and with stuns and immobilizes, she definitely could take down basically any non-boss opponent one-on-one with no support without getting hit at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note for question 4, the added target can't have already been targeted by the area effect. Has to be a different target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2) yes, the coin would sit on top of the obstacle. But a loot action (Loot 1, Loot 2, etc.) would still scoop up the coin if it was within range. And if the obstacle was destroyed or moved, the coin would stay in the (now obstacle-less) hex.

Jlerpy wrote:
Quote:

No, you just get to add 1 extra target. It's a bit weird, but there you go.

It isn't that weird. Add Target adds a target, it does not add another "Area of Effect". So the "Add Target" just means that you can target one more enemy that is within the listed range of the original attack. But only if there is an additional enemy within that range that wasn't already targeted by that attack.

7) Pretty much the only time a door ever closes is during certain scenarios where a particular door only stays open as long as a character is occupying a pressure plate, thus if that character moves off that pressure plate, the door closes. There may be certain other rare situations where a door might close, but in any case, these would all be explained in the "special rules" for the scenario. If the scenario text doesn't mention a particular door closing, then it will never close once opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
1) No
2) Yes
3) Does not move
4) You add just one enemy target, not a group of hexes
5) Yes
6) No
7) Usually no. In some later scenarios there are ways that doors can be closed.
8) Yes, but the Scoundrel can match the Mindthief in damage. And the Mindthief doesn't get any multi-target attacks until level 5, and even that one just does 1 damage per target. Edit: they get a multi-target attack at level 4 that is a loss card, but it only does 2 damage per target.

Gabriel is 100% correct, but for clarity, here are the references to support his answers.

1) Page 19 of the rulebook, under "Flying" (yeah, I know, an obscure place to put it) an empty hex is defined as:
Rulebook page 19 wrote:
(no figures, tokens, or overlay tiles of any kind present except corridors, pressure plates, and open doors).

The FAQs also repeat this under the heading Unoccupied vs. Empty Hex to make it clear that this is the official definition of an empty hex.

2) Page 20 of the rulebook says:
Rulebook page 20 wrote:
When a monster dies, a money token is also placed on the hex where it died if the monster was not summoned or spawned.

There's no exception for flying creatures.

3) Page 26 of the rulebook says:
Rulebook page 26 wrote:
Summons are not controlled by the summoning player, but instead obey automated monster rules...

As the situation described means that there are no monsters to focus on, the summons will obey the following from page 30 of the rulebook:
Rulebook page 30 wrote:
In the case where there are no valid targets on which to focus, because there are no valid hexes a monster can attack from (i.e., they are all blocked, occupied, or there is no open path to reach them), regardless of the number of hexes it could move, a
monster will not move or attack on its turn, but it will perform any of the other actions on its ability card that it is able.

Thus, with no valid targets on which to focus, the summons will not move or attack on its turn.

4) This is clarified in the FAQs in the section Area of Effect Attacks
FAQs wrote:
How does Add Target interact with area attacks?
Add Target always adds a single extra target within the range of your attack to the attack, and this target cannot be an enemy already targeted by the attack (a single attack ability cannot target the same enemy multiple times). So if you got an Add Target effect on an area attack, you could pick one enemy within range but outside of the area (because all enemies in the area are already getting attacked) to get hit by the attack as well. All conditions and other effects of the attack (other than effects that would add additional attack targets) would apply to the added target, as well. Each instance of the Add Target effect adds an additional target to the attack using the above guidelines. Add Target DOES NOT add a hex to the area so effects that apply to the "Area" don't apply to the Add Target.

Note that if an attack ability targets everything within a specified range, Add Target would do nothing since you are already targeting everything in that range.

5) This is clarified in the FAQs under the Cragheart Level 3 section (spoiler section of the FAQs):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Clear the Way (Card 132):
The top attacks are considered range attacks.

6)This is clarified in the FAQs under the Allies section:
FAQs wrote:
Am I an ally of myself?
No.

7) Page 14 of the rulebook states:
Rulebook page 14 wrote:
Open doors do not hinder any movement and cannot be closed.

This is varied in some scenarios where scenario-specific rules allow certain doors to be closed. This will be documented in those scenarios.

8) No need for a reference for this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CrashTestDummy wrote:
1) Page 19 of the rulebook, under "Flying" (yeah, I know, an obscure place to put it) an empty hex is defined as:
Rulebook page 19 wrote:
(no figures, tokens, or overlay tiles of any kind present except corridors, pressure plates, and open doors).

The FAQs also repeat this under the heading Unoccupied vs. Empty Hex to make it clear that this is the official definition of an empty hex.

I wonder if this would also mean that hexes which contain scenario aid tokens (the red and white circles with a letter or number on it) or Objective tokens (the black/silver tokens with a number on it) are not considered empty. They are, after all, "tokens". It says so right in the name.
Of course, these scenario aid tokens are placed in hexes to indicate things like where monsters spawn at, and if these tokens themselves mean that hex is no longer "empty", then that seems a bit weird (but since spawns will appear in the nearest empty hex, it wouldn't cause that much of an issue.

I've always considered those scenario aid token hexes to be "empty", but perhaps I've been misplaying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That can't be. As far as I know, they're optional to place on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
still, going by an absolutely literal interpretation of that rulebook line stating the empty hexes contain no tokens.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you but they're called aids. By definition, you don't have to use them and if you do, you can pretend they're not there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
I hear you but they're called aids. By definition, you don't have to use them and if you do, you can pretend they're not there.

What about Scenario 78 (spoilers within)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it depends on the rules of the scenario. If the token/aid/marker represents an ally, for example, you're hard pressed to explain monsters running through them or attacking them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Some scenarios specify that the aid markers represent figures and the like. Treatment of those is defined by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Leki523 wrote:

Just to clarify ... this is incorrect, Gabriel answered correctly.

That's unfortunate, but I don't think a little pile of treasure should block summoning or stop a boulder getting dropped, so ... going to stick with the version that makes sense instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:

That's unfortunate, but I don't think a little pile of treasure should block summoning or stop a boulder getting dropped, so ... going to stick with the version that makes sense instead.

Well, when it comes to making sense:
That little token represents a freshly killed opponent that hasn't been looted (and moved out of the way) yet. One could just as well argue that the spot should be considered difficult terrain for the rest of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

That little token represents a freshly killed opponent that hasn't been looted (and moved out of the way) yet. One could just as well argue that the spot should be considered difficult terrain for the rest of the game).

You could!

And that also wouldn't stop a boulder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

You could!

And that also wouldn't stop a boulder...

Neither would a treasure chest, or an ally, or an enemy, or a trap, or a closed door, or a table or another boulder.
But you still can't stack your boulder on top of any of those things, nor summon any allies there.
Because those are the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.