Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking to go outside my bubble for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm good question.

How does one judge the veracity of any given news source, regardless of political colourings?

It could be argued that if a news site has a specified political bias, all of its reporting is always going to be through the particular lens/ filter corresponding to their political belief, in which case it is no longer 'trustworthy' (in that it is no longer totally objective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Daily Telegraph is the bastion of traditional British conservativism as far as its editorial stance. The cliche is that it's read by retired colonels.

Depending on how you're defining Conservatism The Economist is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. It's essentially classic liberalism.

Conservapedia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One should never leave his echo chamber, it's dangerous out there.

There's an 83% chance that by simply exposing yourself to right wing media will turn you into a soulless republican. And being republican is a gateway to becoming a white supremacist, and ultimately to being like (and even worse: looking like) Steve Bannon.

Do you want to take that chance? Do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one of those media bias charts from this site:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

In general that's useful but there's some weird analysis. The idea that Mother Jones is to the left of Jacobin and no more left wing than The Intercept stands out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Free Stories and eBooks for the Beginning Reader http://www.clarkness.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox News - nonsense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
spoon wrote:

In general that's useful but there's some weird analysis. The idea that Mother Jones is to the left of Jacobin and no more left wing than The Intercept stands out.

That might be artefact of the y-axis. With few notable exceptions the chart seems tpo point that more mainstream something is, less bias it has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Duh. National Review.

Highlights from today's When Patriotism Loses Its Universality
By Jonah Goldberg

National Review wrote:
That’s one reason why conservatives loved to talk about the New Deal as if it was some kind of ersatz Commie plot, when the reality was that it was a thoroughgoing nationalist affair. From the art of the WPA, to the militarism of the Blue Eagle and WPA, to FDR’s refusal to cooperate with allies to fight the Great Depression at the London Economic Conference, the New Deal was wrapped up in the aesthetics and economics of statist nationalism.

National Review wrote:
I should also note, lest I lose my membership in the International Order of Woodrow Wilson Haters, that the New Dealers were, almost to a person, Wilson-administration retreads. While Wilson may have pushed an “internationalist” foreign policy to justify entrance into the First World War, it was sold domestically as unbridled, and often authoritarian, nationalism.

National Review wrote:
The same liberals who today have suddenly discovered the merits of free trade in order to oppose Donald Trump’s “economic nationalism” cheered Barack Obama’s “economic patriotism.” Obama thought it was patriotic to help solar-panel companies. Trump thinks it’s patriotic to favor coal companies. You can argue about the comparative benefits of the policies, but it’s still industrial planning and picking winners and losers.

national Review wrote:
Like appeals to divine authority, appeals to patriotism only work on people who recognize the authority of patriotism. And the more you invoke patriotism as a substitute for fact-based arguments, the more you drain the power from patriotism. The more patriotism is used to sell an explicitly partisan agenda, the more patriotism is seen as a partisan phenomenon.

National Review wrote:
When nationalism-sold-as-patriotism becomes the primary rationale for any party in power, the toxic process of polarization and partisanship gets worse, and the language of patriotism gets cheapened, because everything the party in power wants to do is gussied up in red-white-and-blue bunting.

National Review wrote:
Today, everything the Trump administration wants to do is tarted up with the drag-queen lipstick of MAGA. The swamp, the fake news, the deep state, globalists, and every other familiar euphemism for “enemies of the people” are daily cast as unpatriotic because they disagree with, or dislike, the president or his policies....Some of Trump’s critics do suffer from a lack of patriotism — but not because they criticize Trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
spoon wrote:

That might be artefact of the y-axis. With few notable exceptions the chart seems tpo point that more mainstream something is, less bias it has.

Yeah, It's a subjective rating, so I wouldn't try to apply that level of fidelity to the chart. They both fall into the same general category.

It does look suspiciously aligned to a normal distribution curve, though, so there was probably a bit of fudging to get it to look that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is more important to agregate sites to notice trends and consider how the same stories run in liberal/conservstive sources. Also seeing which hang in headlines on any given day helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
The Daily Telegraph is the bastion of traditional British conservativism as far as its editorial stance. The cliche is that it's read by retired colonels.

Depending on how you're defining Conservatism The Economist is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. It's essentially classic liberalism.

Conservapedia

Thanks, yeah the Economist is my main subscription. I would agree that it is fiscally conservative.

There's a really good conservative journal I've read at Barnes & Noble, but a cursory search won't find it right now. It has 20 page articles arguing causes with evidence. I'll post it in a day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Conservapedia

Thanks, yeah the Economist is my main subscription. I would agree that it is fiscally conservative.

There's a really good conservative journal I've read at Barnes & Noble, but a cursory search won't find it right now. It has 20 page articles arguing causes with evidence. I'll post it in a day or two.

I see someone already got to the only one I read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right wing and trustworthy is a dichotomy, you speak with forked tongue sir.

I'd run with the National Review, they are not over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get all of my right-wing stuff from friends and family on Facebook. Most of it seems legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
The Daily Telegraph is the bastion of traditional British conservativism as far as its editorial stance.

But, unless it's changed recently, bought into such things as climate change denial.

In a British context, the Financial Times has a good reputation, but is (as its name suggests) more - though not exclusively - focussed on business and finance. I haven't looked at the Times and Sunday Times for a while - the latter used to be a better bet than the former. But they're both Murdoch and subject to his whims, as the Telegraph is to the Barclay brothers. I'm not sure which of the weeklies are on the sane side of conservatism, which on the insane side, these days - where is the Economist today?

Just don't try the Daily Mail. Though the editor of the (apparently, I haven't personally checked) less rabid Sunday Mail will be taking over the Daily Mail later this year. Will it change or will he?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find some pundits are far more readable:

Andrew Sullivan
Max Boot
Jennifer Rubin
(Hint: they've all gone off the reservation in the era of Trump.)

And: damn, that Goldberg stuff in NR is enraging. Trump is liberalism's fault no matter what, huh? Always some else's fucking fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
I find some pundits are far more readable:

Andrew Sullivan
Max Boot
Jennifer Rubin
(Hint: they've all gone off the reservation in the era of Trump.)

Scratch Sullivan, but 100% agree on Boot and Rubin. Also, I'd throw in Tom Nichols, author of Death of Expertise and a prof at the US Naval War College. (@radiofreetom)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://steeleandungar.com/

A liberal and a conservative discuss current issues.

Sirius 124.

Wall street journal.

I have heard that some conservative news sources are registered as entertainment rather than news.

(This is a talk show tho.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Economist is my goto for serious, rigorous news reporting, but for politics of the day, daily political news, on the conservative end I use Townhall's tip sheet (I use TalkingPointsMemo for the same thing on the liberal end, and FiveThirtyEight for the data analysis angle):

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
The Economist is my goto for serious, rigorous news reporting, but for politics of the day, daily political news, on the conservative end I use Townhall's tip sheet (I use TalkingPointsMemo for the same thing on the liberal end, and FiveThirtyEight for the data analysis angle):

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/

It’s the only right leaning publication I read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll Echo the Economist and also the WSJ. Both are good, solid news orgs (although the WSJ editorial page gets a little whacky)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Just looking to go outside my bubble for a bit.

You want to 'go honest' (not that you're not honest; you want a site which is honest). I would start with mainstream conservatism. Google 'George Will', probably the greatest spokesman for conservatism in America today; start with articles by him, and see, from there, if you can find any websites which espouse his basic views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Instapundit, it’s more of a collection site.

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/

American Thinker is pretty good

https://www.americanthinker.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.