Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Summary
You’re working to unload boxes from a ship that has come into port. You don’t have much control of the order the boxes come in so you’ll have to do your best to fill in the box yard with what you get. But be careful, there’s some funky shaped boxes on board and they only get bigger and weirder as you go!

The game is a polyomino laying roll ‘n write and is an entry to the 2018 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Each turn you will roll dice to select a tile from the grid to place. Once a tile has been used it is crossed off from the grid, if later on in the game you select a crossed off square you instead place a tile of the shape formed by the group of connected crossed off squares. At the end of the game you will score points for the hexominoes you made on the selection grid and subtract points away for any unfilled spaces on your board.

Links
Rules
Game Sheet

Components
1 Game Sheet
1 pencil
2 dice

Playing time: 30 minutes

I’d like Volunteers to be assigned to the game.

The game doesn’t require any cuts. However you might find it easier to play if you cut the selection grid off from the placement board so that you can rotate them independently.

Categories
Best Overall Game
Most Innovative Mechanic-Building polyominoes on the selection grid which then must be placed.
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
Best Easy to Build Game
Low Ink printing
Best Push Your Luck-Quadrants don’t open until you’ve built some hexominoes. A player can choose to delay building hexominoes in order to build them in a way that will score more points
Best Puzzle/Abstract
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Postcard Boxyard - a polyomino laying roll 'n write game (2018 Solitaire PnP Design Contest)
Welcome, Perry! Abstracts are not my usual jam, and I have not played a Roll and Write, but I will give yours a try sometime this weekend! Making a task in my task manager right now.

Cheers and best of luck!

PS. Here's 8 for a microbadge, go shopping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Re: [WIP] Postcard Boxyard - a polyomino laying roll 'n write game (2018 Solitaire PnP Design Contest)
Glad to hear it! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

And thanks for the geekgold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Looks interesting and I can't wait to try it! I've looked at the game rules and have a couple of comments for your consideration:

1. Will each quadrant have a shaded square after setup? If so, does it help to include the shaded squares in the first placement example?

2. On game sheet layout: will it work better if the 'OPEN' squares are separated and placed individually at each quadrant? Can the 'OPEN' box for quadrant 1 be pre-ticked to indicate it's open?

3. On theme: will it work if the score for the game is represented by the $ the player makes for storing the boxes? For empty spaces, you lose $ for not utilizing your yard. Grouping the hexominoes in a certain manner could earn you more $. 'LIVES' can be replaced by 'OPERATING COST' - 4 boxes of $2 each. So instead of losing lives, you lose $ when you can't place a box and have to pay for external storage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
1 rule question please:

On pg 2, it is stated that "If you cannot or do not want to place either of the tiles, fill in a single square on the placement board."

On pg 3, it is stated that "If you could not or chose not to place either of the tiles, cross off one of your lives."

Is there 1 correct rule or should I do both?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
zombie_homer wrote:
Looks interesting and I can't wait to try it! I've looked at the game rules and have a couple of comments for your consideration:

1. Will each quadrant have a shaded square after setup? If so, does it help to include the shaded squares in the first placement example?

2. On game sheet layout: will it work better if the 'OPEN' squares are separated and placed individually at each quadrant? Can the 'OPEN' box for quadrant 1 be pre-ticked to indicate it's open?

3. On theme: will it work if the score for the game is represented by the $ the player makes for storing the boxes? For empty spaces, you lose $ for not utilizing your yard. Grouping the hexominoes in a certain manner could earn you more $. 'LIVES' can be replaced by 'OPERATING COST' - 4 boxes of $2 each. So instead of losing lives, you lose $ when you can't place a box and have to pay for external storage

1 rule question please:

On pg 2, it is stated that "If you cannot or do not want to place either of the tiles, fill in a single square on the placement board."

On pg 3, it is stated that "If you could not or chose not to place either of the tiles, cross off one of your lives."

Is there 1 correct rule or should I do both?

Thanks for taking a look!

1. Each quadrant will have a shaded square after setup, so I've added shaded squares in the first placement example.

2. That's a good point. I put the "open boxes" around the placement board so they are adjacent to the quadrant they refer to and I added a tick to the first quadrant.

3. I like that idea for the theme a lot! I've tried to incorporate some of it into the rules text and player sheet.

To answer the rule question, you do both. So you place both the single square on the placement board and then cross off one of your lives. I'll try to make it more clear in the rules.

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions! They're very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
After doing some more playtesting of the game, by myself and with others here are some thoughts.

-Players did not like that when you roll doubles or when your results differ by exactly 2 you don't actually have a choice of what tile to place. A key part of what makes the selection grid interesting is balancing how useful the tile you choose actually is with what shapes the crossed off squares will now make. Eliminating one of those factors makes the game less tense and less interesting. So I'm going to slightly rearrange the selection grid, probably sometime tomorrow and I need to think up an alternative option for what happens when you roll doubles. Maybe just let the player choose any of the 4 adjacent squares?

-Players had some trouble recognizing the shapes the crossed off squares made even when they were circled. I think the big cause of this is that I usually give people a black pen to play with and that doesn't have enough contrast with the rest of the selection grid to make that recognition simple. I should probably just give players pencils or red or blue pens to play with but I'm curious to hear if anyone has any thoughts on how to solve this problem. People didn't seem to have a lot of trouble rotating or flipping the pieces which is really heartening as I think the lack of physicality in a polyomino laying game could be a big weakness of the game.

-I'm not sure of how many lives to give players or how valuable they should be. 4 seems like a lot but the lives are currently not worth very many points (really just one point since you get to place a single square on the placement board when you use one). I'll have to play the game some more adopting some different strategies and see what I think.

-I've also been thinking about other scoring methods. Instead of penalizing players for each empty square they have they could earn 1 point for each completely filled row or column. It might be easier to tally up at the end of the game and I in general prefer bonuses to penalties but the range of possible scores (0-12 points) doesn't provide as much specificity as the penalty which is what's holding me back. Another idea I've had is to imitate some of the other scoring patterns from FITS (this kind of stuff is also in a lot of Uwe Rosenberg's bigger polyomino laying games) in which specific squares are worth positive or negative bonus points if they are left uncovered at the end of the game. I could also do something more complicated with set collection of some icons that remain uncovered. I probably won't move towards that until I feel like the core game is really solid, and those would probably end up being some variants.

-Right now the way to get the maximum score is to take some risks on the selection grid by making as large and awkward of hexominoes as possible AND to get pretty lucky as far as getting tiles that fill in your final empty squares. So its possible to play well and get close to the max but I'm not sure how skill based getting the max actually is, hopefully someone can get it and prove me wrong!

If anyone gets a chance to play the game as well as your comments I'd be curious to know

1) Did you have difficulty rotating or flipping tiles?
2) Do the scoring rules for the hexominoes make sense?
3) What other reminder text or info do you think should be on the player sheet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
I've played the game twice now but didn't manage to get past opening the 2nd quadrant modest. Can I clarify if the following rule applies to when I rolled doubles:

If you placed a tile formed from crossed off squares choose any square on the selection grid to cross off.

pkleinhe wrote:
1) Did you have difficulty rotating or flipping tiles?

No, the shapes are fairly simple and I had no issues.

pkleinhe wrote:
2) Do the scoring rules for the hexominoes make sense?

They're ok, but I found myself desperately trying to form a hexomino before I run out of space, and hence paid very little attention to maximizing score here.

I haven't played the game enough, but here's a wild suggestion:

As the shapes on the Selection Grid are colored (randomly?), would it be possible to make use of them to add an element of scoring/ replayability?

For example, forming a hexomino with 4 yellow shapes or forming a hexomino with 3 or less 5-box shapes, etc... will provide either an in-game advantage (e.g. ability to re-roll/ manipulate a die) or bonus end game scoring.

Not sure if it'll be significant, but it may provide some replayability if the above condition varies for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
zombie_homer wrote:
I've played the game twice now but didn't manage to get past opening the 2nd quadrant modest.

Ok, hmm it might be too difficult to open the other quadrants in time then. Maybe I should decrease the number of hexominoes you need to form to open the 3rd quadrant from 3 to 2 and the number to open the 4th quadrant from 5 to 4. Another option would be to add special spaces on the board, which when you cover allow you to open a quadrant. I like the idea of having the opening of quadrants tied up in the creation of hexominoes, I feel like it adds a lot of tension and challenge to the game but I don't want it to be punishing. This does make it possible for players to get unlucky and not even progress beyond the 1st quadrant through no fault of their own. Maybe rearranging some of the tiles on the selection grid would help with this.

zombie_homer wrote:

Can I clarify if the following rule applies to when I rolled doubles:
If you placed a tile formed from crossed off squares choose any square on the selection grid to cross off.

Yes, if you roll doubles and place the tile formed of crossed off squares you cross off a square of your choice on the selection grid. If you roll doubles and the square this selects doesn't have any other crossed off squares adjacent to it you place a single square onto the placement board.

zombie_homer wrote:

As the shapes on the Selection Grid are colored (randomly?), would it be possible to make use of them to add an element of scoring/ replayability?

For example, forming a hexomino with 4 yellow shapes or forming a hexomino with 3 or less 5-box shapes, etc... will provide either an in-game advantage (e.g. ability to re-roll/ manipulate a die) or bonus end game scoring.

This sounds like it could be really interesting, I'd definitely like to add some replayability and variability to the game and I think this would be a neat way of doing it. I especially like the idea of giving players an in-game advantage like re-rolling a die, placing a few single squares on the placement board, or crossing off another square on the selection grid.

I'll have to think about how to make goals which are challenging but attainable and easy to understand.

Thanks again for your comments and for playing! It's super helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi, Perry!

I had an opportunity to give the game a quick try today. Figured I'd pass along my initial thoughts. I only printed off a single copy, so take anything here with a grain of salt.

So I didn't do very well:

I collected my first hexomino without a great deal of extra space, and was only within striking distance of a second before I ran out of room. With just the two dice to roll, and no real means to change them, it seemed wishful thinking to get a third hexomino. Five of them seems difficult at best.

Packing the ones received into the grid was easy and fun, but it drifted closer to frustrating as I kept rolling numbers I'd had before. About halfway through the second (and final) quadrant, I felt like I really had no control anymore. (Rule confusion played a part here; see below.) And when space became tight, I knew there was no way that I could place any of the tiles I'd need to form a hexomino. Nearly filled in my half-grid (almost nice!) but, yowza, that's a real stinker of a score I've got.

I quite like the ability to place new shapes from squares you've crossed off. Probably would have gone even better had I noticed the "cross off any square you like" rule. It's under section 2 - I only just spotted it in the "Notes" afterward - but not under "Selecting an [sic] crossed off Square" in section 1. Which was the reference page I had beside me.

I stumbled into a few other rules hiccups, too, but I think you've already addressed those in the thread: when to place single squares, and when to cross off extra storage.

Placing weirdly-twisted six-space hexominoes as you move into the final quadrant seems like it could be a crazy kind of fun. Getting there seems to call for more luck than I think I've got. I'll try to give it another shot as I'm able. Maybe adding in that rule I missed will make all the difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. Scaling!

I went to print another copy, and you've got el zilcho for margins. Scaling it down to 95% works fine for me (on US letter paper), but you'll want to tweak that so anyone can print at full scale for US letter or A4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for taking the time to play and share your thoughts!

I can see how the rule about choosing which square to cross off wasn't clear from the rules document. I think I need to reformat the rules so that "Selecting an Uncrossed Square," "Selecting a Crossed off Square"and "Unable to Place" sections are more self contained, or maybe I can break them up into separate columns under each step.

I do think that forming the hexominoes becomes much more doable when you are free to choose what square to cross off when you select a square you've already crossed off. That being said the times I've played or watched others play it is always a bit close and might be too steep of a challenge. Players have been able to do it each time but usually at the cost of an extra storage space or just because they got lucky and rolled the one spot they needed to. Also the fact that failing to place a tile doesn't advance your progress towards forming hexominoes on the selection grid might be a problem, a player can get into a position where they won't be able to progress regardless of their choices.

bgarthwaite wrote:
Packing the ones received into the grid was easy and fun, but it drifted closer to frustrating as I kept rolling numbers I'd had before. About halfway through the second (and final) quadrant, I felt like I really had no control anymore.

I think this could be an issue even with the cross off rule. Towards the end of each quadrant the actual choices available to a player become very narrow, between the tiles you can choose maybe only one of them can actually be placed or maybe it can only be placed in one spot. In previous iterations of the game players chose from 3 dice they rolled or could gain the ability to reroll a die, or shift the value of a die up or down 1, I could bring one of those back. This sort of narrowing of options is something that I think most polyomino laying games have to confront so I'll also take a look at some of those and try to figure out how they deal with it.

Thanks again for your feedback I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
pkleinhe wrote:
In previous iterations of the game players chose from 3 dice they rolled or could gain the ability to reroll a die, or shift the value of a die up or down 1, I could bring one of those back.

My gut feeling is to go with 3 dice first. More control, but not so much as changing pip values. Easier on the brain, too, because the numbers are in front of you. Shifting your gaze back and forth between different spaces while mentally rotating the pieces could start to push players into making unintentional mistakes.

Had a chance to play again without botching the rules, and it went much more smoothly: 7 points! (At least it's a positive number this time.) I was able to nearly fill the first three quadrants, but could only barely squeeze in the fourth hexomino before reaching the end. My initial hexomino was oddly-shaped, which only compounded the issue as the game progressed. I was able to better shape the next ones, just not well enough to make it all work out in the end.

I felt like I had more control this time, at least for a while. Things really spiraled out in that third quadrant. In the end, I was still at the mercy of the dice, but the inevitability of that took longer to settle in. Still not sure I feel lucky enough to get a high score, but I do think I'm getting the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
bgarthwaite wrote:
My gut feeling is to go with 3 dice first. More control, but not so much as changing pip values. Easier on the brain, too, because the numbers are in front of you. Shifting your gaze back and forth between different spaces while mentally rotating the pieces could start to push players into making unintentional mistakes.

Had a chance to play again without botching the rules, and it went much more smoothly: 7 points! (At least it's a positive number this time.) I was able to nearly fill the first three quadrants, but could only barely squeeze in the fourth hexomino before reaching the end. My initial hexomino was oddly-shaped, which only compounded the issue as the game progressed. I was able to better shape the next ones, just not well enough to make it all work out in the end.

I felt like I had more control this time, at least for a while. Things really spiraled out in that third quadrant. In the end, I was still at the mercy of the dice, but the inevitability of that took longer to settle in. Still not sure I feel lucky enough to get a high score, but I do think I'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks again for taking the time to play the game and give me your feedback!

I just made some changes to the game that hopefully will address some of the issues that people have been having. The highlights

1) Changed board size to quadrants of 5x5s

2) Changed layout of selection grid and location of starting X-ed off squares. Eliminated 2 and 3 square shapes.

3) Changed rules on opening quadrants. Now you can open a quadrant at the end of your turn, when you open a quadrant you score points equal to the square of the number of hexominoes you have built.

4) After you form your 4th hexomino you get an extra die, from that point on you roll 3 dice and choose which 2 you want to use.

5) Also I added 1" margins, hopefully it works well for everyone's printer!

Some discussion on the changes:

1)I decreased the size of the board to make things more interesting earlier. The decreased size of quadrants means your first few placements matter more. I experimented with 4x4 quadrants before the start of the contest and found it was really difficult to actually place hexominoes in them at all which is why I didn't shrink the board even further. Maybe I'll revisit this though.

2) The desire to make things more interesting earlier was also behind eliminating the 2 and 3 square shapes as well as changing the layout of the selection grid so that now the crossed off squares all start in groups of 4. It wasn't fun or interesting to place the small shapes at the start of the game and by the time you'd want to place them towards the end they were all used up. I also like this rearrangement because I think it makes players build hexominoes earlier in the game and (hopefully) gives players more context/guidance on what square to choose to cross off.

3) Changing the restriction on opening quadrants into an incentive will give players a chance to actually finish the game while still incentivizing risk taking and giving players more control over the amount of risk they choose to accept. I'm not totally sure about the scoring being based only on the number of hexominoes you have built. I also tested scoring points equal to the sum of the $ value of the hexominoes a player had built, this made scores max out at around 200 and made the arithmetic at the end harder than I wanted it to be. It also ended up producing scores that were basically the same fraction of the maximum possible score. Finally I think counting the number of the hexominoes rather than how strangely shaped they are is nice because players are already awarded for the latter at the end of the game.

4) I want players to have choices available to them but based on past playtests starting the game with 3 dice and usually 6 shapes to choose from was too overwhelming for players at the start of the game. I think that giving players an extra die towards the end of the game when they more constraints and therefore have a firmer idea of what shapes they want to place should keep them from being overwhelmed. Getting the 3rd die could happen earlier or it could happen when a player opens a certain number of quadrants. I went with forming hexominoes for now because I think its a better indicator of how constrained a player will be. If players feel their choices are constrained earlier than this than I'd probably bump the extra die to being given after 3 hexominoes are built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Did some more playtesting some notes

1)Scoring points for opening quadrants based on number of hexominoes built has some issues. Players are reliably able to get 2 hexominoes built before opening the second quadrant but they're able to do so well in advance of running out of room in the first quadrant but without enough room left to have any chance of pushing to get 3 hexominoes built. This same pattern exists for the other quadrants. Basically there's no push-your-luck element, there's just a right time to open the next quadrant, its obvious when that is and there's no benefit to be gained by pushing beyond. Some thoughts I have to fix this are to just count the number of X-ed off squares on the selection grid, so each additional shape placed will always give you more points or to have players add up the point value of all hexominoes formed when they decide to open a quadrant.

2)Giving players an extra die later in the game gives players more control which is nice and the absolute number of choices they have isn't overwhelming, but there is still a challenge. Namely it is hard to look at 3 dice and easily identify the 6 squares on the selection grid that you are allowed to choose from. Also in spite of the greater freedom presented by the 3rd die there is still a lack of player control at the end of the game.

3) Some players feel that the number of pre-crossed squares is too constraining when trying to form hexominoes. Giving players control over this is really important but I also want the crossed off squares to always be interesting or difficult to place. Maybe the grid should start off slightly more open but players cross off 2 squares on the grid each time they place something on the board?

I'll think more about these issues and how to solve them. Any suggestions or commentary on these issues or other issues anyone has had playing would be really helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A few clarifying questions after my first play:

1. Am I allowed to continually select a Hexomino after I’ve created it from the selection grid? In my game I kept rolling 2 & 6 which lead to using a hexomino I created earlier.

2. Is the player allowed to open either the top right or bottom left quadrant first? I assume yes, but just clarifying.

3. If I cross out the last non-crossed out square in selection grid, I assume game is over then too, correct?

I hope I played by the rules and correctly. In the case of selecting a crossed off selection grid box, I just kept drawing the connections until it hit a non crossed off selection or a hexominoe circle group. I think an example in the rule book of “finding” the connections would be helpful.

I plan on playing again as the placing of the the pieces in the grid was enjoyable.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for checking out the game!
saugust wrote:

1. Am I allowed to continually select a Hexomino after I’ve created it from the selection grid? In my game I kept rolling 2 & 6 which lead to using a hexomino I created earlier.

Yes, you can.

saugust wrote:

2. Is the player allowed to open either the top right or bottom left quadrant first? I assume yes, but just clarifying.

Yup either order is good.
saugust wrote:

3. If I cross out the last non-crossed out square in selection grid, I assume game is over then too, correct?

This is a good question. With the rules as written the answer is no.

I'll have to think a bit more about if I should change this. Right now there's no guarantee that a player will cross off all the squares in the selection grid before the end of the game. If they do there should only be a few open spaces on the placement board so the game will basically be over.

saugust wrote:

In the case of selecting a crossed off selection grid box, I just kept drawing the connections until it hit a non crossed off selection or a hexominoe circle group. I think an example in the rule book of “finding” the connections would be helpful.

Based on this description and your picture of the game I think you played this correctly. I'll try to add an example to the rules that makes this process a little more clear. I'll also revisit the way two squares are defined to be connected in the rules and see if there's a phrasing that makes this more clear.

Thanks again for playing the game and thanks for your feedback it's really helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.