United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
Find me on the Pirates CSG VASSAL module
badge
It's a Pirates' Life for me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: How SATISFIED are you with your collection?
This is one of many thread topics I have "queued up" for future posting. Seeing that the forum has been a little quieter than usual the past week, feels like a good time for a fresh post. In this case, one I find somewhat fascinating.

Basic premise, but it would be interesting to see everyone who votes elaborate on their situation. From newbies to "crazy collectors", Miniature Trading always seems to have the whole spectrum covered.

I'll start with a brief overview. I've built up my collection over the years, from 49 ships in 2006 to well over 1,000 (including duplicates and some packs) nowadays.

Of course, I have a wants list with a lot of the harder-to-get stuff on it. However, I am incredibly satisfied with my collection: I voted for the 95% satisfied option. This is largely due to the VASSAL module, which completely eliminates the need for a physical collection. Just the database and the module, and you can play any and all ships, not to mention customs and even edit the module to add custom ship types and factions. Outside of Command the Oceans, I've hardly played any physical games since the start of 2017, and 3 of the 4 huge games I've played since 2016 have been on VASSAL. The virtual game has certainly not replaced the physical for me, but it's such a great option that it has led to me being more satisfied than ever before with my physical collection of Pirates stuff. I do have a solid collection, so that's part of it of course. That said, VASSAL is actually a weird way to save money on Pirates stuff and not spend hundreds or thousands of dollars if you don't want to or can't.

Alright, so as usual I seem to have turned this into an ad for the VASSAL module. :lol: Typical of me these days I suppose. :D But anyway, I'm satisfied because:
1. I have grown my collection gradually over the years.
2. I have grown my collection with a lot of great deals and therefore saved money and gotten the "acquisition experience" many times over. (rather than sitting on a small collection or getting everything all at once - nothing wrong with those, I just like infrequent but consistent purchases once/twice a year instead)
3. Playing on the VASSAL module has lessened my dependence and importance of my physical collection.

Ah, I could ramble about this all night. XD Let us know your thoughts! How satisfied (not complete) are you with your collection, and why?

PS: I can unlock any of the linked threads (or other ones) if you'd like to post in any of them.

~~~~~
Check out my fansite at Pirates with Ben!
How SATISFIED are you with your collection?
100% satisfied - I have everything I want!
99% satisfied - Just need a few more items
95% satisfied - Not complete, but happy with where I'm at
75% satisfied
50% satisfied
25% satisfied
10% satisfied - I need MORE!
0% satisfied (may have just started collecting, tiny collection, desperate for more)
      23 answers
Poll created by a7xfanben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have quite a lot of ships but have never really cared about completing a collection. I have played maybe twice in the last 8 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elTigreCHino wrote:
I have quite a lot of ships but have never really cared about completing a collection. I have played maybe twice in the last 8 years.

Yeah, fair point. Once you're in the hundreds, some of the rare and expensive stuff seems unnecessary.

If you ever do want to play more, I'm on the VASSAL module every month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a nice collection and was quite satisfied with it, then I moved and had to reduce clutter. That is unfortunately what it was at the time. I gave them to my cousin. That was two years ago.

Two weeks ago I ask him if he still has them and if we can play sometime, he just bought a house and had to reduce, guess what he threw out a month ago. Adult life happens. He at least kept one fleet.

So I started looking, found what I thought was a decent deal on eBay, and now I have a lot of packs. 36 each of Spanish Main, Revolution and Barbary Coast, plus a nice Crimson Coast collection. Hoping to get a lot of my favorites from what I used to have.

So I will come back after opening everything and answer your poll properly lol.

Excited to jump back into the game again. Maybe I’ll have to learn Vassal and lower sails with you sometime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played in a long time but my nephews and I are starting to come up with some game time - and they like this one for all the "normal" reasons (figures, cards, art work, story etc.)

I have waaaay more ships then I'll ever use, but I'd like to have the rare huge ones.

I had several and gave them each to different friends for their birthdays (a long time ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orionstars wrote:
I haven't played in a long time but my nephews and I are starting to come up with some game time - and they like this one for all the "normal" reasons (figures, cards, art work, story etc.)

I have waaaay more ships then I'll ever use, but I'd like to have the rare huge ones.

I had several and gave them each to different friends for their birthdays (a long time ago).

You could sell the ships you're not going to use to raise funds for the ones you want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Careful or I’ll use Firepots in my next post!

I think about selling some to raise funds but seem to not get past looking through them and change my mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After everything is open I can say that I am 99% satisfied with what I got.

Some of my favorite ships returned to sail with me again and I am very happy about that, plus some new great ships I am now happy to own, plus a host of neat unique and generic crew. This time around I won’t have to house rule universal generic crew!

A few Barbary Corsairs that I hoped to re-attain are missing (like the Nubian Prince) but we will keep our eyes open and see what we find.
EDIT: Scratch that, Nubian Prince found in a 10 ship Corsair lot that was only $15. Plus a few others I did not get. Corsair fleet coming!

Onto the fun parts: Fleet building and maybe actually playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Ridinger
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, I'd say I'm rather satisfied with my collection (it is rather large) The negatives, besides all the space it takes up, is that there are a few sets I barely have anything from and the fact I never got the one card I needed to complete the Celtic Fury Model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.