Dino Race» Forums » Rules

Subject: The egg: advantage or disadvantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Melosi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
I honestly can't interpret clearly the function and purpose of the egg.

If you have the egg, the "Throw the egg" card impose to pass it to an opponent (the author himself, in an interview. describes the egg as the "hot potato" of the game)... but why should I pass someone else the egg if it allows me to win the game?

Thanks in advance to those who can give clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fmelosi wrote:
I honestly can't interpret clearly the function and purpose of the egg.

If you have the egg, the "Throw the egg" card impose to pass it to an opponent (the author himself, in an interview. describes the egg as the "hot potato" of the game)... but why should I pass someone else the egg if it allows me to win the game?

Thanks in advance to those who can give clarifications.

It is worth bonus points if you are carrying it when your second dinosaur crosses the line, so it is good to be holding it late in the game.

Early in the game, it is a liability because if someone rolls the volcano on the event die, you lose your whole hand of cards and you get a fire token which loses you points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Melosi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Thank you James :)

Yes, after all I agree, and I admit that I forgot that rules' passage ("The player who owns the egg must discard all the cards from his hand and take one lava drop. Then, he must pass the egg to another player of his choice", when the volcano erupts).

But, let's be honest: due to a "bad" design of the event die, the incidence with which the volcano erupts is so low that the egg is more an advantage than a disadvantage, along the whole course of a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fmelosi wrote:

But, let's be honest: due to a "bad" design of the event die, the incidence with which the volcano erupts is so low that the egg is more an advantage than a disadvantage, along the whole course of a match.

It’s a 1 in 6 chance per player’s turn. It’s pretty unlikely that you’ll make it through a whole game without any eruptions. We’ve probably played 10 or 12 games. We’ve had between 2 and maybe 10 eruptions in each game, but typically 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played out most Lava packed game ever!

We were close to every dino being dumped off the board at the se time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybirdman wrote:
We just played out most Lava packed game ever!

We were close to every dino being dumped off the board at the se time.

Most likely to happen at a player count of 4 if it is going to happen at all! How fun/tense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.