10 Posts

Kingsburg (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Why is Kingsburg so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been interested in this game and from what I know it basically consists of the main board, individual player sheets and dice for everyone.

The price however seems to hover at $50+ USD and I never see it on sale. The most expensive part to me will be the dice, but it doesn't have Roll for the Galaxy amount of dice (And you can get roll for under $40 discounted)

Was Kingsburg always sold at this price point (Even 1st edition?). This seems more of a $30 price range game unless I'm missing something. Can someone enlighten me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keratin175 wrote:
The most expensive part to me will be the dice

There aren't all that many dice, really. There are lots of chits and pieces--enough to cover the original base game and an expansion. A few different types of cards, too.

Also, it's published by Asmodee, which enforces mandatory minimum pricing for retailers. As such, it's hard to find Asmodee games ever on a good sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny K.
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
keratin175 wrote:
I've always been interested in this game and from what I know it basically consists of the main board, individual player sheets and dice for everyone.

The price however seems to hover at $50+ USD and I never see it on sale. The most expensive part to me will be the dice, but it doesn't have Roll for the Galaxy amount of dice (And you can get roll for under $40 discounted)

Was Kingsburg always sold at this price point (Even 1st edition?). This seems more of a $30 price range game unless I'm missing something. Can someone enlighten me?

I agree with you that while I enjoy the game, I've always felt the price point was a bit too high. It's a fun game to be sure, but when you compare it with other offerings at the same price point it feels a bit lacking. I feel like it should be priced more around the same as Castles of Burgundy, albeit, I do find it more fun.

Kayvon wrote:
There are lots of chits and pieces--enough to cover the original base game and an expansion.

Does the second edition include an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Bistrica pri Tržiču
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keratin175 wrote:

50$ is normal price for games in Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same thoughts, but itleast 2nd comes with the expansions, so there is that. My problem is I have kingsport festival, which ive necer gotten to the table, and I've heard its just as good, if not better, then 1st. So...why pay $50+ for a game I essentially own and have never gotten to the table. At $30 or less I'm sure I would have pulled the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny K.
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tadej1986 wrote:

Define the normal price. Surely you're not saying that all games in Europe cost 50$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Kehoe
United Kingdom
St Clement
Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it contains expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
keratin175 wrote:
The most expensive part to me will be the dice

There aren't all that many dice, really. There are lots of chits and pieces--enough to cover the original base game and an expansion. A few different types of cards, too.

Also, it's published by Asmodee, which enforces mandatory minimum pricing for retailers. As such, it's hard to find Asmodee games ever on a good sale.

Anyway, it's worth EVERY cent. It's packed with stuff and includes not one, but SIX expansion modules. Plus, it was COMPLETELY redesigned (layout and graphics, including custom dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's listed at $44 right now. I'd get it if I didn't already have the first edition. But... not worth it just to get an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian van Loenen
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDocAWESOME wrote:
tadej1986 wrote:

Define the normal price. Surely you're not saying that all games in Europe cost 50$.

Most games are expensive in EU. For example this Kingsburg would cost 60 euro (=70$) in europe. This is the same price as for example Eldritch horror base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.