Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joyce W.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago I ran across 3-D printing specifications for a Magnate taxation die (D6 with the Decktet suits on the faces) at Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:786157

My husband and I printed it (scaled up 25% to 2cm on a side, as the designer recommended) at a nearby public library with a MakerBot. They charge $2 per hour of print-time, and this cost about $1-- we had two small projects to print, and the total cost was $2. The taxation die is mostly hollow, with some criss-crossing interior walls (we could see this during the printing process). It's quite light in weight, like just a couple of grams or so.

Recently we used it in a game, and Wyrms seemed to come up an awful lot, which made us wonder how fair the die was. So, I did a little reading, spent about an hour rolling the die, and after some calculations, I've concluded that the die is fair enough. Here is the raw data, and the page that walked me through the calculations, so you can do your own if you want to:

Out of 600 total rolls (into an all-wood cigar box)

Moons: 89
Suns: 110
Waves: 103
Leaves: 90
Wyrms: 110
Knots: 98

Discussion of statistically checking die fairness (there are lots of other pages that discuss this too):

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/70802/how-can-i-test...

The chi squared value I came up with: 4.34. Unfortunately, my statistical understanding is too poor to thoroughly explain what this means, but it's not a value that indicates the die is biased. It's well within the range of values that you would get with a fair die. Is the die fair? Well, it's hard to be certain. That's why my conclusion is that the die is fair enough.

I'm sure all prints of the die would come out slightly different from each other, but I hope this could help someone decide whether to print one of these dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.