5 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » Rules

Subject: QIC for Bal T'ak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malte Wehrheim
Germany
flag msg tools
Do the Bal Tal Start with a QIC before round one?
I have often see people claim to get 3 technologies in the first round. However they use a QIC as ore in the process of building an academy or two Rl and only get 3 with the racial ability and another one as their first tech tile.
I know you can accomplish the building without conversion in some circumstances that is not the point here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
They shouldn't. Their first gaiaformer is the substitute for the base QIC for them.

Another easily missed one is the Gleens, who also don't start with an additional "QIC" (ore) except for the one from nav 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Wehrheim
Germany
flag msg tools
Yeah, I thought so too. There might be some confusion about it though. Definitely makes a three tech tile start more difficult since you can't use conversion of QIC while building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Bal T'aks yet, but I assume that reaching 4 power to get a fifth QIC shouldn't be a problem with leeching, the 3pw income from steps 2>3 in the Gaiaforming track and potentially the 4pw tech tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
the best way of doing it is probably with the qic/2c round booster, grabbing the 1o/1 qic tech tile and going up gaiaforming with a research lab, spending 4 qic to get up to level 4 of gaiaforming, then trading in the last gaiaformer and getting the 2o power action to afford the academy. Potentially strong start but it requires several things to go your way, and can fairly easily be blocked by another player.

On second thought you can perform it more consistently by going up the terraforming track with the 4 qic action (since you can grab the last ore as a free power action without being blocked), but that has its own share of upsides/downsides
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.