Popular Tags: Insightful [+] [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a random question but in the last 2 years (since I started klonopin/clonazapam for panic disorder) I haven't really played board games. I used to order 3-5 a month and read the rulebooks the day I received the games and play them 3-5 times each that month. I could read ~100 page of rules in a day easily.

Fast forward two years and I think I have ~30 games I haven't played from Kickstarters. I've played maybe... five board games in the last 2 years. Before that it was every single day that I'd play. And I mean five games... once. So pretty much no board gaming for me.

Through these 2 years the only constant medication I've been on is klonopin 1mg - I tried like every antidepressant and other things for random conditions I won't bore you with but klonopin is the only constant and the only one I've stayed on.

Anyone else notice a severe lack of interest in gaming after starting a medication regime or simply starting a benzo (klonopin, xanax, valium, etc.)? I'm planning on tapering off slowly because I don't like the fact that it's nearly impossible for anything to hold my interest nowadays, especially something I loved such as board games (not to mention video games and reading are also very difficult now; I feel like my IQ dropped by 30 points since taking this stuff).

Sometimes I wonder if my interest's have just changed and/or I'm out of practice. I spent like 2 weeks trying to get the Nemo's War rules down (hated that game) when before I learned Mage Knight in a day. Today I forced myself to read Hoplomachus: Rise of Rome and played that and can tell it's my kind of game... IDK if I enjoyed the time really though. Which is quite frustrating. It's like the level needed for something to pique my interest has soared when before I could literally just play a board game (even a bad one) for 6 hours and be totally entertained doing so.

I'm personally very curious if anyone else has had this result with this particular hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Kind of a random question but in the last 2 years (since I started klonopin/clonazapam for panic disorder) I haven't really played board games. I used to order 3-5 a month and read the rulebooks the day I received the games and play them 3-5 times each that month. I could read ~100 page of rules in a day easily.

Fast forward two years and I think I have ~30 games I haven't played from Kickstarters. I've played maybe... five board games in the last 2 years. Before that it was every single day that I'd play. And I mean five games... once. So pretty much no board gaming for me.

Through these 2 years the only constant medication I've been on is klonopin 1mg - I tried like every antidepressant and other things for random conditions I won't bore you with but klonopin is the only constant and the only one I've stayed on.

Anyone else notice a severe lack of interest in gaming after starting a medication regime or simply starting a benzo (klonopin, xanax, valium, etc.)? I'm planning on tapering off slowly because I don't like the fact that it's nearly impossible for anything to hold my interest nowadays, especially something I loved such as board games (not to mention video games and reading are also very difficult now; I feel like my IQ dropped by 30 points since taking this stuff).

Sometimes I wonder if my interest's have just changed and/or I'm out of practice. I spent like 2 weeks trying to get the Nemo's War rules down (hated that game) when before I learned Mage Knight in a day. Today I forced myself to read Hoplomachus: Rise of Rome and played that and can tell it's my kind of game... IDK if I enjoyed the time really though. Which is quite frustrating. It's like the level needed for something to pique my interest has soared when before I could literally just play a board game (even a bad one) for 6 hours and be totally entertained doing so.

Two things:

1) It's possible that you were using games as a soothing behavior for depression symptoms. Analogous to self-medication.
Now that that's out of the way...

2) If you're having sluggish thoughts as a result of your medication, tell your doctor/psychiatrist. Tell them exactly what you just told us. Just show them the thread if it's easier. Is this the first medication you've tried for panic disorder?

Be clear that this not only interferes w/ your ability to play a board game, but also interferes with your daily life, ability to concentrate at and/or find work, and so forth. (Assuming that's true, mind you!)

I'm not sure that a med change is a good idea for you -- I have no idea what severity of symptoms you're averting with your current dosage, etc., -- but it's worth talking about with your provider.

G'luck mate!

Note: Though I have a psychologist microbadge, I am not clinically trained, please take what I say with A HUGE grain of salt!! (I do human factors, not this stuff.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it would be best to discuss this with the Dr who is prescribing the medication. Loss of interest may be a known side effect; or maybe not.

EDIT: I was ninja'd by James. What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said.

Best to talk to your doc before deciding to discontinue yor meds. If you don't feel comfortable with that, perhaps find a different doc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:

Two things:

1) It's possible that you were using games as a soothing behavior for depression symptoms. Analogous to self-medication.

2) If you're having sluggish thoughts as a result of your medication, tell your doctor/psychiatrist. Tell them exactly what you just told us. Just show them the thread if it's easier. Is this the first medication you've tried for panic disorder?

Be clear that this not only interferes w/ your ability to play a board game, but also interferes with your daily life, ability to concentrate at and/or find work, and so forth. (Assuming that's true, mind you!)

I'm not sure that a med change is a good idea for you -- I have no idea what severity of symptoms you're averting with your current dosage, etc., -- but it's worth talking about with your provider.

G'luck mate!

Note: Though I have a psychologist microbadge, I am not clinically trained, please take what I say with A HUGE grain of salt!! (I do human factors, not this stuff.)

I'm sure they helped lol. I was diagnosed as 10 different things and saw 10 different psychiatrists who all gave me 10 different meds. Nothing helped and everything made everything worse. I just got "stuck" on the klonopin since you can't quite just "quit it" and it did help with panic but that's it. I've tried over.... 30 medications in the last 2 years? I typically just felt like a human guinea pig with constant black outs on certain meds and all kinds of crazy symptoms. Now that I'm "clean" again, minus the one thing, I feel normal again, but I guess remembering "normal" is kind of hard, if that makes any sense. I do think if I quit klonopin that my panic disorder IS probably "gone" or at least not nearly as bad as it once was.

I'm personally very curious if anyone else has had this result with this particular hobby.

lucky henry wrote:
Perhaps it would be best to discuss this with the Dr who is prescribing the medication. Loss of interest may be a known side effect; or maybe not.

I know they can cause depression / loss of interest, but I already have/had that lol. I tried a full anti-depression regime, got diagnosed as being bipolar, got UNDIAGNOSED, the list goes on. I don't think these guys really have a clue what they're doing. I do discuss everything with my psychiatrist but he's (they) as clueless as I am with the treatment my particular set of problems. Like before I started klonopin I had just finished my masters degree... if I tried to take a grad class right now I'd stare at the screen drooling I think.

Bottom line I guess is that my focus and interest level has become so affected that it has ruined my enjoyment of this hobby... I think. Sorry if this is the wrong forum/place for this topic, didn't know if it'd be better in the off topic forum on here, but I've talked about all this to my doctor(s) before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:

I am also a depression sufferer and went through a lot of different medication over the years. Much like yourself, it was try-and-see. Some had minimal side-effects but wasn't making any difference, other was effective but intollerable new symptoms. Currently I am on non-effective one...

To answer your question: Yes I did lose interest in my hobbies during the low periods. This occurs for me either from depression (On non-effective medication) or from the side effects. I don't remember which particular medication was doing it, but I remember feeling fine, but could not focus nor concentrate too long. It was very scary while driving and resulted in a few near-hits. So I was put on a different one. There were several others we tried that also resulted in me losing any passion for anything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotana wrote:
79strat wrote:

I am also a depression sufferer and went through a lot of different medication over the years. Much like yourself, it was try-and-see. Some had minimal side-effects but wasn't making any difference, other was effective but intollerable new symptoms. Currently I am on non-effective one...

To answer your question: Yes I did lose interest in my hobbies during the low periods. This occurs for me either from depression (On non-effective medication) or from the side effects. I don't remember which particular medication was doing it, but I remember feeling fine, but could not focus nor concentrate too long. It was very scary while driving and resulted in a few near-hits. So I was put on a different one. There were several others we tried that also resulted in me losing any passion for anything...

Thanks for your response I never found anything effective personally. A few I thought were working but in reality it was just at the time I was taking them things were 'better' in my life and it was those things that made me feel well not the medication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:

I’ve been taking some psych meds for PTSD/anxiety caused by years of hardcore pain from Crohns. Etizolam and Cymbalta.

Basically it’s helped my gaming a lot. I’m calmer and more systematic, and can concentrate for longer.

However there was one time when I started trying different things to find what worked, and I was on too many downers and realized I was over-medicated precisely because I couldn’t focus on work, gaming, or anything intellectually demanding. I tried reducing my meds - literally cut one pill in half I think - and when I felt better went to the doc to talk about that. I ended up changing to what I take now. It took quite a few tries to find something that helped without making me lose my edge - I understand exactly what you mean about feeling dumber.

So I’m worried you’re being overmedicated, and certainly I hope your doctor considers this lack of focus as significant - even if it can’t be helped for now, it’s not something that should be ignored just because it’s a hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:

Two things:

G'luck mate!

This is really great advice. I have needed to write stuff down for docs, because sometimes it’s just really hard to say what I want.

And just showing what you’ve written here should be enough to make a doctor take note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
79strat wrote:

I’ve been taking some psych meds for PTSD/anxiety caused by years of hardcore pain from Crohns. Etizolam and Cymbalta.

Basically it’s helped my gaming a lot. I’m calmer and more systematic, and can concentrate for longer.

However there was one time when I started trying different things to find what worked, and I was on too many downers and realized I was over-medicated precisely because I couldn’t focus on work, gaming, or anything intellectually demanding. I tried reducing my meds - literally cut one pill in half I think - and when I felt better went to the doc to talk about that. I ended up changing to what I take now. It took quite a few tries to find something that helped without making me lose my edge - I understand exactly what you mean about feeling dumber.

So I’m worried you’re being overmedicated, and certainly I hope your doctor considers this lack of focus as significant - even if it can’t be helped for now, it’s not something that should be ignored just because it’s a hobby.

That's very interesting that etizolam helped you in that regard. I took Seroquel (sorta like Cymbalta) which just made me sleep 18 hours a day. I was on 5-6 meds at once and at my request I quit everything (except Klonopin). I was having blackouts randomly and hit a car and didn't even know it happened once I got home even after the accident report and all that stuff. Weird times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just board games that you've lost interest in or have you disconnected from other areas of your life? With the amount of gaming you were doing you might have just burned out. If it were me (and I know its not but I'm the only person whose thoughts I know) and my consumption of boardgames was the only one of my interests that changed, I would think that I've just changed interests and go on to do the things I enjoy now instead of trying to force myself to enjoy something I enjoyed in the past. In time you may come back to the hobby or not that's OK.
On the other hand if I found that I was no longer interested in several things that I liked before starting meds I would talk to my Dr. about it and see what he can do. I definitely wouldn't alter my meds without consulting my Dr. It's more important that you're healthy than a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EricT wrote:
Is it just board games that you've lost interest in or have you disconnected from other areas of your life? With the amount of gaming you were doing you might have just burned out. If it were me (and I know its not but I'm the only person whose thoughts I know) and my consumption of boardgames was the only one of my interests that changed, I would think that I've just changed interests and go on to do the things I enjoy now instead of trying to force myself to enjoy something I enjoyed in the past. In time you may come back to the hobby or not that's OK.
On the other hand if I found that I was no longer interested in several things that I liked before starting meds I would talk to my Dr. about it and see what he can do. I definitely wouldn't alter my meds without consulting my Dr. It's more important that you're healthy than a gamer.

Pretty much most things but board games especially. I've been in a back and forth with doctors for quite awhile now Thanks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
poshniallo wrote:
79strat wrote:

That's very interesting that etizolam helped you in that regard. I took Seroquel (sorta like Cymbalta) which just made me sleep 18 hours a day. I was on 5-6 meds at once and at my request I quit everything (except Klonopin). I was having blackouts randomly and hit a car and didn't even know it happened once I got home even after the accident report and all that stuff. Weird times.

I think it’s just the right meds in the right amount. It helps that I’m a medical translator so I can have a fairly good conversation with docs about these things.

Your docs sound way too trigger happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
79strat wrote:
poshniallo wrote:
79strat wrote:

I think it’s just the right meds in the right amount. It helps that I’m a medical translator so I can have a fairly good conversation with docs about these things.

Your docs sound way too trigger happy.

VA Doctors god help me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:

Two things:

G'luck mate!

I'm sure they helped lol. I was diagnosed as 10 different things and saw 10 different psychiatrists who all gave me 10 different meds. Nothing helped and everything made everything worse. I just got "stuck" on the klonopin since you can't quite just "quit it" and it did help with panic but that's it. I've tried over.... 30 medications in the last 2 years? I typically just felt like a human guinea pig with constant black outs on certain meds and all kinds of crazy symptoms. Now that I'm "clean" again, minus the one thing, I feel normal again, but I guess remembering "normal" is kind of hard, if that makes any sense. I do think if I quit klonopin that my panic disorder IS probably "gone" or at least not nearly as bad as it once was.

lucky henry wrote:

I know they can cause depression / loss of interest, but I already have/had that lol. I tried a full anti-depression regime, got diagnosed as being bipolar, got UNDIAGNOSED, the list goes on. I don't think these guys really have a clue what they're doing. I do discuss everything with my psychiatrist but he's (they) as clueless as I am with the treatment my particular set of problems. Like before I started klonopin I had just finished my masters degree... if I tried to take a grad class right now I'd stare at the screen drooling I think.

Bottom line I guess is that my focus and interest level has become so affected that it has ruined my enjoyment of this hobby... I think. Sorry if this is the wrong forum/place for this topic, didn't know if it'd be better in the off topic forum on here, but I've talked about all this to my doctor(s) before.

This is a fine forum for this, nothing to worry about!

I wish I had a better answer for you, but yeah, psychiatric treatment has quite a bit of a grasping-in-the-dark aspect to it. Treatment and even diagnosis are a bit of an art.

If you think your panic d/o is under control without meds, talk to your doc about trying to wean yourself off the med. Try that before going cold turkey, they may also have you try a lower dose to work down to nada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
EricT wrote:

Pretty much most things but board games especially. I've been in a back and forth with doctors for quite awhile now Thanks though.

Yeah, anhedonia is pretty grim; under some circumstances that's considerably worse than the symptoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:
EricT wrote:

Yeah, anhedonia is pretty grim; under some circumstances that's considerably worse than the symptoms.

Well at least I learned a new word today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:

Two things:

G'luck mate!

lucky henry wrote:

I wish I had a better answer for you, but yeah, psychiatric treatment has quite a bit of a grasping-in-the-dark aspect to it. Treatment and even diagnosis are a bit of an art.

If you think your panic d/o is under control without meds, talk to your doc about trying to wean yourself off the med. Try that before going cold turkey, they may also have you try a lower dose to work down to nada.

Thanks, that's the plan. I know I can't quit this one cold turkey. They were having me quit all the SSRIs cold turkey. Only one that bit me was Zoloft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am about as far from being an expert on this as one could be, but just tossing my 2 cents in.

There could be a very solid link between the medication and the interest level.
-OR-
There could be nothing more than coincidence and burnout of a hobby.

About 10-12 years ago I got into brewing beer. Into it meaning it was about all I thought about. Got beer making magazines (yes they have those), was on beer making forums every few hours, but even more got into making the labels, actually taking bottle caps to office Max to see if I could find the right sized labels for the tops of the caps, would check out any beer store within 45 minutes of the house. I was WAY into it was my point. From the types of beer to the equipment to best types of labels etc.

Fast forward to today..? I have not brewed beer for 2 + years. Just kind of moved onto something else

Same with Poker (which is not that far of a leap from board games but still). Before the beer phase I was pretty much into poker. watching poker, getting every poker book I could, trying to play as much as I could. Knew all the poker stars, watched all the poker shows. Today? I still like it, but not to the degree I did before.

Anyway, not trying to tell my life story, just saying while there may be a very clear link, before you worry too much there also may not be anything more than just changing interest levels.

I still love poker, still would like to brew again, but it isn't nearly the interest I once had is my point. Just be careful assuming it MUST be that (not saying you are doing that, just a comment...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:
Terwox wrote:
79strat wrote:

Two things:

G'luck mate!

lucky henry wrote:

Thanks, that's the plan. I know I can't quit this one cold turkey. They were having me quit all the SSRIs cold turkey. Only one that bit me was Zoloft.

SSRIs and SNRIs are particularly bad cold turkey. Weirder than benzos, potentially. And over-medication going to no medication (if that's what's happening) is not a good cycle to spin through. So I'm glad you're considering tapering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the many diagnoses, more or less around the problem, and not enough adequate solutions: enough times the base state is of Autism spectrum / Asperger. I don't know if 79strat has it definitely, maybe or definitely not, but has the doctor(s) tried to evaluate for it? Has he/she enough experience with adult Au/As and its consequences?

If it is so, sometimes Au/As may mimic 'bipolar' by giving strong fatigue/avoidance to overwhelming social situations and possibly strong, euphoric activation by own Special interests, alternating by the alternation of external situations - so mainly an environmental vulnerability. Board gaming may be such a special interest, or pride in one's academic capacity (before being brought down sharply by workplace politics etc).

On panic: is it the long term 'panic disorder' with attacks coming repeately and randomly, or situation specific triggered attacks? I do rarely take a low dose of a medium-duration benzo (lorazepam or bromazepam) in advance of a known triggering situation, but found the strict need decreased with time as I've accustomed to cope partially.

On benzos: in general I consider them a 'low pass filter' (in the electronic sense) - the change in their use has their main effect: definite soothing when starting, problems aggravating at withdrawal.
I don't have experience with a long term benzo blanket (and yes, clonazepam may be more adequate for that due to its long half life) but some people found 'tolerance withdrawal' re-generating the same problem even if continuing to take the same blanket dose.

And yes, clonazepam felt to me the most fatiguing/depressing benzo.

An alternative recommended to me recently for anxiety/panic may be Buspirone. It is effective in a sense, but feels really weird, like deliberately inducing dissociation - which may be useful, depending on the external situation.

Not talking about other medication classes - the antiepileptics/so-called 'stabilizers' if not really useful, and neuroleptics which some people consider evil. They may be needed in a 'police' sense for the protection of others instead, if the person's behavior becomes risky.

For the said anhedonia, some doctors know to use a really LOW dose of the atypical neuroleptic Amisulpride (12.5-25 mg) having a paradoxical, pro-dopaminic effect.

Or maybe small doses of an activating antidepressant like Bupropion. (Or is it a gentle stimulant, really?) It does give mild fatigue/anhedonia again on stopping, though.

My experiences with straight SSRI's have been of insignificant effects, and of SNRI venlafaxine feeling weird and not really useful.

Never tried illegals to compare with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ROMagister wrote:
On the many diagnoses, more or less around the problem, and not enough adequate solutions: enough times the base state is of Autism spectrum / Asperger. I don't know if 79strat has it definitely, maybe or definitely not, but has the doctor(s) tried to evaluate for it? Has he/she enough experience with adult Au/As and its consequences?

If it is so, sometimes Au/As may mimic 'bipolar' by giving strong fatigue/avoidance to overwhelming social situations and possibly strong, euphoric activation by own Special interests, alternating by the alternation of external situations - so mainly an environmental vulnerability. Board gaming may be such a special interest, or pride in one's academic capacity (before being brought down sharply by workplace politics etc).

On panic: is it the long term 'panic disorder' with attacks coming repeately and randomly, or situation specific triggered attacks? I do rarely take a low dose of a medium-duration benzo (lorazepam or bromazepam) in advance of a known triggering situation, but found the strict need decreased with time as I've accustomed to cope partially.

On benzos: in general I consider them a 'low pass filter' (in the electronic sense) - the change in their use has their main effect: definite soothing when starting, problems aggravating at withdrawal.
I don't have experience with a long term benzo blanket (and yes, clonazepam may be more adequate for that due to its long half life) but some people found 'tolerance withdrawal' re-generating the same problem even if continuing to take the same blanket dose.

And yes, clonazepam felt to me the most fatiguing/depressing benzo.

An alternative recommended to me recently for anxiety/panic may be Buspirone. It is effective in a sense, but feels really weird, like deliberately inducing dissociation - which may be useful, depending on the external situation.

Not talking about other medication classes - the antiepileptics/so-called 'stabilizers' if not really useful, and neuroleptics which some people consider evil. They may be needed in a 'police' sense for the protection of others instead, if the person's behavior becomes risky.

For the said anhedonia, some doctors know to use a really LOW dose of the atypical neuroleptic Amisulpride (12.5-25 mg) having a paradoxical, pro-dopaminic effect.

Or maybe small doses of an activating antidepressant like Bupropion. (Or is it a gentle stimulant, really?) It does give mild fatigue/anhedonia again on stopping, though.

My experiences with straight SSRI's have been of insignificant effects, and of SNRI venlafaxine feeling weird and not really useful.

Never tried illegals to compare with.

My problems include "undiagnosably bad OCD" (literal phrasing), major depression, anxiety, and panic disorder. I don't have any social phobias or anxiety. Definitely not on the asperger/autism spectrum. I was always an introvert until I started klonopin which made me a super extrovert I guess - or maybe just maturing/getting older opened me up. I don't remember the last time I felt euphoric about anything. I was using, not addicted (I feel like that's an important distinction...), to cocaine for several months and never felt any euphoria even using that. Seems that part of my brain doesn't work (the feeling "good" part).

I am very aware and familiar with panic and anxiety attacks. The panic attacks started out of nowhere. Like impending feeling of doom sensations, pulse above 200, etc. Anxiety attacks are something I've had much longer, and usually result from OCD-fascinations gone awry. I am also familiar with low pass filters as I did antenna/satellite maintenance for 4 years lol. I've been on the same dose more or less since I started, I actually was at 2mg for like 6 months and cut it down to 1mg because it didn't make anything "better". I've never felt the urge to take more which is rare.

They tried giving me effexor (venflafaxine) but after I quit Zoloft and went through those terrible w/d's I said hell no because effexor is known as having some of the worst w/d's antidepressants have to offer. I was not interested in being "hooked" on two different prescriptions, so here I am just with klonopin, which I do plan to taper. Thanks for your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:

SSRIs and SNRIs are particularly bad cold turkey. Weirder than benzos, potentially. And over-medication going to no medication (if that's what's happening) is not a good cycle to spin through. So I'm glad you're considering tapering.

The only one that gave me w/d's was Zoloft and I was barely on it a month. I took a recreational benzo (a research chemical I ordered online) when I was in college for like a week; very, very heavy doses, and I remember I w/d'd for over 2 weeks and basically couldn't move, upon quitting cold turkey. Hell on earth. That was dumb and I don't plan on doing that now/again with my prescribed klonopin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Krubby wrote:
I am about as far from being an expert on this as one could be, but just tossing my 2 cents in.

There could be a very solid link between the medication and the interest level.
-OR-
There could be nothing more than coincidence and burnout of a hobby.

About 10-12 years ago I got into brewing beer. Into it meaning it was about all I thought about. Got beer making magazines (yes they have those), was on beer making forums every few hours, but even more got into making the labels, actually taking bottle caps to office Max to see if I could find the right sized labels for the tops of the caps, would check out any beer store within 45 minutes of the house. I was WAY into it was my point. From the types of beer to the equipment to best types of labels etc.

Fast forward to today..? I have not brewed beer for 2 + years. Just kind of moved onto something else

Same with Poker (which is not that far of a leap from board games but still). Before the beer phase I was pretty much into poker. watching poker, getting every poker book I could, trying to play as much as I could. Knew all the poker stars, watched all the poker shows. Today? I still like it, but not to the degree I did before.

Anyway, not trying to tell my life story, just saying while there may be a very clear link, before you worry too much there also may not be anything more than just changing interest levels.

I still love poker, still would like to brew again, but it isn't nearly the interest I once had is my point. Just be careful assuming it MUST be that (not saying you are doing that, just a comment...)

You may be right. I've always danced between hobbies at a rate much quicker than you I think. The only constants being paintball, music, and video games (as I think I mentioned). I hope I'm not burned out on board games. I do know I'm not "myself" - I mean I had to read the rulebook to some simple like 2.0 weight games 10-20 times to understand them. Before I could almost just set it up and play on the spot, like I learned Magic Realm FFS lol. So the medication has definitely made me... dumber. For lack of a better word. My dad's brewed beer for... 30 years. I don't drink beer though I just drink bud light

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
Though I worked in a psychiatric hospital, I have zero medical training. My work was in counseling and transitions. Completing any task while feeling unwell is difficult. I would just like to congratulate you on finishing your masters degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.