Jason Barchak
United States
Carl Junction
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s cool to see the Free Folk and Night’s Watch factions being announced but it’s not the faction that excites me. I can’t wait to see Daenerys Targaryen with her Unsullied, Dothraki cavalry, Second Sons, awesome named characters like Jorah Mormont, Sir Barris, Grey Worm, and something else I can’t remember...oh yeah, DRAGONS!!!

I am worried that this faction may not be released for awhile since in the books the Targaryen faction have not returned to Westeros.

Thoughts about this or other factions you want to see released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im sure that is the faction most people are excited about, which means yes, you won't probably see it for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Weisman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I'd love to see Stormlanders and Vale factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the next two factions will be Baratheon (Stannis) and Tyrell (Renly). Seems appropriate to have the two brothers come out at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that they are coming out with a Wilding/Free Folk army. I wish they had some mammoths, and Wargs with animals included in the faction.

Since we know we are getting Free Folk, we definitely need a White Walkers (Others) faction too. Lots of undead, Others leading the army, undead creatures such as bears, mammoths, etc.

Other than that I want to see Deanarys with dragons, Unsullied, Dothraki riders, and sell swords in her army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I not waiting for my favorite houses to show up started making my Baratheon army and the vale next .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here the units for Baratheon hope the designers are listening

history shows that there horsemen were their strength
so along with standard units and bow men these are the special units I making.
hoblars skirmish housemen not had hitting and weak on defense but has these tactics they can charge and then do a full retreat move.

if they flank they can chose the option of forcing the unit they are attacking to change their facing to face them if they are not engaged

storm rider's heavily armored stormland knights
they have the tactic of wedge charge were they continue through and past the unit leaving them Vulnerable, and the calvery past their reach

unit of war hammers heavy hitters -1 to armor save if lead by young Robert gain d3 hits

tactic hold the line reroll armor saves and moral test

the red priestess

look into the flames after all have deployed can enter 2 units on ajacent sides

sacrifice to the Lord of light remove one leader gain +1 on all attack rolls this turn for all units

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rupes
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue the top two factions people are going to want and preorder left to be announced/designed:

1) Targaryeon with dragons
2) Night King

There are lots of issues with adding dragons to the game as their overall power level will likely necessitate alternate game modes. I'm guessing we will get a dragon "miniature" (or three) that will be used only in some kind of epic-style play. Regardless, they aren't coming soon. The first release being Stark vs Lannister (with Boltons) makes sense as it has both high narrative value and thematic engagement. However, it lacks a bit in fantastical elements, so CMON moved towards free folk. I'm not sure if we are getting a mammoth, but even just giants and wargs is a good starting point. To match the Free Folk, the Night's Watch is necessary (plus Jon can sell an entire faction). CMON is introducing siege equipment to keep the NW unique and interesting outside of just one attachment/commander/ncu. So what's next... I would expect a trend back towards classical factions, and the Baratheons are really missing from the battlefield considering their importance. I don't think the Tyrells are interesting enough to be paired with Baratheons, so I would guess we get another single-faction box. Then, I would suspect CMON to follow this up with something different and flavorful, possibly Greyjoy or one of the big two above. I'm not sure the game can survive too long without them, so it won't be too long regardless.

1st wave) Starks, Lannisters, Bolton mercenary house
2nd wave) Night's Watch, Free Folk
3rd wave) Baratheon, 1-2 additional merc houses (possibly Greyjoys, Stoneheart)
4th wave) Second KS, Targaryeon faction with Dragons and epic play
5th wave) Dorne vs Highgarden
6th wave) Third KS, Night King, undead dragon, etc

No idea if that will happen, but I have a feeling CMON is planning to go back to Kickstarter for the dragons. They will have to be pretty big and expensive, and with the success of the giant Cthulu, I don't think CMON is going to undersize them. This will also allow for CMON to sell the terrain bundle and extra promotional bits that are KS exclusive again (assuming this game gets very popular).

Because I talk too much, I also suspect we will continue to get new units for each existing faction throughout. This means I'm likely skipping a few waves in the above that include only new units and heroes for existing factions. Further, I think we will have a lot more mercenary factions than just the 1-2 extra I mentioned. I think we could see fairly significant houses being made mercenary (such as Arryn or Greyjoy). If the Tullys are a vassal and the Night's Watch a faction, thematic reasons are driving the decisions far more than power level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Barchak
United States
Carl Junction
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn’t even thought about CMON going back to Kickstarter to release the Targaryen army but that is very possible jrupes. I hope not because even if they started the Kickstarter campaign right now you’re looking at late 2019 before they would be shipped/released at best.

I pray they just release them as individual army packs like the nights watch and free folk but we’ see.

And you’re right about Jon Snow/Ghost selling the Nights Watch faction by himself. Besides the siege engine none of their units or leaders, save Mormont, interest me.

And the same could be said of the Free Folk and the Giants. If not for them I’d have no interest but the giants are very cool. You could buy them separately but you need other units of the same army to fill out a build so you might as well get the faction pack which includes the giants in it. $30 for one unit or $68 for the faction pack (prices from miniature market).

But speaking of dragons I don’t think they’ll be that difficult to implement. They’ll probably sit on a tray individually like the nights watch siege engine, have crazy stats (health, attack, defense, special fire breath attack, and I imagine insane movement) but be very expensive to boot. Maybe 15-20 points. So yes very epic unit but amazingly fun to use and see on the field of battle. Just imagine the Drogon model with Daenerys on top of it...insert Fry from Futurama meme “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Dorne!

Sandriders, elite spearmen, skirmishers and mounted lancers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Barchak
United States
Carl Junction
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I hadn’t even thought about the Martells. Oberyn would be a sweet Commander and unit to have in an army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrupes wrote:

Remember, the license is for the books, not the show, so there will not be any undead dragons. Also, remember that in the books the dragons are not trained at all. If memory serves (it's been a while since I read it) in the end, Dany was able to ride Drogon but not control him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Langdale
United Kingdom
Kingston Upon Hull
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrupes wrote:
I would argue the top two factions people are going to want and preorder left to be announced/designed:

1) Targaryeon with dragons
2) Night King

There are lots of issues with adding dragons to the game as their overall power level will likely necessitate alternate game modes. I'm guessing we will get a dragon "miniature" (or three) that will be used only in some kind of epic-style play. Regardless, they aren't coming soon. The first release being Stark vs Lannister (with Boltons) makes sense as it has both high narrative value and thematic engagement. However, it lacks a bit in fantastical elements, so CMON moved towards free folk. I'm not sure if we are getting a mammoth, but even just giants and wargs is a good starting point. To match the Free Folk, the Night's Watch is necessary (plus Jon can sell an entire faction). CMON is introducing siege equipment to keep the NW unique and interesting outside of just one attachment/commander/ncu. So what's next... I would expect a trend back towards classical factions, and the Baratheons are really missing from the battlefield considering their importance. I don't think the Tyrells are interesting enough to be paired with Baratheons, so I would guess we get another single-faction box. Then, I would suspect CMON to follow this up with something different and flavorful, possibly Greyjoy or one of the big two above. I'm not sure the game can survive too long without them, so it won't be too long regardless.

1st wave) Starks, Lannisters, Bolton mercenary house
2nd wave) Night's Watch, Free Folk
3rd wave) Baratheon, 1-2 additional merc houses (possibly Greyjoys, Stoneheart)
4th wave) Second KS, Targaryeon faction with Dragons and epic play
5th wave) Dorne vs Highgarden

No idea if that will happen, but I have a feeling CMON is planning to go back to Kickstarter for the dragons. They will have to be pretty big and expensive, and with the success of the giant Cthulu, I don't think CMON is going to undersize them. This will also allow for CMON to sell the terrain bundle and extra promotional bits that are KS exclusive again (assuming this game gets very popular).

Because I talk too much, I also suspect we will continue to get new units for each existing faction throughout. This means I'm likely skipping a few waves in the above that include only new units and heroes for existing factions. Further, I think we will have a lot more mercenary factions than just the 1-2 extra I mentioned. I think we could see fairly significant houses being made mercenary (such as Arryn or Greyjoy). If the Tullys are a vassal and the Night's Watch a faction, thematic reasons are driving the decisions far more than power level.

I think they would be best using targaryen as a one vs all variant so the dragons can be as powerful as they should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
mb
I would think:

Next will be Baratheon

I can't say for their troops, but they will certainly have good Morale with Stannis. In terms of NCU, Melisandre and Ser Davos come to mind easily. Salladhor Saan and his pirates could be a mercenary unit brought in.

A strange case would be Renly. I think he should be fielded with the Baratheon, as he had a great portion of their army during the war of the five Kings. Renly would be an NCU commander, while Stannis would on the board.

Then, i'm not sure in what order they'd go:

Greyjoys would be the logical theme but they fight on ships...so they do have raiders but otherwise aren't a typical fighting force on land. They don't typically ally themselves with anyone. There is plenty of characters to fill the roster so no worries there. The issue would be to work out how/why they'd fight on land vs a regular westeros army.

The Tyrells have a large army but they behave a bit like Mercenaries in the story, siding with Renly first and then switching to Lannisters. Olena Tyrell would be an amazing NCU though. We have a few characters to pick with Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Randyl Tarly...but do we have an account that relate how their army fought?

House Martell could be a very good theme, but apart from characters, i'm not aware of an actual battle to draw information about their army at the time of the war of the 5 Kings (and after). Besides Oberyn who'd be an awesome combat character, we have a few Martells family members to go by and the Sand Snakes.

Then for sure there will be the Targaryen, with Denerys and her dragon(s). The box is already full of characters with Ser Jorah, Daario Naharis, Ser Barristan, and perhaps even Khal Drogo (!). Troops are obvious with Unsullied, Second Sons, Dothraki savages and...well, Dragons. That last bit causes the same issue as for the greyjoy's ships, they would need a mechanic to help balancing, in this case a fully grown dragon could wipe out the small armies we're Fielding...but a great idea has been said above: they might be very hard to control.

The Night King also seems like an obvious choice...it could even be the next box, actually, but apart from the Night King, The Others, undead men and undead "stuff"...what else is there? And they would fight like no one else as they clearly don't flee the battle, so any army that currently thrives with panic/vicious mechanics, would have an issue if they are that much resilient to morale. It's very feasible, but will need alot of design juice.

-----
That's for new houses and factions...but even within the one we have, there are some missing things:

Crannogmen (Stark Troops for Howland Reed), Kights of the Vale (Mercenary), Hill Tribes (might be too redundant with Mountain's men) or Faith Militant(Lannister), Gold Cloaks (Mercenary). I would also like to see a Mormont unit...but they might not be different from Umber Berserkers enough.

I honestly think that the pyromancers were a poor choice of a unit given the choices...but anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.