29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cthulhu: Death May Die» Forums » General

Subject: Uhh what happened to no more early bird pricing for CMON games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Calhoun
msg tools
Gotta say throwing in this early bird pricing has completely turned me off from this game... not even like the old kickstarters this time it is a $30 difference along with a huge delay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcalhoun wrote:
Gotta say throwing in this early bird pricing has completely turned me off from this game... not even like the old kickstarters this time it is a $30 difference along with a huge delay...

I think CMON tried something new - and the hostility is far worse then ANY other recent KS - so I hope they learn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bolin
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remembered them saying no early bird pricing, but I couldn't find evidence of it anywhere, so I didn't say anything anywhere. Have they said that explicitly? Cause it just makes all of this so much worse. And it's already pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjbolin wrote:
I thought I remembered them saying no early bird pricing, but I couldn't find evidence of it anywhere, so I didn't say anything anywhere. Have they said that explicitly? Cause it just makes all of this so much worse. And it's already pretty bad.

They have said when asked for specific ones... never a blanket promise.

In Rising Sun:

Are there Early Birds in this campaign?
No, there are no Early Birds this time. We are tweaking our campaigns all the time to better service our fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B H
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It was definitely in the FAQ for Rising Sun or Rise of Moloch

Edit: well there was this in Rising Sun:

"Are there Early Birds in this campaign?
No, there are no Early Birds this time. We are tweaking our campaigns all the time to better service our fans.

Last updated: Tue, March 7 2017 3:37 PM EST"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not early bird! It's limited quantity! For whoever gets there first.

So to be serious - I get why each level added a month. They can only make them so fast. The rising prices though definitely felt insulting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
It's not early bird! It's limited quantity! For whoever gets there first.

So to be serious - I get why each level added a month. They can only make them so fast. The rising prices though definitely felt insulting to me.

That's the really icky part. Price should be the same - anyway I expect openings for those that want cheaper once shipping is announced. And some year at CMON Expo you'll be able to get extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neric wrote:
mcalhoun wrote:

I think CMON tried something new - and the hostility is far worse then ANY other recent KS - so I hope they learn...

It's so hostile they're going to hit a million dollars pledged in the next hour. Apparently backers are so furious they're trying to choke CMON staffers with dollar bills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B H
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
StarSeven wrote:
It was definitely in the FAQ for Rising Sun or Rise of Moloch

Edit: well there was this in Rising Sun:

"Are there Early Birds in this campaign?

Last updated: Tue, March 7 2017 3:37 PM EST"

That was also in Green Horde, Game of Thrones, and HATE ....and Invaiders.,......and Riders... so recent history...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mcgee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Neric wrote:
mcalhoun wrote:

Yeah. They're going to learn that everyone's hostility doesn't mean a damn thing. They're making ~$100k every five minutes. Obviously the people who don't give a crap and are willing to hand over their wallets vastly outnumber the people who are fed up with these greedy KS tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they successfully knocked me out of getting a R'lyeh Rising Pledge, CMON can eat my ass on this one. Some of us have jobs and jumping in 15 minutes after KS start is a sign of a very enthusiastic fan - screwing them over is kinda an odd marketing scheme. Why in f**ks name are people still backing that pledge level is what I'm wondering. So you get nixed because you didn't hit the refresh button at the exact right time and you're facing trying to nail another one for more money delivered later. Well, they got me for the Unspeakable Pledge, but I won't be getting R'lyeh now given this mistreatment. I can see that maybe they had to spread it out on delivery time, that would make sense, but upping the pledge dollar amount? It's currently $30 more than what the first pledgers paid. Well, not me, count me out. Marketing disaster if you ask me. Time to short the stock, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
jcfiala wrote:
It's so hostile they're going to hit a million dollars pledged in the next hour. Apparently backers are so furious they're trying to choke CMON staffers with dollar bills.

Wow it's almost like there's a ton of different people in the world, or like CMON is a super high profile game company. Gawsh.

I for one hit a moment of realization as the R'lyeh expansion got pushed into basically 2021. I want to play the game, and by the time the statue gets delivered I'll probably have moved on to playing other games.

Solution was buy the game and not the statue. I do still agree the pricing on the statue is scummy though.

Edit: Added context XD a bunch of comments appeared before I could finish typing! It was just like trying to snag a R'lyeh pledge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limited edition... for everyone who pledges, we'll just charge you more!

I'll probably just lurk on the campaign and decide if the $100 pledge is actually worth it, if and when we see some serious gameplay and rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Calhoun
msg tools
I'm positive they said somewhere in a podcast or some interview that they did away with early bird pricing as all it does is anger fans who weren't on in the first few minutes of the campaign going up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
all the "hostility" and people backing out (I'm one of those that are not backing this anymore) won't mean a thing. The only language companies understand is the money language, and they are raising a lot and will probably get to the 3 million again.

All I can say is "farewell" and "good for you". I didn't like it, I won't get it. No need for me to keep shouting or raising chaos or trying to get more people to back out of it. Everyone should do as you please.

But yeah, this one was pretty disheartening. I was looking forward to it and I felt slapped in the face. At least I know I'll have more money for other games that are coming this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël Garcin
France
Saint Ouen
Seine Saint Denis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not monsanto. They can still understand our language I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, it should have just been an add-on with the price already set. At least they could have avoided all the frustration & BS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pledged for 250.

I totally missed the start of the KS, so I dodged the experience of trying to get a lower pledge level. I can see how being rejected several times must suck, but if I would have run that campaign, I don’t think I would have been able to predict that. And you could easily blame KS for a shitty implementation - Eventbrite, for example, simply reserves you a ticket for ten minutes, once you started the purchasing process.

I also find it quite imaginable that 250 is a reasonable price, and the lower prices were actually subsidized by CMON to get the KS going. That wouldn’t be an unusual marketing strategy, or so it seems to me. So maybe the options where either raise the price or don’t provide more pledges at all. In which case I’d be happy that they took the former road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As much as I think it's stupid and I'm not backing, they will 100% use this technique or a modified version.
They made so much money, it'll be crazy for them to abandon this model completely by "rage" of a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
I just pledged for 250.

I totally missed the start of the KS, so I dodged the experience of trying to get a lower pledge level. I can see how being rejected several times must suck, but if I would have run that campaign, I don’t think I would have been able to predict that. And you could easily blame KS for a shitty implementation - Eventbrite, for example, simply reserves you a ticket for ten minutes, once you started the purchasing process.

I also find it quite imaginable that 250 is a reasonable price, and the lower prices were actually subsidized by CMON to get the KS going. That wouldn’t be an unusual marketing strategy, or so it seems to me. So maybe the options where either raise the price or don’t provide more pledges at all. In which case I’d be happy that they took the former road.

I disagree - I so would have shit all over the idea if it came up before the KS released. Seriously, I would've been pissed off even if I got in on the $220 pledge, what a fkhead thing to do. It has nothing to do with the price, if it started at $250, but those who pledged quicker would get it faster, I could live with that, but still stupid - just ship them all out when they're all done. They wanted to create buzz and hype, they got it. FCK YOU! ( to be clear, toward CMON - not bashing anyone pledging, do what you like, of course ).

EDIT: Gaming is a community - you either lean in on that dynamic or you blow it up. This KS blew up good will, fairness, sportsmanship and respect. Backers ( and I was one of them, dazed and confused ) climbing all over each other to get the pledge. We didn't know more iterations would be released, it was coming off as kinda limited ( as they said so in Update ). And now it's open to all. They would have made more money ( i.e. everyone pledging same $250 amount ) and more pledges ( not losing those of us giving them the middle finger for doing such a fckheaded thing ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The escalating pledge level for a the same item isn't a new idea and if they had seen the level of outrage and disgust in the Shadows of Brimstone KS they might have realised they'd get a little hostility for a similar idea in this KS. Before the campaign started I skirted with the idea of getting the model because it would look good on the shelf, now it's not the increasing pledge that's put me off so much as the date it is expected to be delivered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that people are pledging now but you can back out of a KS at any point in time. The stall will be very real on this unless they can get their ship together. I actually like a lot of what I'm seeing in the base game so as long as they throw a couple more episodes and maybe an Elder God in the base pledge, I'm happy.

That said, they really need to knock this shit off with EBs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also nly takes a few more campaigns to realize that they could build a campaigns entirely around slowly increasing FOMO pricing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qaesyan wrote:
Yeah. They're going to learn that everyone's hostility doesn't mean a damn thing. They're making ~$100k every five minutes. Obviously the people who don't give a crap and are willing to hand over their wallets vastly outnumber the people who are fed up with these greedy KS tactics.

This. Its a normal big-business mentality I see happen in even big companies I have worked for. Individual grievances are ignored for the most part because there are still millions of other clients signing up every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
db-one wrote:
qaesyan wrote:

This. Its a normal big-business mentality I see happen in even big companies I have worked for. Individual grievances are ignored for the most part because there are still millions of other clients signing up every day.

If true, why hasn't there been another SG unlocked for 3 days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.