Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had it dawn on me as I'm digging into this game pretty hardcore over the past 2 months (35 plays). There's a lot of stuff! It seems like it will frequently take 3-8+ tries to beat a scenario. After that, you can retry scenarios with different approaches- new heroes, different spheres, true solo, two-handed solo, multiplayer, different tricks, an updated card pool, improving your score, etc. Then there is nightmare mode. All of this easily translates into hundreds (or thousands) of plays!

With the release of the new deluxe box The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Wilds of Rhovanion, we have 99 officially released scenarios (by my count, not counting nightmare mode), with more just around the bend. There are also some reputable fan-made scenarios.

With all this content out, how much of it have you actually played?

Poll
1. How many scenarios do you own?
Less than 10
10-19
20-29
30-39
40-49
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90-99
100+
2. How many unique scenarios have you played?
Less than 10
10-19
20-29
30-39
40-49
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90-99
100+
3. How many plays have you logged (plays of an individual scenario)?
Or if you don't log plays, what's your best guess?
Less than 20
20-49
50-99
100-299
300-499
500-999
1000+
4. Do you play nightmare mode?
Yes, I've played most or all of them, it's my preferred way to play
Yes, I play them often, it's my preferred way to play
Yes, sometimes, but I mostly play normal/easy
I've tried it, but it's not for me
Never tried it, but want to someday
Not interested
5. If you have been playing a while and have a sizeable collection, are you buying the new collector's edition?
Yes
No
Maybe
      280 answers
Poll created by SJacobsen159

Other more open ended questions/discussions:
-How many tries on average does it take you to beat a scenario on normal mode?

-What gets you to replay scenarios that you have already beaten?

Poll
For those who've played through several cycles, what's your favorite non-Saga cycle?
Core Set & Shadows of Mirkwood
Khazad-dûm & Dwarrowdelf
Heirs of Númenor & Against the Shadow
The Voice of Isengard & The Ring-maker
The Lost Realm & Angmar Awakened
The Grey Havens & Dream-chaser
The Sands of Harad & Haradrim
The Wilds of Rhovanion & Ered Mithrin
      127 answers

Poll
Here is a make-shift graph of sorts.

X-axis is how many scenarios you own.
Y axis is how many scenarios you've played.
Please only select one answer total.
What's the percentage of scenarios that you own that you have played?
Please only select one bubble total.
  Own less than 10 Own 10-19 Own 20-29 Own 30-39 Own 40-49 Own 50-59 Own 60-69 Own 70-79 Own 80-89 Own 90-99 Own 100+
Played 100+
Played 90-99
Played 80-89
Played 70-79
Played 60-69
Played 50-59
Played 40-49
Played 30-39
Played 20-29
Played 10-19
Played less than 10
      112 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The number of times it takes to beat any given scenario depends on both the difficulty level and how much tweaking the starter deck needs. Some have been beaten on the first try, while others may have taken 15-20 runs.
Replaying scenarios that have been beaten and logged really depends on how much fun they are. A recent one that fell in that category was Lost in Mirkwood from the Wilds of Rhovanion. There are so many variations that can occur as it's played that it really has great replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Other more open ended questions/discussions:

The mode is one try.
The median is two tries.
The mean is probably around three tries.

That means the majority of quests are beaten within two tries and beating it on the first try is the most common outcome, but certain quests take more tries. (With that said, there are quests I've played and never beaten on normal mode.)

Quote:

Playing with different decks and/or player count. Quests already have widely different difficulties depending on player count and the luck of the shuffle; but the huge variety in decks makes every victory against a quest feel different. (To this point I haven't bothered replaying the same deck against the same quest after beating it, though if I were trying to estimate a deck's true win probability against a particular quest I'd need quite a few playthroughs against it, win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting results so far, but I forgot one of the most important questions- the one that links the first two (or could have bypassed them and had this instead). I put it at the bottom of the OP, please vote!

Surprising results to me, being new to the LotR community:

-How "low" people voted on the nightmare deck question. Is it how I worded it? Are people not really playing these frequently? Are you buying them?

-The discrepancy between owned and played is also surprising. Nearly 35% of people so far said they own everything or nearly anything, but if you add up those percentages of players for scenarios played, you have to get to the 40+ brackets before it meets that percentage of players.

A very surprising 27.5% have played fewer than 10 scenarios.

Re: the question about best cycles: this echoes the murmurs I read in the forums. Khazadum and Grey Havens being the best cycles. I wonder if in part that Khazadum is just that good, or if it's because it came so early that it's people's strongest memory, or maybe they didn't play much further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Can't say what gets me to replay a scenario. I actually replay most of them that didn't seem badly designed to me, eventually.

Most scenarios I beat on exactly the second or third try unless they are easy or very difficult. This likely come from the fact that I don't look at them ahead of time but after trying them once I can usually put together a deck which beats them pretty handily (though even then sometimes back luck ends the game early)

I don't own many nightmare packs (all of 2) [as a side note, beat both of them on second try] I think they're fine. I don't think I'm so hard up for challenges that it's all that tempting to specifically aim for more of them, on the other hand, if I could pick more up for free I would gladly do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nightmare are mainly for those who play super elite decks and want the ultimate challenge as standard quests have become too easy for them.

I bought the nightmare decks for the first 2 cycles as I was never going to replay those quests as they became too easy with the card pool. (Though why I bothered getting Escape From Dol Guldur NM is a mystery!) Otherwise, there's only 1 other quest I really enjoy, but found too easy, so I also bought it's NM version. For me, the rest of the quests (for the most part) are "just right."

As for the best cycle, I think your assessment is correct, especially as some players fizzle when they reach Heirs of Numenor, given it was so much harder than what had come before. Hence, Khazad-Dum probably remains their favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that a lot of people are in a similar boat as myself. I loved the core set and then went about being some of the deluxe expansions since you get the most for your money that way. I've always wanted to get more, but other games or places to spend money come up resulting in my have 10-15 scenarios and feeling like my card pool is still kind of limited. That is definitely what keeps me from wanting to play nightmare decks. I am already challenged enough already that I see no reason to go out and find something oppressively challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how 34 people answered they own more than a hundred quests when there are actually "only" 99 quests available whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 99 count excluded Nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
banania wrote:
I love how 34 people answered they own more than a hundred quests when there are actually "only" 99 quests available :whistle: :what: :)

I'm counting *I believe* 108 quests, before Nightmares are factored in.

*edit*- Oic, the 99 count forgot the 9 special quests that are from like Gen Con and Fellowship events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxes containing 3 scenarios (core, deluxe, sagas)= 16x3=48
Cycles containing 6 scenarios= 7x6= 42
Stand alones= 9
48+42+9= 99
What am I missing?

After the current cycle, there will be 105. After the limited edition: 107.
I put the 100+ option partially because we'll have 100 in the very near future, and I know there are some well-regarded fan made PnP options which some people might count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Boxes containing 3 scenarios (core, deluxe, sagas)= 16x3=48
Cycles containing 6 scenarios= 7x6= 42
Stand alones= 9
48+42+9= 99
What am I missing?

After the current cycle, there will be 105. After the limited edition: 107.
I put the 100+ option partially because we'll have 100 in the very near future, and I know there are some well-regarded fan made PnP options which some people might count.

Oops, no you're right. 99 as of *right* now. I think I accidentally miscounted the number of cycles.

Still WELL over 100 with the Nightmares, of which I have all of.

Crazy how many there is now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how many scenarios there are but I own everything including the GenCon/Fellowship - just not the nightmare decks so assumed that was the top amount. Since some of the more recent GenCon/Fellowship events used 3 copies, I guess that should count for the 100+ if I own 3 copies of each, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On average, it takes my wife and I 2 or 3 tries to beat a scenario. We like going into them blind with our favorite decks and some LotR music playing. If we die, I usually end up doing a major deck rebuild while she tweaks her deck a little bit and winding up with better results.

As for replaying old scenarios - We both have favorite scenarios that we revisit fairly regularly. Other ones that get replayed are ones we felt like we lucked our way through winning, or that we just barely won.

This is definitely the board game that we're most committed to. We own all of the released scenarios, but have a backlog of about... 25 scenarios that we haven't gotten to yet - most of the Print on Demand stuff, and the most recent cycle + saga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I own everything so just clicked the top one, I wasn't going to sit there and try to work it out in my head!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Yeah I own everything so just clicked the top one, I wasn't going to sit there and try to work it out in my head!

I don't blame you, neither would I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:

Surprising results to me, being new to the LotR community:

-How "low" people voted on the nightmare deck question. Is it how I worded it? Are people not really playing these frequently? Are you buying them?

I would guess that nightmare would appeal to about 5% of players--ones who are completionists, or have really embraced the game and are hardcore about it.

Quote:
-The discrepancy between owned and played is also surprising. Nearly 35% of people so far said they own everything or nearly anything, but if you add up those percentages of players for scenarios played, you have to get to the 40+ brackets before it meets that percentage of players.
Is that because of the time it takes to construct (and reconstruct) a deck? Also the "grab it now while it's in print"? Collecting is easy(ish). Playing is hard. Every now and then, I'll hit a wall and put it away for a few months, but I will eventually play all I have. (Then I have to decide if I will really stop with Dreamchaser.)

Quote:
A very surprising 27.5% have played fewer than 10 scenarios.

Re: the question about best cycles: this echoes the murmurs I read in the forums. Khazadum and Grey Havens being the best cycles. I wonder if in part that Khazadum is just that good, or if it's because it came so early that it's people's strongest memory, or maybe they didn't play much further.
I think that's your answer. You have a double bell curve, a large group of beginners and a smaller group of long term, dedicated veterans. Definitely the middle cycles used a lot of experimentation that confounded a lot of decks and bothered a lot of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as me. Personally, I love the art, so I'll get it just for that, but I'm new so haven't played much. Plus, being lucky enough to catch Mirkwood in print I'm buying it up. I'm even gonna scoop up the Nightmare decks. Khazad Dum was in my LGS, as was At the Doorstep. While I wait for the Dwarowdelf cycle to come back I'm gonna see what else I can scoop up. So I fit in both bell curves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people buy expansions that never get played. Not surprising really.

Only a minority is interested in nightmare difficulty.

But:

Since LotR is a solo/co-op game, the chance people will play and catch up all these bought expansions over time is fairly huge.

I bought the basic boxes at launch and only now, 8 years after, I caught the virus...

LotR solo LCG is a stayer, just like its close cousin, AH LCG.

Both games have the advantage of being non competitive solo/co-op games which makes them immune to meta deck building/burn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in an unusual position relative to this game. On the one hand, I like the thematic aspects of the game. I also like the mechanics. However, I don't look for really hard games and though the original missions aren't THAT hard, there is an upward pretty steep curve on how hard missions are and how much they punish the player if they aren't using expertly constructed decks. Or so it seems to me after watching a lot of Youtube plays and playing the first 9 missions.

I see this effect in a lot of games. The core players of the game are good players and experienced players. THEY want something that will challenge them after their years of play. I suspect I've already purchased more scenarios than I might be able to play (primarily to get the player cards). I will probably have to gradually find ways to counter the upward difficulty curve with house rules that reduce the difficulty to a level I can handle. Which is not to say that I don't plan to improve, and if I do, I will back those off.

So I feel like I'm not looking for the same kinds of experiences that experienced LCG players and especially experienced Lotr LCG players are. I'm looking for challenging but fair which is what I found with the early adventures (and more current player decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried easy mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
banania wrote:
Have you tried easy mode?

Yes. I suspect it will depend heavily on the quest and what cards were removed in easy mode, but already in Into the Pit in Khazah Dum it's too hard [for my taste]. I'll work on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Into the Pit is actually the hardest scenario in that box. Thematically it had to be first but I found both of the other ones easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.