Fantasy Flight Games» Forums » News

Subject: New game - Discover: Lands Unknown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Hejtman
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So Czech distributor revealed info about game, it is designed by Corey Konieczka and every box has unique mix of components.
http://hraj.cz/katalog-her/140:discover

Edit: They shut it down, probably waiting for official announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Froggery wrote:
So Czech distributor revealed info about game, it is designed by Corey Konieczka and every box has unique mix of components.
http://hraj.cz/katalog-her/140iscover
O M G.

This is the first of the "Unique Games" series, an entirely new type of game. "Unique Games" can take many forms, but the key factor is that each copy of the game is different. The box you bring from your store will contain other components than your friend will find in his box, which he buys somewhere else. Although game mechanics and basic components such as figurines will be the same in every copy of the game, most cards, mappings, and tokens will be randomly selected from a huge bundle of possible components. When you open up your copy of Discover: Earth unknown, you can never be sure what you find inside. "Unique Games" are not "Legacy" games that start with the same set of game components but are unique in the game. "Unique Games" have a unique mix of game components in each box. Each Discover Box: Unknown Earth offers you a completely different gaming experience, other maps, other enemies and other items available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not too sure how I feel about that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Michel 974
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are a few pictures on this Italian forum : https://www.goblins.net/phpBB3/post1616925.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's website now also has an article about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Update on FFG's webpage: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/13/discove...

Not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jm974 wrote:
There are a few pictures on this Italian forum : https://www.goblins.net/phpBB3/post1616925.html

I posted them. The images are take form the czech publisher site (read 2 or 3 messages above)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That saved me a few quid and some shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks and sounds amazing, I can’t wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting! Looking at the cover, it seems like there are 4 different types of terrain where the adventures might take place. I am curious if all of them will be included in each box? Or just 1 out of 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Looks very interesting! Looking at the cover, it seems like there are 4 different types of terrain where the adventures might take place. I am curious if all of them will be included in each box? Or just 1 out of 4?

Based on the game concept I'm pretty sure you only get the terrain for the location you "wake up" in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it looks interesting the completionist in me is staying far, far away from these Unique games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is there a bgg entry to which i can subscribe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
is there a bgg entry to which i can subscribe?

Not yet. The game was only just announced. I imagine it will appear within a couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, pass.

Does anyone know who the artist is? Looks familiar and I really love the look of the characters, but I can't find that info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting.
Looks nice enough, but I can't say the "Unique Games" approach appeals to me.

I imagine someone's rubbing their hands together at the thought of a whole bunch of completionist board gamers buying multiple copies so they can do swapsies with their mates for a "full set".

Although after the cereal-box quality cardboard boxes that Mansions of Madness has now adopted, perhaps this is just FFG's next logical step... throw out some of the components themselves!

It just seems odd to lovingly design hundreds of different cards, tiles & tokens, then playtest & carefully balance them all... before just randomly tossing a subset of them in each box. I guess it's one way to cut down on customer service requests for missing components.

Or maybe I'm missing something since it's only just been announced? Perhaps the components are not so "randomly" selected after all? Maybe there are simply various different flavours of each carefully-designed card/tile/token, which might actually be functionally very similar (if not identical), and completely interchangeable, just with different artwork/text/themes.

EDIT: eg. the 80's version of "Unique Games" might go something like this...
Quote:
The {bear/wolf/neighbour} bites you on your {arm/leg/way home from work}. Lose 2HP
Quote:
You suffer through the intense {heat/cold/lake of vile pink custard}. Roll 2xD6. Score more than your {health/firewood in inventory/dexterity} or else lose 4HP.
Or maybe there's a lot more depth to it than that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There must be a market for these 'unique' game concepts, but it is not moving me an inch.

All I see in this is that you're not getting a complete game, however, if you'd like another go at it, please feel free to drop another $$$ to see if you end up with a new adventure (or deck, in the case of Archon). Sure hope you like it .....

All the components have been created, they're just spread throughout a bunch of boxes and blister packs. I'm not sure I like this model, and sadly, although I was looking forward to this announcement, I'll be passing on all this unique stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:

Or maybe I'm missing something since it's only just been announced? Perhaps the components are not so "randomly" selected after all? Maybe there are simply various different flavours of each carefully-designed card/tile/token, which might actually be functionally very similar (if not identical), and completely interchangeable, just with different artwork/text/themes.

It's definitely not completely random selection. In the other "unique game" - KeyForge: Call of the Archons - they said there is an algorithm to make the decks not too weak/strong or unfun (They don't claim they are completely balanced but Richard Garfield made a post there on why he believes that's alright). In this game balance is probably less important but the coherence of the story is, and there is probably some algorithm that tries to ensure that.

Although some elements might repeat with minor functional changes, I think the concept is that functionality does change significantly from box to box.

Personally I am intrigued. It's a perfect match between theme and "mechanic" (or "game system"?) and an interesting concept. I'm not sure I'll buy it but I'll be happy to try it. We'll see how the concept is received. It could be the next "legacy", already seems like it's as polarizing or more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
It just seems odd to lovingly design hundreds of different cards, tiles & tokens, then playtest & carefully balance them all... before just randomly tossing a subset of them in each box.
I don't think that there how it's done. It's more likely that they've taken a process from video games (like those that use procedurally generated levels) and modified that to produce a set of components "at random" within a set of parameters. Then random artwork elements and name elements can be assigned. Job done. As long as they've carefully tested the parameter set they don't have to test each possible game (though with a computer generated game it's trivial to automate testing it with computers).

I have to say that I'm very interested in how they designed this, but totally disinterested in the game that it produces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I have to say that I'm very interested in how they designed this, but totally disinterested in the game that it produces.
That about sums up my feelings about this (and unique games in general).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The4thJawa wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
That about sums up my feelings about this (and unique games in general).
I have zero interest in 2P adversarial games regardless of whether they have some "Unique Game" marketing BS attached to them or not. I used to think I was prime FFG demographic, but no longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Sweep the Leg!
mbmbmbmbmb
So FFG has decided to try something different, and as expected, the sky is falling, its a scam, a money grab, etc. I can only imagine what the reaction was like here when Legacy style games first came about. This may end up not working, but the concept is interesting and they are trying something different. If this threatens you.....give it a hard pass. Granted the negativity here is nothing compared to the Keyforge forums the first few days after the announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
ARTARMON
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my comment that I am interested and intrigued by the concept here and will be following the game as things develop.

If I was not interested or disliked the concept then I wouldn't bother to comment. I'm pragmatic that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hengst2404 wrote:
So FFG has decided to try something different, and as expected, the sky is falling, its a scam, a money grab, etc. I can only imagine what the reaction was like here when Legacy style games first came about. This may end up not working, but the concept is interesting and they are trying something different. If this threatens you.....give it a hard pass. Granted the negativity here is nothing compared to the Keyforge forums the first few days after the announcement.
My thoughts exactly. Fantasy Flight Games and Corey Konieczka would never throw something out there that didn’t work and I’m excited at the prospect of a new production model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by the concept, but skeptic about what it would bring to the gaming table.

For KeyForge: Call of the Archons I kind of get the unique game concept. Each deck is limited to a number of cards to function reasonably and with the complete unique aspect you'll never know exactly what you can expect (as opponent), which would be the case with pre-con decks.

But with this game I got the feeling there is no reason you couldn't get a box with all the components and use randomizers to get this sessions specific set-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |