1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Russian Campaign: Designer Signature Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Why does this game get pushed back on the calendar each month? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone have any insight. Now GMT update is saying "early to mid 2019"? A couple of months ago, it was August 2018. Dang it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent GMT update I can find (June 2018) has it listed for Oct-Dec 2018. Where did you see 2019 as the current estimate?

My understanding is that games from Consim Press were trying to be bundled for the printer to save money and so if something else in that bundle was taking longer, then the others got pushed back as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This months GMT update has it at early to mid 2019.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept rechecking GMT after seeing your post and only now does the new update show up for me. Odd.

Well, that sucks. I see another Consim Press game got pushed back to 2019 as well as Russian Campaign- Bear's Claw, which I preordered back in February, 2014. I thought it was one of the Consim Press submarine games that was holding things up for going to print but those are still listed as releases for 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
So we will have been waiting for three years, as the P500 started in 2016.
My best playing time being summer, I was expecting TRC for 2017, then 2018.
My last bet was Q2 2019... but I have doubts that the last date postponement won't be the last one.
"Promises only commit those who believe them", as we say in French.

For a game which design has been fixed for past 40 years - this is a Designer's edition (with some options also published in the 70-80's) - TRC is not a brand new concept which must be extensively playtested, etc.
And it is no monster game with heavy rules and numerous counters.
The pictures of the counters and (beautiful) maps are around since the beginning : there doesn't seem to need extensive graphics developement either.

Is the delay really about organising print runs?
It seems that Consim Press have printed other games in the meanwhile (e.g. the Hunters comes to mind, as they are P500ing a third print).

Perhaps did the blunders of Compass Games with TAC (same Designer's edition, btw, with maps, counters and rules requiring extensive errata and replacements - the promised corrected living rules are still not out, after having been promised months ago) hinder the production of TRC progress?
It could be an acceptable reason for some delay - but the errors in TAC were spotted almost immediately, so good proofreading and a simple series of playtests would have solved them upstream.

I preordered two samples of TRC in 2016, because I thought that a reedition of the game would not take too long...
I was plainly wrong.

I am keeping my preorders (including two sets of the mounted maps), because I really am looking forward to getting (and playing, btw) this game - yes, they will have my money in the end.

New bet: GMT will produce Absolute War (https://gmtgames.com/p-573-absolute-war.aspx), a brand new design requiring much more playtesting, before TRC comes out - I am extending my bet to 2020 for the latter.
Both game have the same status (both "Made the cut").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as the Consim Press issue, GMT have also been hit by delays due to their systems changeover, which probably has lost them 6-12 months on various items being printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owenedwards wrote:
As well as the Consim Press issue, GMT have also been hit by delays due to their systems changeover, which probably has lost them 6-12 months on various items being printed.
That is a good explanation indeed.
They also lost some email adresses for their newsletters.
Well, we have no choice but wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

John Kranz who ran/runs ConsimPress seems to be doing lots of stuff with Compass Games so maybe that is part of the delay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, just to explain I met with GMT and we plan to get the 3 U-Boat games (The Hunters, The Hunted, and Silent Victory) by Gregory Smith out first to the printer (beginning of September), followed by Russian Campaign and Bear's Claw later in the Fall. We'll get there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I preordered two samples of TRC in 2016, because I thought that a reedition of the game would not take too long...
I was plainly wrong.

I'm starting to doubt if I even want TRC: Designer Edition any more. I already have Russia Besieged, but I really don't care for it because the map is too big and about 1/3 of it isn't even used. And apparently the TRC map is now of similar size. I may just go ahead and buy a 3rd Edition of the original and call it good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
followed by Russian Campaign and Bear's Claw later in the Fall. We'll get there!

So am I understanding, the GMT website (last time I checked) said early to mid 2019. You're saying this fall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
"This fall" would be 2018, eh?

Let us hope 2019 is achievable....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GMT August update, just out today, now says "Mid 2019"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoresnoresnore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hold your breath - GMT continually come up with unrealistic schedules.

It does them no favours - if they can only print x number of games in a quarter it would be better from a customer service point of view if they said so

Updates states 22 items will be published mid 2019, this after 16 early in 2019.

Does anyone seriously think they will publish 38 games in the first 8 months of next year, anybody ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pastor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Robin on this. The game is a reprint. A lot of the work has been done decades ago. It doesn't make sense to me. In addition it had one of the largest pledges. If I remember correctly it had over 1200 pre-orders. Almost all the games that made the cut at the same time as TRC have been published. Some with far fewer pre-orders. Why the hate for TRC GMT Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reduced my preorder of TRC and mounted map from two to one.
Simultaneously, I preordered Absolute War.
I still want TRC because of its "vintage" aspect, but it seems that Absolute War, with its area map and simple rules could be a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3rd edition is very good. It is easy to just print off the 4th edition rules and play on 3rd edition map. Someone even made very nice updated counters and there are updated maps around. I have the L2 edition and still just use my 3rd edition set. I have only prordered the GMT 5th edition for collecting. It will probably never get played. I just prefer smaller maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm increasingly leaning to do this. Buying a 3rd Edition on Ebay and maybe some updated counters. The bigger map(s) of the Designers' Edition is a turnoff to me. In addition, the continual delay in turning out the game has cooled my enthusiasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jchron wrote:
I'm starting to doubt if I even want TRC: Designer Edition any more.

I have stopped to care about it and cancelled my order. Life is too short...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’m getting ready to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jchron wrote:
I’m getting ready to do the same.

I've just done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We lost our DTP guy slated for getting The Hunted game out first (along with Silent Victory and Hunters reprints), but fortunately we hired Chad Jensen who is going to step into the job in a few weeks. Once that is done, we can then work with him on the next project, Russian Campaign. I understand everyone's frustration and deciding to cancel an order, but we are moving forward albeit we did incur another delay. Fortunately, we will have a resource in place now to help us cross the finish line on 2 new game releases...so that problem is finally solved and that's the last piece to Russian Campaign besides final proofs of all components -- maps, counters, player aids all done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
consimworld wrote:
We lost our DTP guy ..........

Nough Said. I shall wait patiently for The Russian Campaign: Designer Signature Edition

It has been many-a-year since I played the game and a few more will not kill me (been married for 36 years - so what's a few years any who).

Thanks for the update explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grandpa Bohlin
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
John- I apologize if this is the umpteenth recommendation for the Designer edition, but I want to share several I recently mentioned to Art Lupinacci. John E's OB needs tightening. Neil Zimmerer made some OB adjustments for AH Russian Front when it came out in 1985, adding historic corps and armies (particularly improved accuracy of Soviet mechanized corps while replacing the original Red Army counters with correct rifle corps. Makes a big improvement for Soviet player options on T1. He also eliminated a number of Soviet guards faux units that had infiltrated the Edwards OB. Neil also eliminated the 14th Soviet Rifle Army by substituting an extra 19th Army (no doubt the printer changed a 4 to a 9). Both designers completely missed the 4th Rumanian Army - an initial (or a July reinforcement) grouping of 3rd, 5th and 11th corps, as well as the 2nd Corps that comprised Antonescu's reserve). Both designers failed to include the Hungarian 8th Corps/Carpathian Army Group comprising the Mountain Brigade and the 8th Frontier Brigade. Slovaks started out with a full corps (2x Inf Divs + Mobile (Fast Brigade) which evolved into 1 Inf Div + 1 Security Div + 1 motorized Div by Oct 41. Initial Italian Corps (CSIR) is inaccurately depicted - Highly mobile Celere Div + 2 Autotransportable Inf Divs - sufficient Corps transport to convey only one div at any one time, but combat support was fully motorized. In 1942, TRC omits Italian Alpini Corps, bad call since these 3 divisions play no small part in 8th Italian Opns after Stalingrad falls.

Neil Z correctly added the 1st Finnish Corps as a reinforcement that allowed Mannerheim to shift his 4th Corps east of Lake Ladoga in Sep 41. Neil Z added Finnish 3rd Corps to RF superfluously since these divisions were engaged in operations to cut/secure the Murmansk RR on the Kola Peninsula.

One last point is the missing Bug River that formed the start line for at least half of Army Group Center. Not a huge deal for Axis T1 since river restrictions are suspended. Becomes a huge deal for late game and late war scenarios for the Axis player trying to stem the Soviet advance toward East Prussia in 1944. I think any/all of these corrections will enhance game play, especially for the old hands who have played the heck out of editions 1-3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.