Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Ziggy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know, you clicked on this with your eyebrows raised.
I can see your skeptical face from here.
Or perhaps not, perhaps you have played both and you clicked to dispute and/or agree with me.
Perhaps.

First, I know they are not the same game. My argument is that Azul is the older sibling. It's seen a little more of life, is a little more complex and knows what it wants.

Are you familiar with the rules?
Here is the shortest possible summary of both.

This is Azul's playing board

You gather tiles from a central source and make a prescribed pattern based on picking matching tiles and placing them on one of the rows.
If you pick too many for that row they are moved to the bottom and count as negative points at the end. You receive points for placing tiles in the pattern. The game is obviously more nuanced than this, and please don't play the game based on this general description, but...

This is Zooloretto: The Dice Game's playing score pad.

You role dice and then place them on a central source. At your discretion you pick up the dice and make a prescribed pattern based on picking matching animals and placing them on one of the rows. If you pick too many for that row they are moved to the bottom and count as negative points at the end. You receive points for placing animals in the row. This game is obviously a little more nuanced than this, and please don't play the game based on this general description, but...

Do you see it?!

Still skeptical?

Truth be told, the more I play games the more I see the similarities between them. I have purchased a game more than once only to get it home and realize I kind of own it already -- or close enough.
Not that it's a bad thing... I like both of these for what they are.
But I think they have the same last name...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
ziggy678 wrote:

Not that it's a bad thing... I like both of these for what they are.
But I think they have the same last name...

But they grew up in different towns, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Baby Jane and Blanche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next you'll be telling us that Splendor is kissing cousins with Sid Sackson's Bazaar? Mark my words, it'll never wash...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Ziggy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow. I had to google that. I hope both games end up with a happier ending...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
ziggy678 wrote:
Wow. I had to google that. I hope both games end up with a happier ending...

You can tell you are getting old when others have to google up what for you was once a familiar pop reference. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reich
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
ziggy678 - You are not alone in seeing Zooloretto as an ancestor for Azul, and I highlighted the same general mechanisms (drafting; filling a 'paddock' and scoring it in some way; the 'barn' for leftovers and penalties) with my game group a few months ago such that I wouldn't be surprised that Zooloretto was a starting point for the game design.

I prefer Zooloretto (SDJ version, not the dice game) though as I feel it brings more of a 'fun energy' to the table, has simple variants/expansions (e.g. the petting zoo, disregarding Aquaretto which I felt was too 'gamey' and lost the fun, simplicity and charm of the original), and has a better theme (for me), thus I have opted not to purchase Azul as I already own and enjoy the broadly similar mechanisms as presented in Zooloretto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Ziggy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good to know! I've had Zooloretto on my wish list for some time, but the OOP price tag has kept me away. I love to thrift board games though, so I still hope to find it one day! I was looking at Zooloretto Junior too and had the same thought of how it's similar - and fun to boot. It seems as though that whole family appeals to my gaming sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.