Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all please help clarify some rules.
How many encounter cards can dracula place on each hideout?

Must you reveal your hideouts simply if an investigator lands on a hideout in your trail or must they ask?

Does dracula decide when to trigger an encounter if investigators are in the space?

During combat does the hunter always pick up the cards used during combat or do they leave it in the play are the same way dracula does?

When dracula plays escape as bat or mist during combat, where does he move to?

If I place a rumor token on one of my hideouts in my trail, and the encounter is defeated or the hideout is revealed, do I get the rumor token back and am I able to.place it in a new hideout?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Hi all please help clarify some rules.

Must you reveal your hideouts simply if an investigator lands on a hideout in your trail or must they ask?

Does dracula decide when to trigger an encounter if investigators are in the space?

During combat does the hunter always pick up the cards used during combat or do they leave it in the play are the same way dracula does?

If I place a rumor token on one of my hideouts in my trail, and the encounter is defeated or the hideout is revealed, do I get the rumor token back and am I able to.place it in a new hideout?

Thank you.

1) Dracula places one encounter card on a hideout. It is possible to put more on via some event cards or if you are using Lairs.

2) Yes, a hideout is revealed if a Hunter enters the city. But not if passing through on a train.

3) Dracula can decide to Ambush with an encounter card whenever a Hunter ENTERS a city. If Dracula does not do so at that time, he cannot later Ambush unless another Hunter enters the city.

4) The Hunter picks up their previously used combat card, leaving the new one at the end of the round. So if a Hunter has one pistol and their regular cards (Punch, Dodge, Escape), they could only use the Pistol every other round.

5) Escape as Mist, Dracula (or any vampire) stays in the same city. For Escape as Bat, Dracula (only) can move to a city up to two roads away, so clear the current hideout and put that new city card on the trail along with the Escape as Bat card.

6) The rumor token is lost if the encounter is defeated. If the hideout is revealed, the token will stay on the board until the encounter is defeated or the hideout is cleared. The tokens are one use only and if they are removed they are gone. Just remember you get a new one every time a despair token is placed on the board, meaning Dracula will have a maximum of four per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid this is a game were you really do need to read the rules, and then look things up during play. Still, will try to help.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
One, when placing the location. There are a few exceptions (lairs, an event).

BIgLatinDude wrote:

Dracula may Ambush on the turn a Hunter enters a city. The hunter may Search encounters as a turn action. EDIT: oops, misread the question. Must reveal when they stop at the city.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
He decides WHETHER OR NOT to Ambush (trigger an encounter). The timing is set: only when a Hunter first enters a city.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
No getting around reading the COMBAT section of the Rule Reference. Have it open and follow along for your first several combats. The hunter's combat card stays on the table for one round and then is returned to hand (unless it's text says to discard it, or a Dracula effect discards it).

BIgLatinDude wrote:
For mist, he leaves combat but stays in the city. Same for bats during the day/dawn. For Bats at night, any city up to two roads away.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
The rumor token will go back to the pool when the Hideout is cleared. This happens when it falls off the end of the trail, and some other times, like when a vampire matures.EDIT: oops again. tired. Chris did a better job (see above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question. Say a hunter plays knife and dracula plays escape as bat, does that mean his escape is negated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Question. Say a hunter plays knife and dracula plays escape as bat, does that mean his escape is negated?

Yes, Knife cancels Dracula's card (compare the icons in the top left) which therefore does nothing. All that happens is that Dracula takes 3 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up.

Please let me ask about lairs.
All I need to do is select a random 3 cities to be hideous, place (how many encounts?) And that's it?

Or am.i suppose to choose a pair based on my trail?

It was a bit confusing as to how they can be liars, the regular hideouts, then lairs again..

Also, can hunters drop/discard items to replace old ones?

Hunters ally is for every hunter or just the one that pick it? Can you replace them like inventory items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up.

Please let me ask about lairs.
All I need to do is select a random 3 cities to be hideous, place (how many encounts?) And that's it?

Or am.i suppose to choose a pair based on my trail?

It was a bit confusing as to how they can be liars, the regular hideouts, then lairs again..

Before you create a lair it must be a hideout. You can only make a lair when a location falls off the end of the trail. You take the hideout dropping off and move it to the lairs area adding 1 encounter to it at that time.

Later, Dracula can move to the lair on his turn in the normal way, in which case (instead if placing a card from his deck) he moves the lair back to the first space in the trail so it becomes a hideout again, again adding a single extra encounter. It is theoretically possible that the hideout will later drop off again, in which case it could become a lair again, although I've never seen that happen.

Quote:
Also, can hunters drop/discard items to replace old ones?

Yes, when you draw an item and are over your hand limit you discard an item.

Quote:
Hunters ally is for every hunter or just the one that pick it? Can you replace them like inventory items?

A hunter ally is for all hunters. If another ally is drawn, the hunters have the choice whether to replace the existing ally with the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.