Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nelson
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated my Monster Mover web app to display line of sight as well.

You can find the app at this URL: http://gloom.aluminumangel.org

To use the app for line of sight, follow these steps:
1. Click the button Show Line of Sight to turn on line of sight.
- This button can be found to the lower-right of the map.
2. Unclick the button Show Movement to stop the app from solving for monster movement.
3. Place an Active Monster on the board.
4. Add Walls and Wall Lines.
5. The monster's line of sight will display in blue.

You can have the app simply start in line-of-sight mode by using this URL: http://gloom.aluminumangel.org/los
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew K
msg tools
Very neat!

Not sure if this feature exists or not, but would it be possible to pre-populate the map by selecting a scenario (/ room?) and the number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karn
Canada
flag msg tools
I've been waiting for the LoS addition.
Love it, thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
Please forgive my ignorance, I am not very well versed in the rules of Gloomhaven. A friend of mine usually just tells me what works and what doesn't.
As far as I know LoS is checked by testing if a straight line can be drawn from any corner of a hex to any other corner of another hex?

Shouldn't the monster in your example be able to see the player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sjöstrand
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dave42 wrote:
Shouldn't the monster in your example be able to see the player?

No, since the corner on the hex with the character (that you have drawn a straight line to) shares the corner with a wall. The straight line can't touch a wall at any point. The grey hexes are walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Please share this on the Gloomhaven subreddit as well, this tool is amazing! Thanks for taking the time to create and share!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Quick question, how does this layout let the monster attack the characters, whereas the above examples, it doesn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Sorry for the image spam, but if you pick a different corner in your example, it looks like the LOS won't hit the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ihasaflavour wrote:
Sorry for the image spam, but if you pick a different corner in your example, it looks like the LOS won't hit the wall.

It touches the wall where it leaves the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
thespaceinvader wrote:
ihasaflavour wrote:

Where it leaves the monster? Is that in the rules, because I thought it only cared about a corner of a tile, to a corner of a tile. In the example I posted, the green line won't touch the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karn
Canada
flag msg tools
ihasaflavour wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:
ihasaflavour wrote:

Where it leaves the monster? Is that in the rules, because I thought it only cared about a corner of a tile, to a corner of a tile.

Except when the corner of a tile also shares the corner of a wall.
Quote:
All ranged and melee attacks can only be performed against enemies within
line-of-sight, which means that a line can be drawn from any corner of the attacker’s hex to any
corner of the defender’s hex without touching any part of a wall

Most people interpret this as a wall interrupting the line of sight before it reaches the corner of the targets hex; however, it's equally valid if the corner of the targets hex also shares a corner with the wall.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense logically (like the example you're refuting where the wall is flat and is in no way visually impeding the character), but them's the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Karnageddon wrote:
ihasaflavour wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:
ihasaflavour wrote:

Where it leaves the monster? Is that in the rules, because I thought it only cared about a corner of a tile, to a corner of a tile.

Except when the corner of a tile also shares the corner of a wall.
Quote:
All ranged and melee attacks can only be performed against enemies within
line-of-sight, which means that a line can be drawn from any corner of the attacker’s hex to any
corner of the defender’s hex without touching any part of a wall

Most people interpret this as a wall interrupting the line of sight before it reaches the corner of the targets hex; however, it's equally valid if the corner of the targets hex also shares a corner with the wall.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense logically (like the example you're refuting where the wall is flat and is in no way visually impeding the character), but them's the rules!

Thanks for the feedback! So how does this make it different in my previous example? Is it becuase the monster isn't touching a wall tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sjöstrand
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ihasaflavour wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! So how does this make it different in my previous example? Is it becuase the monster isn't touching a wall tile?

”Draw a line” from each corner of the monster hex to each corner of the character hex. (That's 36 lines in total) If atleast 1 of those lines can be drawn without it touching a wall at any point (including the starting and ending corners) then there is LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karn
Canada
flag msg tools
So lets look at the example we're discussing first...

I've marked the (obstructed) corners sharing a wall as purple, corners with an obstructed line of sight as red and corners with a valid line of sight as green.

You can draw a line from the monster to either of the valid points, but in my example I'm just going to draw to the closest one.

In this example, there is no clear line of sight, because the only corner that would have been valid, is shared with a wall.

Now lets look at your original example...

Player 2 has a direct line of sight with the rightmost corner, player 1 on the other hand has 3 corners that have a valid line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Karnageddon wrote:
So lets look at the example we're discussing first...

I've marked the (obstructed) corners sharing a wall as purple, corners with an obstructed line of sight as red and corners with a valid line of sight as green.

You can draw a line from the monster to either of the valid points, but in my example I'm just going to draw to the closest one.

In this example, there is no clear line of sight, because the only corner that would have been valid, is shared with a wall.

Now lets look at your original example...

Player 2 has a direct line of sight with the rightmost corner, player 1 on the other hand has 3 corners that have a valid line of sight.

Talking to a buddy, and we came to this conclusion at the same time. Thanks so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nelson
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kielby wrote:
Very neat!

Thanks!

kielby wrote:
Not sure if this feature exists or not, but would it be possible to pre-populate the map by selecting a scenario (/ room?) and the number of players?

Totally possible. That's definitely on my todo list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Barraza
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
This first situation makes no sense of me though. If the map were just shapped slightly differently (the bottom wall tile was just a regular map tile), you could see thee whole hex no problem. But because that bottom hex happens to be a wall, you cant see the whole hex? Shouldn't it only concern the line itself, and not the end points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Frey
Germany
flag msg tools
Trackrise wrote:
This first situation makes no sense of me though. If the map were just shapped slightly differently (the bottom wall tile was just a regular map tile), you could see thee whole hex no problem. But because that bottom hex happens to be a wall, you cant see the whole hex? Shouldn't it only concern the line itself, and not the end points?

This is per Isaac's ruling and RAW, even though the result seems quite counter intuitive to many players. See the whole thread with Isaac's ruling (via Alex on p.5; he also suggests a "edge-to-edge" houserule as a way around the "problem" there) and also the discussion below this quiz item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nelson
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered adding a button that turns on certain popular house rules for players who do not play RAW. On my todo list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.