Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin von Allmen
Switzerland
Zuchwil
Zuchwil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
I want to buy one or maybe two Railroad-Games.
When you are limited to one, which would you buy? Why?
My playgroups have a range from 2 - 5 persons and all are into boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best? Probably something in the 18xx Family.

My personal favorite? Probably something in the Mayfair Crayon Rail Games - most like either Iron Dragon or Martian Rails.

Games that never hit it off with me? Age of Steam or Railways of the World.

I did enjoy Isle of Trains as a filler train game, as well as Yardmaster.

Loosely associated with trains, I really enjoy Brass (and found Age of Industry as meh).

Beyond this, you leave the realm of my experience with "train games" and start going into the general pick-up-and-deliver style games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metamorphose wrote:
Hello.
I want to buy one or maybe two Railroad-Games.
When you are limited to one, which would you buy? Why?
My playgroups have a range from 2 - 5 persons and all are into boardgames.

Power Grid, Baltimore & Ohio, Silverton, 1830: Railways & Robber Barons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no train game expert but of the few I have played this is my suggestion.

Due to player count I would suggest 18CZ it has a great 2 player mode and plays 2-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y V
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Dominion and want a light railgame Trains is the one for you for 2-4 players. Start with the stand alone expansion Trains: Rising Sun as it is better than the base game.
Railways of the World I would recommend as the heavier railgame for 2-6 players. I like the transport aspect of the game; first you lay rails, than you transport blocks between cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express!. It's 4 player max, though.
It's a reasonably fast euro game, not too complex, and in each game you have to choose 2 of the 5 included decks, which adds a lot of flavor and replayability.
Oh, and you can test it on yucata.de, there's also a solo variant against a dummy player.

EDIT: my bad, the solo variant I mentioned above is for Russian Railroads, which is also available on yucata. It's probably unsurprising that I mixed up the two games, Russian railroads is from the same designer and another good suggestion if you're looking for something a bit heavier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If stock manipulation is what you're looking for in a train game, nothing delivers more shouting-at-your-friends per sentence-of-rules than Chicago Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say "Railroad-Games", what does that mean to you?
Are you looking for a railroad theme, route building, stock holding, or something else?

There are some good suggestions already offered below, but which one is best depends on what kind of game you enjoy.

Personally, I think Steam is a fantastic game for any collection. Some hardcore Age of Steam fans dismiss this game without good reason - but the advanced rules in Steam steam aren't that different from Age of Steam and offer some (in my opinion) clear improvements by removing unnecessary randomness. Steam doesn't scale down to 2-players very well with the maps in the box, so you might want to use an expansion set or one of the free print-and-play maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal favorite is Tramways, which has a unique card driven game play with a very small bit of deck building, lots of great route building, mean auctions, and pickup and deliver. It has no stock element whatsoever, but it works great at all player counts from 1 (yes it has a solitaire mode) to 5.

If you are looking for a good one with a stock element, I would suggest Chicago Express as has already been suggested. The strange thing about it is that the stock values only matter for dividends paid out during the game (they have no end-game value if memory serves). It's a great game for sure.

Finally, I might recommend SteamRollers as another great way to get your route building fix in a bit less time than other titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.