Rise of the Necromancers» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Rise my minions - first impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Wauters
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Rise of the necromancers ... Them bones ! Game summary : become the necromancer king by dominating the land and raising the newly burried.

When I noticed this game in KS this was an instant buy as I do love my dead. I like the darker themed games and my warhammer armies do involve undead as well.

The game can be played with 5 players and each chooses a necromancer to start with. You start as an unnamed deadraiser but as you progress and make 'fame' you will become the character you have chosen, you will gather apprentices (soon to be used in exploring dark dungeons and taking the heat instead of you. Your army consists of zombies, hell knights, ghosts and skeletal dragons.

You roam the lands looking for libraries and dark knowledge (spells), workshops to tinker unholy apparata (items), dig land looking for resources (bones, corpses, ichor, scrolls, darkwater), explore dungeons and conquer cities with your symphony of the night. And the rotten cherry on the cake is becoming headmaster of your own academy. Which brings to the different schools : decay, mist, blood and bone. The winning condition is to place 13 control tokens on the board and you self proclaimed king of the hill (where all the corpses are buried).

What you have here is a symmetrical area control game. There is not much variation in spells and the way to victory is fairly limited, winning battles based on dice rolls (can be buffed with cards). The big pro however is the theme, the pletora of item, dungeon, necromancer and apprentice cards (all with beautiful card art including humor) - the cards create variety in the game by the way - and most importantly turns are very fast : there is absolutely minimum downtime and when it is not your turn you need to keep eye on your fellow gravediggers. If not they will caught you by surprise and will steal the victory before you realise it is too late. Happened to me twice during the two games we played in a 3 hour timespan.

Conclusion : it will appear again on the table. I also consider this as part of a necromancer themed gameday. For instance : this one followed by Darkest night 2nd edition should be fun. But I still prefer Cry Havoc and Lords of Hellas for now as more into my league of area control stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.