Hide
4 Posts

John Company» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buying boats and elimination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Leacy
msg tools
Had my first play last night, had good fun but ended up with a couple of questions I could r find an answer for.

1. Director of trade. When offering boats, can a player buy more than one boat? I assume yes given that you can put two captains on the board in one turn.

2. Eliminate. What is the definition of this and how does it work?

E.g. governor of Bombay is eliminated due to an event. Do you discard the governor card or but a black token on it. Can it be reopened through another campaign?

Further e.g. when a presidency is eliminated, can it be reopened in anyway? We played as no.

What happens to all the ships, guns, money etc on an eliminated office/presidency?

Finally is there an FAQ for the evening post cards. We had one cars that was read three different ways by three different players!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. There are no restrictions about the order of selling ships to families by the director of trade.

2. When a company-dominated region is conquered/revolts place a black disk next to the office of the resident/governor.
When there are no regions in a presidency, place a black disk next to the president.

Offices with black disk automatically retire when checking for attrition, and are penalized 2 pounds when scoring.

The office card is then returned to the supply. If the presidency loses its last region, everything on it returns to the supply and it cannot be reestablished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dleacy wrote:
Had my first play last night, had good fun but ended up with a couple of questions I could r find an answer for.

1. Director of trade. When offering boats, can a player buy more than one boat? I assume yes given that you can put two captains on the board in one turn.

No; one captain, one purchase. Unless you have TWO captains and the Director of Trade offers each of your captains in a row a chance to purchase. Under F6, page 12 "...in any order, the Director of Trade offers each captain in this office's holdings the opportunity to buy a ship."

Quote:
2. Eliminate. What is the definition of this and how does it work?

E.g. governor of Bombay is eliminated due to an event. Do you discard the governor card or but a black token on it.

H2 page 17, halfway down the page. "...place a black disk..."

Quote:
Can it be reopened through another campaign?

I interpret it as YES. Opinions below may change my mind.

Quote:
Further e.g. when a presidency is eliminated, can it be reopened in anyway? We played as no.

A3 last paragraph, page 4 "...it is eliminated and never used again."

Quote:
What happens to all the ships, guns, money etc on an eliminated office/presidency?

No idea. I play it that they are eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leacy
msg tools
Thanks all, this pretty much covers it! I had read captain as player so my bad there!

And thanks for the elimination clarification and references! We interpreted that offices can be reopened as well but this doesn't fit with other uses of eliminated wording so thought I'd check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.