Popular Tags: [View All]
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just slightly unsure of this step in the setup for a mission.

Take Mission 1: Prism Lens

Rookie difficulty and 2 Seals.

So we have 1 hard drive primary objective, 1 Photos secondary and 1 Med Kit as other objective.

Now I place the 8 objective location tokens randomly on the objective locations marked on the map. Then reveal the number side of each.

Now in objective location 1 through 4 I put a hostage standee and then put the three mission objectives randomly on location 5,6, and 7. And location 8 gets nothing.

Is that all correct?

Do I need to rescue the hostage standees? Or can I ignore them since they are not my primary or secondary objectives?

Also, the mission ends at the end of the current turn that I pick up the primary objective correct? No need to make it back to the start area or try to find the other objectives or rescue hostages?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SEAL Team Flix Team
msg tools
SEAL Team Flix Official Account
badge
For Prism Lens: Rookie difficulty, 2 SEALS, the only Onjective tokens are: HDD, Photos, and a Medical Kit. The top bar in the chart indicates which to use for Rookie mode with 2 players. Are you looking at the bottom?

So, place all 8 randomizer tokens and flip them up. Replace 1, 2, and 3 with the tokens, face down, ensuring you don’t know which is which. Now remove all of the remaining randomizer tokens.

Unless the Special Conditions tell you to use a Hostage Standie, you use HVT tokens for Hostage objectives. You don’t know where the hostages are until you uncover those objectives, at which point you would replace them with Hostage standees.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you say makes sense to me, but section 9. Place Objective Tokens on page 11 of the rule book is then very confusing.

It says:
"Starting with the "1" Token and continuing in ascending numerical order, replace the Objective Location Tokens in numerical order first with Hostages, then face-down Objective Tokens, until you have placed them all."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That line is a bit misleading... there is at least one scenario that specifically tells you where to place a hostage. Unless the scenario explicitly talks about where hostages are, then you wouldn't know since all the tokens are face down. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SEAL Team Flix Team
msg tools
SEAL Team Flix Official Account
badge
Barthheart wrote:
What you say makes sense to me, but section 9. Place Objective Tokens on page 11 of the rule book is then very confusing.

It says:
"Starting with the "1" Token and continuing in ascending numerical order, replace the Objective Location Tokens in numerical order first with Hostages, then face-down Objective Tokens, until you have placed them all."

I understand your interpretation and how you came to the conclusion. Allow me to explain:

If hostage standies are caled for in the Special Conditions section in the scenario, place them in numerical order prior to placing face-down objective tokens. If the scenario chart indicates “Hostages” this is to mean Hostage Tokens unleass specified otherwise in the Special Conditions.

Remember this golden rule of setup: The chart ALWAYS means tokens unless specified otherwise in the Special Conditions.

Rulebook Page 8, Item 7 shows that all of the boxes in the chart refer to tokens, followed by a statement that the Special Conditions supersede items 7-9. I think the confusion is in that in the initial overview the explanation says that the Objectives section tells you what Tokens and Standees are required. The reason it is worded this way is because the Objective mechanic tells you what you need to do to win, but we also wanted you to be able to glance at it and grab the right tokens and standees out of the box while setting up, to make setup faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, that's clear now.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SEAL Team Flix wrote:
I understand your interpretation and how you came to the conclusion. Allow me to explain:

If hostage standies are caled for in the Special Conditions section in the scenario, place them in numerical order prior to placing face-down objective tokens. If the scenario chart indicates “Hostages” this is to mean Hostage Tokens unleass specified otherwise in the Special Conditions.

Remember this golden rule of setup: The chart ALWAYS means tokens unless specified otherwise in the Special Conditions.

Okay so just to make sure I understood this: despite page 11 step 9 telling me to always place hostages, that actually only applies if BOTH
(a)
there are hostages specifically listed among the objectives for my chosen difficulty and number of SEALs, AND
(b)
the special conditions of the scenario have a special setup instruction telling me to place hostage standees in specific locations.
Only when those two conditions are met does the text in step 9 apply as written.

If (a) is met but not (b) then I just mix the specified number of hostage tokens in with my other objective tokens and place them randomly.

In all other cases, there are no hostages in play. Is that correct?

If so, then the main issue with the wording is that the "placing hostages" is in no way qualified. It just says 'do this, then do this'. Especially because point 7 literally says "some missions require a special setup that modifies or supersedes steps 7-9" so nobody expects point 9 to then go on and call out even such a fringe special setup case. Your expectation as a reader is that you always do 7-9 unless modified by the scenario special conditions so of course you place those hostages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. I apologize for the unclear wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.