BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deep, direct interaction board game to play with my brother rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi everyone! So we are looking for a boardgame with the following:

-plays great with two players(but it has not to be strictly for two)
-it is necessary that the game allows direct confrontation
-deep game, we prefer elegant games but no simple strategies, you have to think hard to beat the other
-needs a board, no just cards, we love tokens miniatures and stuff everywhere haha
-playgame from 30 min to max 1 hour
-dont mind eurogame or thematic but a plus if it has a good theme (my brother loves fantasy settings or ancient civilizations)
-not too much luck, but also not that important
-and most important, it has to be FUN, a board game that its tense, where you laugh when the other gets punished and that kind of things haha

Games we like to play: battle of the five armies(we love it! It fits the long game for two criteria) schotten totten (fits the filler for two eith judt cards) marco polo, hive. And with our friends, TI Rex, cutthroat caverns, el grande, hansa teutonica...

Games we dont like: tash kalar(just dont, dnnt know why) innovation(too much text in the cards), grand austria hotel (too solitaire)

Games we are considering: warhammer shadespire underworld, claustrophobia, santorini, azul, samurai de knizia.

Thanks in advance for the answers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raptor might be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation would work well, great game and very thematic. A Knizia classic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:
Raptor might be worth checking out.

That's exactly what came into my mind lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Claustrophobia should work but haven't played the others.

Just for some others you could look into as we like these because of the more direct interaction and theme and play well at two:

Inis - ancient celt mythology and interactive
Bunny Kingdom
Ethnos
Unfair
Yedo (has a lot of bits and theme)
Theseus: The Dark Orbit - plays best at two
Vast: The Crystal Caverns
Histrio - I just like this one but not for some
Ninjato

You could also maybe try the upcoming Nanty Narking as the base game this is based on was fine at 2 players although not played it myself.

Anyway - some of these not often mentioned and theme might not be right for you but could find something there to suit so thought worth mentioning?

Also if you like schotten totten, you might like Hanamikoji for another filler which makes by brain pop sometimes and 7 Wonders Duel might work for ancient civilisation

Edit - yedo will be too long for what you're looking for so scrap that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fisher
United States
east lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i’ll suggest Lancaster, the worker displacement game, which provides your direct confrontation. the theme is British history. the pieces are good quality. low luck as only the laws and French forces are drawn randomly each round. 2p game IS a different experience from a 3-5p game....not better or worse....just different. but i think it would provide depth as 2 player and would have some Ah Ha moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know you said “must not only be 2p”, but you should really check out Twilight struggle. It’s one of the most elegant 2p games I’ve played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unkynd wrote:
I know you said “must not only be 2p”, but you should really check out Twilight struggle. It’s one of the most elegant 2p games I’ve played.

Will fail on:
- playtime
- too much text on cards [CDG]

OP, how strict is your criteria i.e. what are must haves? To largely fuilfil your criteria, IMO you need to look for strictly 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rentry wrote:
santorini

Your gut on this one is right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB Shimmyo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Santorini is definitely great on all the points you listed.

Tao Long: The Way of the Dragon is a pure-strategy dragon fight game, but it might be a little too abstract at heart? While the rated time is 20min, we've found it usually to be 30 min or a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
it might not look like it but Arboretum has all the interaction you need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruff.
Just use minis and tokens to give the illusion that there are minis and tokens whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi everyone and thank you for the suggestions! We finally got Warhammer Shadespire Underworld and WOW! Honestly if you’re looking for something like we did, definately get this one! So much FUN! The only “negative” point is that u will want to get every single warband to get all the cards hahaha

Also i will check santorini, inis and arboretum for the next game purchase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blackwell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
rentry wrote:
Hi everyone and thank you for the suggestions! We finally got Warhammer Shadespire Underworld and WOW! Honestly if you’re looking for something like we did, definately get this one! So much FUN! The only “negative” point is that u will want to get every single warband to get all the cards hahaha

Also i will check santorini, inis and arboretum for the next game purchase!

Was going to say shadespire is exactly what you are looking for. If you accept a longer play time you’ll have much more options. War of the Ring, SW: Rebellion, twilight struggle, etc, but for under an hour. Shadespire is perfect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.