12 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Path of Progress - Librarian Cornella. Is her ability useless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Fekete

Nevada
msg tools
Is Librarian Cornella's ability useful at all? I can't see why would anyone use it except for the rare scenario when you want to save one breakthrough to get a superproject a bit cheaper. It even costs a water...

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Admittedly Cornella feels weak. The way to look art her is that for 1 water you save an action for getting a specific break through for most projects. Most projects require 1 specific break through, which you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting on 1 roll. (Either shape our face given the wild face of the face die). Usually, it's best to set one die so in the 66% chance you don't roll the other die you need what you do get is one of the two breakthroughs for the alternate option. Then on a second action, you can go to the lab again (which if in the same round, will require water anyways) and set one die so as to complete the pair you need.

The bigger indicia that Cornella is weak (at least compared to the other progress leader) is that Cornella is the only leader whose ability is available as a building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, her ability guarantees that you always get the breakthrough of your choice. So if you go for a Superproject strategy (which you would definitely want to with one of her Path's Evacuation options), this ability is huge. (Spending one less breakthrough on each Superproject is thus beneficial).

But if you don't care about Superprojects, (i.e., going for the Path's other Evacuation option), then yeah, her ability is kinda meh, but still useful as it makes it easier to collect breakthroughs for the other Evac option, but in sets which help for end-game scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it’s very useful to get a superproject early and with a little bit of “discount”. So sad that with her ability you get the most unusuful thing in the game: the superproject!

The problem isn’t the ability itself, the real problem is the superproject!

It’ been one year now that i keep on thinking that path of progress is underpowered, but no one (even the author!) say something to change my mind about this....

I hope the expansion will help to change this situation!

My two cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

But if you don't care about Superprojects, (i.e., going for the Path's other Evacuation option), then yeah, her ability is kinda meh, but still useful as it makes it easier to collect breakthroughs for the other Evac option, but in sets which help for end-game scoring.

[/q]

False! Since only the shape counts towards the “set” bonus, you always can choose the die with the miasing shape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

inzivro wrote:
...you get the most unusuful thing in the game: the superproject!

Say that to the guy who won our last game, using the "Apex of Humanity" evacuation option... he collected four super projects during the game (as everyone else ignored them) and thus gained 19 pts for his Evacuation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

inzivro wrote:
False!

I wouldn't say that my comment is false (!). Look at this way,... it's always better to control the type of resources you gain, even the Breakthrough tiles. That's what I meant by "easier".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, he won,but making how many points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

inzivro wrote:
False!

I wouldn't say that my comment is false (!). Look at this way,... it's always better to control the type of resources you gain, even the Breakthrough tiles. That's what I meant by "easier".

Yes, but if you don’t take the superproject strategy, te ability of chatacter cornella is completely unuseful, so your statement is simply not true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

If you don't care about superprojects at all, and merely want breakthrough for evac + sets, then Cornella is still (mostly) useless, since you can always set the shape die to make programs towards your next set of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anthoes wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

If you don't care about superprojects at all, and merely want breakthrough for evac + sets, then Cornella is still (mostly) useless, since you can always set the shape die to make programs towards your next set of three.

Yeah, Francisco already said the exact same thing, except you said it in a nicer way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you remember your friend’s winning score with path of progress please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.